Cannondale R3000 as crit bike

Art M

Guest
Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is a
decent bike for crits?

I'll be buying from the LBS that sponsors my team. I can
get a discount on some of the bikes including that one.
They also carry Litespeed, Giant, Specialized (just frames
in the latter?)... They offer a good team discount on an
all aluminum S-works frame w/ carbon fork, but to build it
up (my old clunker is 7 spd) would probably cost more than
the Cdale.

Thanks, --Art

Art M wrote:
> Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is a
> decent bike for crits?
>
> I'll be buying from the LBS that sponsors my team. I can
> get a discount on some of the bikes including that one.
> They also carry Litespeed, Giant, Specialized (just frames
> in the latter?)... They offer a good team discount on an
> all aluminum S-works frame w/ carbon

Take a good look at the ride on the Specialized Roubaix.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Art M wrote:

> Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is a
> decent bike for crits?

There's a reason you more Cannondales than just about
anything else at crits.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:29:17 -0400, Top Sirloin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Art M wrote:
>
>> Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is
>> a decent bike for crits?
>
>There's a reason you more Cannondales than just about
>anything else at crits.

Dear Medium-Rare,

Price? Marketing? Attractive colors? Xenophobia? Hypo-
allergenic seats? Creeping Keirin certification? Available
spare parts? War-surplus discounts? Free training wheels?
Aerodynamic decals?

That is, what do you think is the reason? I can guess that
the verb missing between "you" and "more" was "see," but I
have no idea what advantages you have in mind.

Curiously,

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>,
Art M <[email protected]> wrote:
>Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is a
>decent bike for crits?
>
>I'll be buying from the LBS that sponsors my team. I can
>get a discount on some of the bikes including that one.
>They also carry Litespeed, Giant, Specialized (just frames
>in the latter?)... They offer a good team discount on an
>all aluminum S-works frame w/ carbon fork, but to build it
>up (my old clunker is 7 spd) would probably cost more than
>the Cdale.

Any bike that fits and you don't mind crashing is good for
crits. Pick fit over any other factor.

--Paul

I hate being on either end of a sales pitch. I like to hear
all my options, but the owner of the bike shop almost made
it seam like the cdale was the only option. Thanks for all
the comments received thus far. --Art

"Art M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is a
> decent bike for crits?
>
> I'll be buying from the LBS that sponsors my team. I can
> get a discount on some of the bikes including that one.
> They also carry Litespeed, Giant, Specialized (just frames
> in the latter?)... They offer a good team
discount
> on an all aluminum S-works frame w/ carbon fork, but to
> build it up (my
old
> clunker is 7 spd) would probably cost more than the Cdale.
>
> Thanks, --Art

Originally posted by Art M
I hate being on either end of a sales pitch. I like to hear
all my options, but the owner of the bike shop almost made
it seam like the cdale was the only option. Thanks for all
the comments received thus far. --Art
The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If you are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine. However, if you were planning on riding this bike for more than 3 years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds & Specializeds they have.

[email protected] (patch70) wrote:
> The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If
> you are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine.
> However, if you were planning on riding this bike for
> more than 3 years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds &
> Specializeds they have.

These assertions haven't been borne out by my experience
with Cannondale's products (my first one lasted 11 years
before *barely* losing an argument with an Oldsmobile, and
my second has made it 6 years so far). That said, I haven't
been racing crits with them - so maybe going around in
circles really fast and crashing repeatedly wears them out.
(Not that I could imagine crashing repeatedly being good for
ANY bike... ;)

I'll admit, though, that neither of mine is a 3000-level
bike (my first was a -500 and my current one is a -800), so
perhaps my cheaper, heavier frames have also been sturdier.
I've had *other* stuff replaced, like spokes and a cracked
axle - I'm not going out of my way to be gentle on things -
but the frames have held up.

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images,
words, technology

Originally posted by Dan Birchall
so perhaps my cheaper, heavier frames have also been sturdier.
Definitely the cheaper frames are sturdier as you say.
The superlight ones even say on their warranty that they are only good for one - two seasons of racing. Plus, have a look at a cross section of a piece of CAAD7 tubing. It is like aluminium foil.

patch70 wrote:

> Dan Birchall wrote:

> > so perhaps my cheaper, heavier frames have also been
> > sturdier.

> Definitely the cheaper frames are sturdier as you say. The
> superlight ones even say on their warranty that they are
> only good for one - two seasons of racing. Plus, have a
> look at a cross section of a piece of CAAD7 tubing. It is
> like aluminium foil.

They may actually be quite strong, and even fatigue-
resistant, but I'd be afraid of damage with tubing that
thin. Knock the bike over or throw it carelessly in a SAG
vehicle, and it could be done for.

Matt O.

patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Art M wrote:
> > I hate being on either end of a sales pitch. I like to
> > hear all my options, but the owner of the bike shop
> > almost made it seam like the cdale was the only
> > option. Thanks for all the comments received thus far.
> > --Art
>

> The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If you
> are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine. However,
> if you were planning on riding this bike for more than 3
> years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds & Specializeds
> they have.

It has a lifetime warranty for defective labor and
craftmanship and I have personally witnessed many last 8, 9
years racing.

DO you have any facts supporting this claim?

patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dan Birchall wrote:
> > so perhaps my cheaper, heavier frames have also been
> > sturdier.
>

> Definitely the cheaper frames are sturdier as you say. The
> superlight ones even say on their warranty that they are
> only good for one - two seasons of racing. Plus, have a
> look at a cross section of a piece of CAAD7 tubing. It is
> like aluminium foil.

Where in the warranty does it say this about the CAAD7???

Any bike if you wreck it will take abuse regardless of
whether the bike is made of carbon, aluminum or whatever.

In the past, cannondale's bikes where known to crack and
fail, but that was 4 or 5 years ago, not today. The CAAD7 is
no where near as thin as the Bianchi AL tubing.

patch70 <[email protected]> wrote:
>Art M wrote:
> > I hate being on either end of a sales pitch. I like to
> > hear all my options, but the owner of the bike shop
> > almost made it seam like the cdale was the only option.
> > Thanks for all the comments received thus far. --Art
>

>The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If you
>are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine. However,
>if you were planning on riding this bike for more than 3
>years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds & Specializeds
>they have.

I've put 10,000 miles on a CAAD3 road from from 1995,
including 2 crashes.

You might want to try not making sweeping generalities
without some kind of actual data.

Michael

[email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:29:17 -0400, Top Sirloin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Art M wrote:
>>

>>>Any advice on whether a Cannondale R3000 (Shim DA 10) is
>>>a decent bike for crits?
>>
>>There's a reason you more Cannondales than just about
>>anything else at crits.
>

> Dear Medium-Rare,
>
> Price? Marketing? Attractive colors? Xenophobia? Hypo-
> allergenic seats? Creeping Keirin certification? Available
> spare parts? War-surplus discounts? Free training wheels?
> Aerodynamic decals?
>
> That is, what do you think is the reason? I can guess that
> the verb missing between "you" and "more" was "see," but I
> have no idea what advantages you have in mind.

Geometry. Stiffness.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

"patch70" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If you
> are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine. However,
> if you were planning on riding this bike for more than 3
> years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds & Specializeds
> they have.

I wonder where you get your information and why you would
say something that is not true. Below is the actual warranty
from the Cannondale website.

"FRAMES: Cannondale frames (except 2004 freeride, see below)
are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16
Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing
defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of
the original owner."

news:[email protected]...

> "patch70" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > The Cannondale is not a bike that is built to last. If
> > you are happy to replace it in a season or two, fine.
> > However, if you were planning on riding this bike for
> > more than 3 years, I'd look more at those Litespeeds &
> > Specializeds they have.
>
> I wonder where you get your information and why you would
> say something that is not true. Below is the actual
> warranty from the Cannondale website.
>
> "FRAMES: Cannondale frames (except 2004 freeride, see
> below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16
> Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing
> defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime
> of the original owner."

So, regardless of who owns the frame now, the frame is
warranted as long as the original owner is still alive?
--

-- M.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:56:27 -0400, Top Sirloin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:29:17 -0400, Top Sirloin
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>There's a reason you more Cannondales than just about
>>>anything else at crits.
>>

>> Dear Medium-Rare,
>>
>> Price? Marketing? Attractive colors? Xenophobia? Hypo-
>> allergenic seats? Creeping Keirin certification?
>> Available spare parts? War-surplus discounts? Free
>> training wheels? Aerodynamic decals?
>>
>> That is, what do you think is the reason? I can guess
>> that the verb missing between "you" and "more" was "see,"
>> but I have no idea what advantages you have in mind.
>
>Geometry. Stiffness.

Dear Art,

Aha!

What kind of geometry do Cannondales have that the other
bikes lack? I'm assuming (possibly mistakenly) that you
mean handling geometry, not the seat-post x handlebar
position geometry.

That is, do Cannondales have a different rear triangle, a
different front fork and head-tube angle, or what? How does
the geometry help the crit rider? Smoother ride? More
stable? Quicker maneuvering?

I'm just curious, since I have no idea what kind of handling
or ride characteristics would be popular with crit riders.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Marc
Where in the warranty does it say this about the CAAD7???

From the Cannondale website:

http://www.cannondale.com/dt_queries/manuals/0115936.pdf

Optimo and CAAD7 bikes are designed to be today's ultimate lightweight road racing frames. You must understand that Optimo
and CAAD7 bike are intended to give an aggressive racer a competitive edge for a season or two of racing. A less aggressive rider will enjoy longer frame life.
Please understand that you are choosing light weight and a shorter frame life over more weight and a longer frame life. Please understand that you are choosing light weight over more dent resistant or rugged frames that weigh more. All frames that are very light need frequent inspection for cracks that would indicate that the frame is worn out from fatigue.
Optimo and CAAD7 frames are designed to ride, race and win on the road. They are not designed to take abuse or be a rugged
workhorse. Do not install a rack, panniers and go touring! Do not ride cyclocross or off road!

If you need more evidence, go to a bike shop and ask if they have any cross sections of Cannondale tubing...

Originally posted by Michael Press
I've put 10,000 miles on a CAAD3 road from from 1995,
including 2 crashes.
CAAD3, surprising as it may be to you, is not CAAD7. Have a close look at the 3 and the 7. They are different.

Originally posted by Marc
It has a lifetime warranty for defective labor and
craftmanship and I have personally witnessed many last 8, 9
years racing.
Given that the CAAD7's started shipping in January 2002 (according to the Cannondale website, the fact that you have seen them last 9 years of racing is really impressive. Can I borrow your time machine sometime?

patch70 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marc[/i]
> Where in the warranty does it say this about the
> CAAD7???
[/QUOTE]

> From the Cannondale website:
>
> [url="http://www.cannondale.com/dt_...ww.cannondale.com/dt_queries/manuals/0115936-
> .pdf[/url]

<snip>

That is the manual not the warranty. No where does it say
that it only has a one year life expectancy. There is a
lifetime warranty on the bike. Obviously, ligher implies
shorter life, however even a steel bohemoth of a bike
will have a shorter life span if ridden aggressively and
raced in crits.

Originally posted by Marc wrote:
> > It has a lifetime warranty for defective labor and
> > craftmanship and I have personally witnessed many last
> > 8, 9 years racing.
>

> Given that the CAAD7's started shipping in January 2002
> (according to the Cannondale website, the fact that you
> have seen them last 9 years of racing is really
> impressive. Can I borrow your time machine sometime?

I was speaking for Cannondale frames in general not
the CAAD7.

Originally posted by Marc Millstone
That is the manual not the warranty.

Oh, well that completely changes the bike's life expectancy then.

Originally posted by Marc Millstone
I was speaking for Cannondale frames in general not
the CAAD7.
Given the original poster was asking about the R3000, I was referring to that bike. And as Cannondale themselves say that it is good for a year or two of racing (again, see original poster), I stand by my comment that it is not a bike that is built to last.