Cannondale R600

Number 9

Guest
Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
opinions.

Thanks

[email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
> Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
> opinions.

Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or my
current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a hotfoot. ;)

-Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words, technology

Thank you, I'll let you know, it's supposed to be here next week!

"Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
> > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would

like
> > opinions.

> Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or

my
> current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

hotfoot. ;)

> -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
>
> --
> Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

technology

Thank you for the info, it's very helpful!

"Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
> > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would

like
> > opinions.

> Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or

my
> current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

hotfoot. ;)

> -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
>
> --
> Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

technology

I have a 2002 super V 500 (cannondale) not a single problem with it. Love
it.

Jim
"Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thank you for the info, it's very helpful!
>

> "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
> > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and

would
> like
> > > opinions.

> > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500

or
> my
> > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

> hotfoot. ;)
> >
> > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
> >
> > --
> > Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

> technology

The R600 frame was a few years ago the basis of the Profesional
Cannondale frame. This is a frame you can use for years to come... if
you upgrade to the best components in the world... your frame will be
worth it. So for a starter the R600 is one of the best bikes around...
as a frame it can compete with the best Alu frames on the market.

--

Cool, that's what the shop somewhat was saying. Good to hear it from
someone else, Thanks!

"Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The R600 frame was a few years ago the basis of the Profesional
> Cannondale frame. This is a frame you can use for years to come... if
> you upgrade to the best components in the world... your frame will be
> worth it. So for a starter the R600 is one of the best bikes around...
> as a frame it can compete with the best Alu frames on the market.
>

> --

I bought a new R600 with a CAAD4 frame. It did indeed ride fast, and
looked great, but the harsh ride on longer distance rides was tough to
take. I was glad to sell it and build up a steel Lemond frameset which
was much more comfortable. (Oh sure, it wasn't the aluminum, but what
Cannondale did with the material that counted. It still hurt anyway.)

"Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Anyone have experience with [a Cannondale R600]? I just ordered one, and
> would like opinions.

You don't indicate what year or size R600 you are getting.

I'm riding what started life as a 2001 R600, myself. In 2002 I
believe, Cannondale changed the R600 from a CAAD4 frame to a CAAD5
frame. The difference is that the CAAD4 has conventional headtube,
(mine takes a 1-1/8" steerer), and the CAAD5 has an "integrated"
headtube- ie designed for an internal headset.

The fork which came with my R600 is a Slice Prodigy: carbon fiber
forkblades with aluminum steerer. The fork spec'ed on the current
CAAD5 R600 is a Slice Ultra SI. This has different cosmetic treatment
where the forkblades meet the "integrated" headtube, but appears to be
the same otherwise.

It is an awsome frame. It's light and stiff. It has short
chainstays, fashionable for a modern road racing bike. Curved
seatstays mean that you won't be hitting your heals. I've never had
problems with unwanted flex, or deflection at the bottom bracket
shell. I've never found it to be uncomfortable on centuries, either.
(I'm 165 pounds, riding the 58cm frame.)

This bicycle has no accomodation for a rack and panniers, or wide
tires. It is primarily a "fun bike", great for enthusiastic club
riding or entry level racing.

I consider it to be a great buy. It is less expensive than a "built
to order" bike, and is a capable performer with satisfactory fit and
finish, on a par with the better production bicycles around.

The component group on the bike is a very good starting point.
Depending on your level of interest, you may consider upgrading
components in the future, as you wear them out. Examples: the wheels
on the current model are a bit unconventional, for some people's
taste. Also, a Google search on this newsgroup will yield plenty of
complaints about abbreviated service life from 105 STI levers.

The point here, however, is that the foundation, the frame, is quite
nice.

Some of the standard advice applies, of course- be sure to have a
professional bike fitting session. At such time, be liberal in trying
different saddles, seatposts, stems, and bars, as necessary.

It's a great bicycle, and set up properly, will give you many quick
miles of enjoyment.

Regards,
Nicholas Grieco

Nicholas <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[...]
> The fork which came with my R600 is a Slice Prodigy: carbon fiber
> forkblades with aluminum steerer. The fork spec'ed on the current
> CAAD5 R600 is a Slice Ultra SI. This has different cosmetic treatment
> where the forkblades meet the "integrated" headtube, but appears to be
> the same otherwise.

[...]

Looking at their site more carefully, looks like the "Ultra" in
"Slice Ultra SI" refers to a bigger steerer tube. 1-1/4 inches
now, instead of 1-1/8 inches.

Is this a new trend for road bikes? ...with a special integrated/
internal headset, too.

Nicholas Grieco

It is the 2004 CAAD5 frameset. Thanks for run-down of what you have
experienced. I don't know if I'll go past beginning racing yet, shoot, I
just started cycling, so I didn't want to spend an enormous amount of
dollars on something that might not last. Of course I didn't want to get
something that would make me hate cycling all together anyway!

[email protected] (Dan Birchall) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
> > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
> > opinions.

> Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or my
> current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a hotfoot. ;)
>
> -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")

The R600 is a lower end road bike. Probably tiagra level with low end
wheels etc. I dont know if I would say an xr800 goes like a bat out
of hell. I have an 01 and yes it it is faster and more comfy than any
mountain bike it still is not as fast as my Lemond buenos aires.
Cannondales have great frames but their components generally a
piecemeal at a given pricepoint. My 02 Buenos Aires retailed about
$1600 new (i didnt pay that ) with ultegra . You have to go to a R2000
to get full ultegra at about $2000. I love c'dales and have 2 but
they are not a steal or a great bargain

Thank you for your input!

news:[email protected]...

Busterb wrote:
> The R600 is a lower end road bike. Probably tiagra level with low end
> wheels etc.
> According to Cannondale website: It has 105 with low end wheels. The
> quality difference between Ultegra and 105 aint that big at all.
> I dont know if I would say an xr800 goes like a bat out of hell. I have
> an 01 and yes it it is faster and more comfy than any mountain bike it
> still is not as fast as my Lemond buenos aires. Cannondales have great
> frames but their components generally a piecemeal at a given pricepoint.
> This one seems to be ok, even for that price point. Consider that the
> frame isn't just "great" it is actually a Grand Tour winner. A frame
> like that cost 2-3k $ a few years ago. Cannondale is AFAIK the only
> company that let their top-frames trickle down like this.
> My 02 Buenos Aires retailed about $1600 new (i didnt pay that ) with
> ultegra . You have to go to a R2000 to get full ultegra at about $2000.
> I love c'dales and have 2 but they are not a steal or a great bargain

I used to agree, but I actually believe their roadbikes ARE a bargain.
The frames are just too good for that price not to be impressed.

No I am not really a Cannondale fan, though my 100kg+ bro in law bought
the R600. I like a personalized bike (I would maybe pick the Lemond over
the C'dale too!) , but especially for big guys, C'dale is a fantastic
offer. Also, there is no other company that equips their low end with a
frame that is easily worth Dura-Ace or Record.... because that was
actually what Cipolini used when he rode that frame.

So 39 stop talking about it and ride it... rest assured it is a gopod
pick for a first bike and stop thinking about it:)

--

I'm not a c-dale fan . I owned one years ago. It was an ok bike but it
just never felt right & thats difficult to explain. Felt cheep or

Thanks, it will be here next week!