Cannondale R600

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Number 9, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
    opinions.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Dan Birchall

    Dan Birchall Guest

    [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
    > opinions.

    Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or my
    current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a hotfoot. ;)

    -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")

    --
    Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words, technology

  3. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Thank you, I'll let you know, it's supposed to be here next week!

    "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would

    like
    > > opinions.

    > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or

    my
    > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

    hotfoot. ;)

    > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
    >
    > --
    > Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

    technology

  4. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Thank you for the info, it's very helpful!

    "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would

    like
    > > opinions.

    > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or

    my
    > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

    hotfoot. ;)

    > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
    >
    > --
    > Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

    technology

  5. Jim & Meg

    Jim & Meg Guest

    I have a 2002 super V 500 (cannondale) not a single problem with it. Love
    it.

    Jim
    "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thank you for the info, it's very helpful!
    >

    > "Dan Birchall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and

    would
    > like
    > > > opinions.

    > > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500

    or
    > my
    > > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

    > hotfoot. ;)
    > >
    > > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words,

    > technology

  6. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski Guest

    The R600 frame was a few years ago the basis of the Profesional
    Cannondale frame. This is a frame you can use for years to come... if
    you upgrade to the best components in the world... your frame will be
    worth it. So for a starter the R600 is one of the best bikes around...
    as a frame it can compete with the best Alu frames on the market.

    --

  7. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Cool, that's what the shop somewhat was saying. Good to hear it from
    someone else, Thanks!

    "Tuschinski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The R600 frame was a few years ago the basis of the Profesional
    > Cannondale frame. This is a frame you can use for years to come... if
    > you upgrade to the best components in the world... your frame will be
    > worth it. So for a starter the R600 is one of the best bikes around...
    > as a frame it can compete with the best Alu frames on the market.
    >

    > --

  8. flatline

    flatline Guest

    I bought a new R600 with a CAAD4 frame. It did indeed ride fast, and
    looked great, but the harsh ride on longer distance rides was tough to
    take. I was glad to sell it and build up a steel Lemond frameset which
    was much more comfortable. (Oh sure, it wasn't the aluminum, but what
    Cannondale did with the material that counted. It still hurt anyway.)

  9. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Anyone have experience with [a Cannondale R600]? I just ordered one, and
    > would like opinions.

    You don't indicate what year or size R600 you are getting.

    I'm riding what started life as a 2001 R600, myself. In 2002 I
    believe, Cannondale changed the R600 from a CAAD4 frame to a CAAD5
    frame. The difference is that the CAAD4 has conventional headtube,
    (mine takes a 1-1/8" steerer), and the CAAD5 has an "integrated"
    headtube- ie designed for an internal headset.

    The fork which came with my R600 is a Slice Prodigy: carbon fiber
    forkblades with aluminum steerer. The fork spec'ed on the current
    CAAD5 R600 is a Slice Ultra SI. This has different cosmetic treatment
    where the forkblades meet the "integrated" headtube, but appears to be
    the same otherwise.

    It is an awsome frame. It's light and stiff. It has short
    chainstays, fashionable for a modern road racing bike. Curved
    seatstays mean that you won't be hitting your heals. I've never had
    problems with unwanted flex, or deflection at the bottom bracket
    shell. I've never found it to be uncomfortable on centuries, either.
    (I'm 165 pounds, riding the 58cm frame.)

    This bicycle has no accomodation for a rack and panniers, or wide
    tires. It is primarily a "fun bike", great for enthusiastic club
    riding or entry level racing.

    I consider it to be a great buy. It is less expensive than a "built
    to order" bike, and is a capable performer with satisfactory fit and
    finish, on a par with the better production bicycles around.

    The component group on the bike is a very good starting point.
    Depending on your level of interest, you may consider upgrading
    components in the future, as you wear them out. Examples: the wheels
    on the current model are a bit unconventional, for some people's
    taste. Also, a Google search on this newsgroup will yield plenty of
    complaints about abbreviated service life from 105 STI levers.

    The point here, however, is that the foundation, the frame, is quite
    nice.

    Some of the standard advice applies, of course- be sure to have a
    professional bike fitting session. At such time, be liberal in trying
    different saddles, seatposts, stems, and bars, as necessary.

    It's a great bicycle, and set up properly, will give you many quick
    miles of enjoyment.

    Regards,
    Nicholas Grieco

  10. Nicholas <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]
    > The fork which came with my R600 is a Slice Prodigy: carbon fiber
    > forkblades with aluminum steerer. The fork spec'ed on the current
    > CAAD5 R600 is a Slice Ultra SI. This has different cosmetic treatment
    > where the forkblades meet the "integrated" headtube, but appears to be
    > the same otherwise.

    [...]

    Looking at their site more carefully, looks like the "Ultra" in
    "Slice Ultra SI" refers to a bigger steerer tube. 1-1/4 inches
    now, instead of 1-1/8 inches.

    Is this a new trend for road bikes? ...with a special integrated/
    internal headset, too.

    Nicholas Grieco

  11. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    It is the 2004 CAAD5 frameset. Thanks for run-down of what you have
    experienced. I don't know if I'll go past beginning racing yet, shoot, I
    just started cycling, so I didn't want to spend an enormous amount of
    dollars on something that might not last. Of course I didn't want to get
    something that would make me hate cycling all together anyway!

    "Nicholas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Anyone have experience with [a Cannondale R600]? I just ordered one,

    and
    > > would like opinions.

    > You don't indicate what year or size R600 you are getting.
    >
    > I'm riding what started life as a 2001 R600, myself. In 2002 I
    > believe, Cannondale changed the R600 from a CAAD4 frame to a CAAD5
    > frame. The difference is that the CAAD4 has conventional headtube,
    > (mine takes a 1-1/8" steerer), and the CAAD5 has an "integrated"
    > headtube- ie designed for an internal headset.
    >
    > The fork which came with my R600 is a Slice Prodigy: carbon fiber
    > forkblades with aluminum steerer. The fork spec'ed on the current
    > CAAD5 R600 is a Slice Ultra SI. This has different cosmetic treatment
    > where the forkblades meet the "integrated" headtube, but appears to be
    > the same otherwise.
    >
    > It is an awsome frame. It's light and stiff. It has short
    > chainstays, fashionable for a modern road racing bike. Curved
    > seatstays mean that you won't be hitting your heals. I've never had
    > problems with unwanted flex, or deflection at the bottom bracket
    > shell. I've never found it to be uncomfortable on centuries, either.
    > (I'm 165 pounds, riding the 58cm frame.)
    >
    > This bicycle has no accomodation for a rack and panniers, or wide
    > tires. It is primarily a "fun bike", great for enthusiastic club
    > riding or entry level racing.
    >
    > I consider it to be a great buy. It is less expensive than a "built
    > to order" bike, and is a capable performer with satisfactory fit and
    > finish, on a par with the better production bicycles around.
    >
    > The component group on the bike is a very good starting point.
    > Depending on your level of interest, you may consider upgrading
    > components in the future, as you wear them out. Examples: the wheels
    > on the current model are a bit unconventional, for some people's
    > taste. Also, a Google search on this newsgroup will yield plenty of
    > complaints about abbreviated service life from 105 STI levers.
    >
    > The point here, however, is that the foundation, the frame, is quite
    > nice.
    >
    > Some of the standard advice applies, of course- be sure to have a
    > professional bike fitting session. At such time, be liberal in trying
    > different saddles, seatposts, stems, and bars, as necessary.
    >
    > It's a great bicycle, and set up properly, will give you many quick
    > miles of enjoyment.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nicholas Grieco

  12. busterb

    busterb Guest

    [email protected] (Dan Birchall) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and would like
    > > opinions.

    > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500 or my
    > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a hotfoot. ;)
    >
    > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")

    The R600 is a lower end road bike. Probably tiagra level with low end
    wheels etc. I dont know if I would say an xr800 goes like a bat out
    of hell. I have an 01 and yes it it is faster and more comfy than any
    mountain bike it still is not as fast as my Lemond buenos aires.
    Cannondales have great frames but their components generally a
    piecemeal at a given pricepoint. My 02 Buenos Aires retailed about
    $1600 new (i didnt pay that ) with ultegra . You have to go to a R2000
    to get full ultegra at about $2000. I love c'dales and have 2 but
    they are not a steal or a great bargain

  13. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Thank you for your input!

    "busterb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Dan Birchall) wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Number 9) wrote:
    > > > Anyone have experience with this bike? I just ordered one, and

    would like
    > > > opinions.

    > > Not that specific model, but if it's like my dearly departed '88 SR500

    or my
    > > current '98 XR800, it'll probably go like a bat out of hell with a

    hotfoot. ;)

    > > -Dan ("Watch out for that treeeeeeee!")

    > The R600 is a lower end road bike. Probably tiagra level with low end
    > wheels etc. I dont know if I would say an xr800 goes like a bat out
    > of hell. I have an 01 and yes it it is faster and more comfy than any
    > mountain bike it still is not as fast as my Lemond buenos aires.
    > Cannondales have great frames but their components generally a
    > piecemeal at a given pricepoint. My 02 Buenos Aires retailed about
    > $1600 new (i didnt pay that ) with ultegra . You have to go to a R2000
    > to get full ultegra at about $2000. I love c'dales and have 2 but
    > they are not a steal or a great bargain

  14. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski Guest

    Busterb wrote:
    > The R600 is a lower end road bike. Probably tiagra level with low end
    > wheels etc.
    > According to Cannondale website: It has 105 with low end wheels. The
    > quality difference between Ultegra and 105 aint that big at all.
    > I dont know if I would say an xr800 goes like a bat out of hell. I have
    > an 01 and yes it it is faster and more comfy than any mountain bike it
    > still is not as fast as my Lemond buenos aires. Cannondales have great
    > frames but their components generally a piecemeal at a given pricepoint.
    > This one seems to be ok, even for that price point. Consider that the
    > frame isn't just "great" it is actually a Grand Tour winner. A frame
    > like that cost 2-3k $ a few years ago. Cannondale is AFAIK the only
    > company that let their top-frames trickle down like this.
    > My 02 Buenos Aires retailed about $1600 new (i didnt pay that ) with
    > ultegra . You have to go to a R2000 to get full ultegra at about $2000.
    > I love c'dales and have 2 but they are not a steal or a great bargain

    I used to agree, but I actually believe their roadbikes ARE a bargain.
    The frames are just too good for that price not to be impressed.

    No I am not really a Cannondale fan, though my 100kg+ bro in law bought
    the R600. I like a personalized bike (I would maybe pick the Lemond over
    the C'dale too!) , but especially for big guys, C'dale is a fantastic
    offer. Also, there is no other company that equips their low end with a
    frame that is easily worth Dura-Ace or Record.... because that was
    actually what Cipolini used when he rode that frame.

    So 39 stop talking about it and ride it... rest assured it is a gopod
    pick for a first bike and stop thinking about it:)

    --

  15. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    I'm not a c-dale fan . I owned one years ago. It was an ok bike but it
    just never felt right & thats difficult to explain. Felt cheep or
    justs blaa.Same with specialized. I like Klein & Lemond. Just my
    opinion nothing more :)

  16. Number 9

    Number 9 Guest

    Thanks, it will be here next week!