Cannondale R700?

Sebinho

Jul 19, 2004
Still deciding if i should buy a this bike, i'm a beginner so will it fit me?

It's a great frame with some solid, decent componentry. The kind of bike you keep for a while and upgrade piece by piece as you get better.

Also, at CDN$500 it's a steal. I bought my R700 new at an end-of-year-runout sale for AU$2500 (equivalent to CDN$2300) If the frame dimensions fit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

alright thanks, yeah it looks brand new and i hopefully it fits me well.

seb

Definitly a exelent bike, I ride a 04 R1000 (same frame) its a awesome bike. I did about 2 months of research and rode a bunch of bikes before I picked it, nothing rides like that CAAD 7

Sebinho said:

I ride a group ride with a guy who is a Cat 4 racer (he should probably be Cat 3, though) and he whips all our butts on his R700 (I'm talking 20+ MPH avg speed over 50 miles of rolling hills). So, if this bike fits well, then go for it!

Sebinho said:
how would you know if it fits well
Well you could just go to a bike store to try one out and see what size you need, then see if the one you like is the same size as the one online.

Sebinho said:
how would you know if it fits well

That is a good question - with no simple answer, unfortunately.

In my opinion, the first step is to measure some key dimensions of your body and then use some form of fit calculator.

option 1: go to an LBS that seems to have their act together and who offer a "Fit Kit" service - it costs about $80-$100. If you get someone who knows their stuff it is money well spent, but not everyone wants to blow $100 on this sort of thing, so

option 2: got to a web site with a free fit calculator - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO is one that worked well for me. You probably need someone to help in taking some of the measurements.

Then print out the results and use them as a general guide to help you pick a frame size, a stem length and a saddle height. If you ride several bikes that all match your fit calculator results, you can start to get a preference for a particular geometry (standard or compact) and brand (for example, LeMond has a longer wheelbase and you can feel the difference).

It takes a lot of time, but then again you should be able to have the bike for at least 5 years, so 10-20 hours of time doesn't seem too unreasonable.

and now Cycling Shorts - are they necessary and what effects to they give you

Seb

Sebinho said:
and now Cycling Shorts - are they necessary and what effects to they give you

Seb
Shorts help in two ways

1/ the seamless design and padded crotch area significantly reduces the risk of saddle sores, and generally make things more comfortable, especially on long rides
2/ they wick away sweat

You can also get "short liners" to wear under normal shorts that have the padded area, and also cycling shorts that look like normal shorts.

alright, yeah cuz at the moment theres a big sale on all bike equipment. the shorts' prices vary and since there 50 % off should i take advantage?

Seb

Sebinho said:
alright, yeah cuz at the moment theres a big sale on all bike equipment. the shorts' prices vary and since there 50 % off should i take advantage?

Seb

Yes, bike shorts are a must because they help keep the sweat off you by wicking it away thus keeping you drier. (although in CA thats not as big a problem as in Virginia) Plus the padding... well lets just say its a lifesavor after an hour or so in the saddle

Yes, proper cycling shorts with padding is essential for comfortable riding.

Buy a good quality brand with as many panels as you can afford.

Sebinho said:

The CADD5 frame is nice - light and stiff. Mine (58 cm) fit perfectly (data from a bike fitting points to exactly the dimensions of the 58cm frame)

I ride it in Cat4 races (crits, hilly 70 mile road races, etc) and believe me, I can't blame the bike for anything!! I have gone through two upgrades (first to Ultegra, now on Dura Ace 7800) and the frame is still doing its job admirably (and as it's a 2002 Saeco team color model it looks cool, which does count for a lot...)