Cannondale R800 Headset size/type

Doug Taylor

Guest
Replacing the headset on my wife's 1998 Cannondale R800 - I *think* it's a 1
1/8". Any suggestions on which headset to use that is economical yet reliable? Cane Creek? Can I go
threadless w/out replacing the fork?

Thanks -

D Taylor, Southington CT

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dmrZa.11876$ug.3446@lakeread01...
> Replacing the headset on my wife's 1998 Cannondale R800 - I *think* it's a
1
> 1/8". Any suggestions on which headset to use that is economical yet reliable? Cane Creek? Can I
> go threadless w/out replacing the fork?

If it's a threaded headset, it's not likely to be 1 1/8. Finding threaded headset is getting harder,
but not impossible. If you can't find one at your local bike shop (they ought to have them), Cambria
Bikes has Chorus, Ultegra and Stronglight threaded headsets all for under 34 bucks. I have the
Stronglight on a steel frame bike of mine and I like it.

You're gonna have to go to a bike shop though, if you don't have a headset press. I would not take a
chance trying to get the cups on an aluminium head tube without one. John Rees