Cannondale Recalls 2007 Model Road Bicycles Due to Brake Failure

Doc Said: Cannondale Recalls 2007 Model Road Bicycles Due to Brake
Failure

Impossible. Didn't you know, every Cannondale in existence is top of
the line. They are made in America and world championship proven.
sheesh.

I too would be curious to know how the brakes fail.

On 10 Jan 2007 09:06:15 -0800, [email protected] may have said:

>Doc O'Leary wrote:
>> Just in case some don't keep an eye on the CPSC alerts:
>>
>> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07517.html
>>

>Looks like not enough info to me.
>http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6TC1D.html shows that
>bike having Shimano Dura Ace brakes.
>
>What goes wrong with the brakes?

Note that the levers are DA but the brakeset is Cannondale C1 Carbon.

Something tells me that CDale's in-house brakes are not ready for
prime time.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 09:06:15 -0800, [email protected] may have said:
>

> >Doc O'Leary wrote:
> >> Just in case some don't keep an eye on the CPSC alerts:
> >>
> >> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07517.html
> >>

> >Looks like not enough info to me.
> >http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6TC1D.html shows that
> >bike having Shimano Dura Ace brakes.
> >
> >What goes wrong with the brakes?

> Note that the levers are DA but the brakeset is Cannondale C1 Carbon.
>
> Something tells me that CDale's in-house brakes are not ready for
> prime time.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
> Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

They are made by Tektro -
Rick in Tennessee

A Cannondale without brakes is still a better bike than a "made in
taiwan" trek, etc

[email protected] wrote:
> Doc Said: Cannondale Recalls 2007 Model Road Bicycles Due to Brake
> Failure
>

> Impossible. Didn't you know, every Cannondale in existence is top of
> the line. They are made in America and world championship proven.
> sheesh.
>

> I too would be curious to know how the brakes fail.

bigbackpacker said: A Cannondale without brakes is still a better bike
than a "made in taiwan" trek, etc

Spoken like a true lemming, as well as a poser or newbie who hasn't got
enough saddle time to know that brakes are a vital part of the bike.

I'm still waiting to hear why I "wish I rode a Cannondale" instead of
my American made Ventana, which I'd been under the impression I loved
until you straightened me out.

I'm also curious what sort of brakes & derailers you use. I assume
Shimano & Campy, being foreign, are out.

Sorry but the clumsy welds on ventanas hardly compare to the smooth
strong C'dale welds.
Who ever won a world championship on them. They cant even make a road
bike either. MTB's are simplistic. Seems like an overpriced
manufucturer trying to gain cachet by high prices instead of innovation
or real world performance.

[email protected] wrote:
> bigbackpacker said: A Cannondale without brakes is still a better bike
> than a "made in taiwan" trek, etc
>
> Spoken like a true lemming, as well as a poser or newbie who hasn't got
> enough saddle time to know that brakes are a vital part of the bike.
>
> I'm still waiting to hear why I "wish I rode a Cannondale" instead of
> my American made Ventana, which I'd been under the impression I loved
> until you straightened me out.
>
> I'm also curious what sort of brakes & derailers you use. I assume
> Shimano & Campy, being foreign, are out.

>Sorry but the clumsy welds on ventanas hardly compare to the smooth strong C'dale welds.

Clumsy? "Smooth strong c'dale welds"? You're mistaking
esthetics for strength. C'dale does not weld "smooth", nobody
does. C'dale grinds the bead off of their welds in an attempt to
look good. Personally, I think a nice strong weld/bead looks good, and
don't need anyone taking a grinder to the welds on my frame. My
Ventana has been getting used and abused plenty since the 90's, and
every weld is just fine. "Smooth welds" i.e. grinding off the bead
is just another pointless C'dale "innovation", much like the
lefty fork and the .

>Who ever won a world championship on them.

Championships are won by riders, not bikes. A small company not
dropping millions on a high profile rider is hardly a sign they are not
building nice bikes. One may argue the money spent hiring world
champion racers would be better spent on R&D, the facilities, and
keeping costs down. Also, the bikes winning world championships are
not the same bikes you're buying. The bike you're riding is not
the same bike that's in the tour, and any world class rider could get
on a Wallyworld special and spank you on the C'dale of your choice.
You may do well to focus more on the product and less on the money
spent attracting you to said product (i.e. hiring world class racers,
grinding welds smooth, etc).

>They cant even make a road bike either.

They can & do.

>MTB's are simplistic.

Maybe the way you ride them up and down your local fire roads. For
many of us, it's not so simple.

>Seems like an overpriced manufacturer trying to gain cachet by high prices instead of innovation

or real world performance.

I'd assume someone with blind single brand loyalty and no need for
brakes on their bikes would often find things "seem" different than
I interpret them to be.

Dan

My taiwan made Motobecane has the same strong bead.

.. <<C'dale grinds the bead off of their welds in an attempt to
> look good. Personally, I think a nice strong weld/bead looks good, and
> don't need anyone taking a grinder to the welds on my frame.<<

My C'dale F400 is a 98 model and was help up just fine. Smooth welds
and all

> Ventana has been getting used and abused plenty since the 90's, and
> every weld is just fine. "Smooth welds" i.e. grinding off the bead
> is just another pointless C'dale "innovation", much like the
> lefty fork and the .

Equipment plays a vital role in performance. Would a Nascar driver win
in a kis? No. Does a good bike matter?Yes. Sure Cipo will dust all of
us in a sprint on most any bike but if pros (who can afford anything)
dont choose them it says something. Most pro bikes are available for
sale. What differences are there in the top level frames sold by Trek
, Specialed, Orbea etc and those in the Tour?

> Championships are won by riders, not bikes. A small company not
> dropping millions on a high profile rider is hardly a sign they are not
> building nice bikes. One may argue the money spent hiring world
> champion racers would be better spent on R&D, the facilities, and
> keeping costs down. Also, the bikes winning world championships are
> not the same bikes you're buying. The bike you're riding is not
> the same bike that's in the tour, and any world class rider could get
> on a Wallyworld special and spank you on the C'dale of your choice.
> You may do well to focus more on the product and less on the money
> spent attracting you to said product (i.e. hiring world class racers,
> grinding welds smooth, etc).
>
> >They cant even make a road bike either.

If I can walk faster than I 'd ride over terrain what's the point of a
bike?

> >MTB's are simplistic.

> Maybe the way you ride them up and down your local fire roads. For
> many of us, it's not so simple.

I have no extreme brand loyalty. I just buy the best. When I wanted a
racing bike I found steel to be the best so C'dale was out. I chose
Lemond as they are classic steel bikes with great performance.
I like brakes but the specifics of the recall were not very
frightening- only 600 bikes and when looking at the specs the bikes had
Dura Ace brakes so why arent aother makers recalled?

> I'd assume someone with blind single brand loyalty and no need for
> brakes on their bikes would often find things "seem" different than
> I interpret them to be.
>

> Dan

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry but the clumsy welds on ventanas hardly compare to the smooth
> strong C'dale welds.
> Who ever won a world championship on them. They cant even make a road
> bike either. MTB's are simplistic. Seems like an overpriced
> manufucturer trying to gain cachet by high prices instead of innovation
> or real world performance.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>> bigbackpacker said: A Cannondale without brakes is still a better bike
>> than a "made in taiwan" trek, etc
>>
>> Spoken like a true lemming, as well as a poser or newbie who hasn't got
>> enough saddle time to know that brakes are a vital part of the bike.
>>
>> I'm still waiting to hear why I "wish I rode a Cannondale" instead of
>> my American made Ventana, which I'd been under the impression I loved
>> until you straightened me out.
>>
>> I'm also curious what sort of brakes & derailers you use. I assume
>> Shimano & Campy, being foreign, are out.

"clumsy welds on ventanas "

Ha ha ha. Have you ever seen a Ventana up close or rode one? They have some
of the most beautiful and strong welds ever. I'll take a Ventana over a
Crack'n'fail AKA Cannondale any day.

Not very impressive. Just another overpriced brand using high price
to create "cache' ". For less money you get a world championship
proven- handmade in USA Cannondale bike that world class riders use.
Plus anyone can make a MTB . Look at nashbar.com and youll find an AL
mtb frame for <$100 . No difference between that and ventana. When a
maker can create road, cyclocross, mtb, touring, hybrid and every
other type of bike make that brand worthwhile