Cannondale Scalpel questions..

ReflexPoint

Jun 25, 2004
Anyone out there have a Cannondale Scalpel? I'm about to buy the 900 and I'm wondering how to transport it.

I use a towball mounted hitch rack but the bend in the top tube looks to be right in the way of the balancing point where you would hitch the bike, if that makes sense.

I've heard that Lefty's aren't compatible with roof racks that secure with a quick release at the fork, which makes sense, but is an adapter available? Short of pulling the bike to bits and stuffing it my car, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, has anyone heard of the EPO chainstays cracking or failing after extended use? The Scalpels have been out for a few years I think, and my LBS has never had one returned. Has anyone heard otherwise? As I understand it, Cannondale offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and 1 year on suspension parts (but isn't specific on whether the flexing chainstays are part of the frame or a suspension part - I'd assume the latter).

Thanks heaps.

Originally posted by ReflexPoint
I use a towball mounted hitch rack but the bend in the top tube looks to be right in the way of the balancing point where you would hitch the bike, if that makes sense.
Putting a modern Cannondale on a towbar-mounted rack is a very good way to destroy the frame .. the top tube is VERY thin at that section.

I've heard that Lefty's aren't compatible with roof racks that secure with a quick release at the fork, which makes sense, but is an adapter available? Short of pulling the bike to bits and stuffing it my car, does anyone have any suggestions?
You can get adapters for the Lefty fork to get it to fit on a QR-style roof rack, but you still have to take the front wheel off, which is a bit of a chore in itself.

The best options are either

a/ use a roof rack where you don't need to remove either wheel
b/ remove the rear wheel and stuff the bike in the boot of your car

Also, has anyone heard of the EPO chainstays cracking or failing after extended use? The Scalpels have been out for a few years I think, and my LBS has never had one returned. Has anyone heard otherwise? As I understand it, Cannondale offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and 1 year on suspension parts (but isn't specific on whether the flexing chainstays are part of the frame or a suspension part - I'd assume the latter).
I have asked the same at my LBS (I'd love to have a Scalpel to replace my hardtail if/when it dies) and they haven't seen anything strange happen with the carbon chainstays.

That being said though, it's an XC race bike, not a full suspension bike that's designed to take on freeriding/hucking .. have you looked at www.mtbr.com ? That tends to be a pretty good magnet for any bad news about framesets/parts that people have encountered.

Hmm.. Yes, good point about the towbar rack - it could all end in tears.. Sounds like the rear wheel off option is the best.

Thanks for the tip on mtbr.com - I've trolled all the Scalpel reviews I can find on that forum and there doesn't seem to be much bad news.

My LBS told me earlier that they can only get the black 900 into the country. Does anyone have any pics of their black Scalpel 900 they could post so I can get an idea - the Cannondale site wasn't much help..