Cannondale shoes

Steve

Guest
I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?

Steve

Steve wrote:
> I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
> anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?

Caveat with *any* shoes is they have to fit your particular feet, and there's more to fit than a
shoe size. People have different shapes of feet, often narrower or broader than others. I can't use
Shimano shoes and boots, for example, because they're too narrow for me, while others have no
trouble with them.

So best start for shoe selection is try a load of different pairs on in person.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Thus spake Peter Clinch <[email protected]>

> Steve wrote:
> > I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
> > anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?

> Caveat with *any* shoes is they have to fit your particular feet, and there's more to fit than a
> shoe size. People have different shapes of feet, often narrower or broader than others. I can't
> use Shimano shoes and boots, for example, because they're too narrow for me, while others have no
> trouble with them.

> So best start for shoe selection is try a load of different pairs on in person.

Too true. The other factor with shoe fit is depth. Too deep a shoe on a 'shallow' foot will crease
and cut into the foot, too shallow a shoe can cause toenail trouble.

I have far too much experience trying to get shoes...

[email protected] (Steve) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
> anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?

I have a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes (can't remember the model), they're pretty good. My only
complaint are the toe box seems a little stiff and the metal lace loops (not quite eyelets & not
quite lace hooks) are obviously too sharp edged and go through laces very quickly. I've changed to
using 4mm chord from my local climbing shop, much longer lasting. I think the lace loops may be
different by now though as I've had these for about 3 or 4 years.

Have fun!

Graeme

[email protected] (Steve) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
> anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?

I got a pair of Cannondale (C-Soles?) last summer, in a MTB sortofa stylee. They've been great on
and off the bike (except big blisters first long walk after a puncture, but now they're bruk in,
they are fine for 10 miles hikes at least). They've SPD cleats and I use them on my commuter (M515
pedals) and road bike (A515). They dry pretty quickly (overnight) after a soaking. The laces are
fairly strong, and tuck away. I'd buy them again, alright, which is more than I can say for most
bike products (exception: Decathalon - best value out there).

[email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> I have a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes (can't remember the model), they're pretty good.
<snip>

Update - my wife just bought a pair of Cannondale FC610s (female version of the MC610) from EBC. She
tried on a whole load and they turned out the most comfortable (and she's awkward to buy shoes for).
The lace chopping problem won't happen on these as they use plastic eyelets. I must admit I swore
I'd go somewhere other than EBC as they can sometimes be more expensive than other places, however
they were the only place with a decent selection and were the same price as and web based shop I
could find.

Have fun!

Graeme

I have a couple of pairs: they make excellent 'stealth' cycle shoes. Great for cuycling down to a
bar or restaurant in 'normal' clothes.

One small point against them: the tread isn't very hard wearing. If you walk on a lot of pavement or
stone, you'll soon hear your cleats hitting the ground.

--
Jan

Steve wrote:

> I fancy a pair of Cannondale SPD shoes because they actually look normal whilst in town. Does
> anybody have any good or bad experiences with them?
>
> Steve

> Update - my wife just bought a pair of Cannondale FC610s (female version of the MC610) from EBC.
> She tried on a whole load and they turned out the most comfortable (and she's awkward to buy shoes
> for). The lace chopping problem won't happen on these as they use plastic eyelets. I must admit I
> swore I'd go somewhere other than EBC as they can sometimes be more expensive than other places,
> however they were the only place with a decent selection and were the same price as and web based
> shop I could find.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Graeme

Cheers for that Graeme!

One of my concerns was that the chunky tread looked like it may hinder SPD entry, both connecting
onto and off the pedal.

Does it look like it may be a problem?

Steve

[email protected] (Steve) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> Cheers for that Graeme!
>
> One of my concerns was that the chunky tread looked like it may hinder SPD entry, both connecting
> onto and off the pedal.
>
> Does it look like it may be a problem?

Not really. The grips on my own boots are probably chunkier and I have no problems at all. Mind you,
we both have "SPD only" pedals rather than "SPD and platform combined" so I can't vouch for that
kind of pedal, though I have similar concerns to you about that type.

Have fun!

Graeme

[email protected] (Steve) wrote:
> One of my concerns was that the chunky tread looked like it may hinder SPD entry, both connecting
> onto and off the pedal.
>
> Does it look like it may be a problem?

I chamfered the tread back a little around the cleats, to the left and right, which made it easier
to clip in and out.