Cannondale Six13 Crankset Choice

Nick-NH

Sep 25, 2003
I'm ordering one of the new Six13's and am trying to make the decision between Record and Dura Ace. I love problems like this :) All things being equal I'd probably go with DA just because of the cost however in this case it means choosing between the Shimano DA crank and Cannondale's Hologram crankset. Has anyone ridden Hologram and been able to compare it to the new DA? Much thanks in advance, Nick

hey mate i use the new 10 speed dura ace crank and i have used the cannondale one as well.
the problem with the cannondale one is that its an over sized BB so it means that u can not put a stand crank on later on if you want to go to a different crank.

but if you go for the the shimano one then you can use different cranks later on cause the BB is all the same size.

the new dura ace crank is very nice and very, very stiff.

i would go the new dura ace cause of that fact you can change your crank later on if you want to and that they are very stiff as well.

wow, didn't know the six13 is orderable already.

would it be possible to ask how much you paid for it? does it come in different configurations such as the Optimo frame in R1000, R2000, etc, models?

thanks.

Originally posted by moyke
wow, didn't know the six13 is orderable already.

would it be possible to ask how much you paid for it? does it come in different configurations such as the Optimo frame in R1000, R2000, etc, models?

thanks.

I got a deal through my club but you can expect to pay around $4200. [US] for a Dura Ace model. You can see the models on the Cannondale site below and this "PlanetCycle" place has posted prices and pics:

http://www.legalizemycannondale.com
http://www.planetcycle.com/613/
http://www.planetcycle.com/613/ExclusiveImages.html

I think that in all cases you're looking at the same Six13 frameset and need only choose your size and group -

Originally posted by 6.74
hey mate i use the new 10 speed dura ace crank and i have used the cannondale one as well.
the problem with the cannondale one is that its an over sized BB so it means that u can not put a stand crank on later on if you want to go to a different crank.

but if you go for the the shimano one then you can use different cranks later on cause the BB is all the same size.

the new dura ace crank is very nice and very, very stiff.

i would go the new dura ace cause of that fact you can change your crank later on if you want to and that they are very stiff as well.

Thanks! Would you say there was any performance difference that was noticeable? My understanding is that Cannondale is coming out with an adapter that'll allow the use of a standard BB / crank in the Hologram frame. This is to accomodate the Saeco team who want to train on their same bikes using Powermeter cranks. Even with an adapter it seems like too much to deal with though.

well mate if cannondale are doing that then i wouldnt realy worry about it cause the idea of the cannondales hollowgram crank was to save wait and now if you to add bracket that would allow you to use a different BB then any wait saving is gone and its not worth paying the $600us more for it.

i would stay with the new dura ace as i think they are a lot better crank mate.

i use the new dura ace on my bike and it weights in for 6.52kg for a 56cm frame so ye. i hope that give you some idea on what way to go.

plus i sell cannondale as im a bike dealer mate.
so if you need to know anything else then feel free to ask me.

go the dura ace crank mate its realy a realy stiff crank and pretty lite as well.

Originally posted by 6.74
well mate if cannondale are doing that then i wouldnt realy worry about it cause the idea of the cannondales hollowgram crank was to save wait and now if you to add bracket that would allow you to use a different BB then any wait saving is gone and its not worth paying the $600us more for it.

i would stay with the new dura ace as i think they are a lot better crank mate.

i use the new dura ace on my bike and it weights in for 6.52kg for a 56cm frame so ye. i hope that give you some idea on what way to go.

plus i sell cannondale as im a bike dealer mate.
so if you need to know anything else then feel free to ask me.

go the dura ace crank mate its realy a realy stiff crank and pretty lite as well.

Thanks for the advice! I went Dura Ace and saved the money and the BB hassle. I was surprised that the DA Six13 model comes with the Shimano wheelset rather than the Ksyrium SL's. I may have to switch those out!

Originally posted by Nick-NH
Thanks for the advice! I went Dura Ace and saved the money and the BB hassle. I was surprised that the DA Six13 model comes with the Shimano wheelset rather than the Ksyrium SL's. I may have to switch those out!

ill take em!

I would go for the Record and get the Cannondale crank/bottom bracket. I just held one in my hand an hour ago and it is really light (and a fine pice of machine work). The Cannondale rep said it is 40 grams lighter than the DA setup.

He said the team riders had been riding the crank/bottom bracket setup for a while with no problems. It seems the only thing they can wear out is some replaceable bearings.

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
I would go for the Record and get the Cannondale crank/bottom bracket. I just held one in my hand an hour ago and it is really light (and a fine pice of machine work). The Cannondale rep said it is 40 grams lighter than the DA setup.

He said the team riders had been riding the crank/bottom bracket setup for a while with no problems. It seems the only thing they can wear out is some replaceable bearings.

Thanks dude but 40 grams is about 1.3 ounces. That's a little less than a traditional shot glass! Simoni can afford it but I'll take the shot and the $1200. difference. :)

I hear you, $30 per gram is a tough sell and doesn't make economic sense (ignoring the fact that a $4k+ bike is questionable from an economic standpoint anyway). But you are worth it, and won't you always wonder? If I was getting ready to cut the check, I suspect I would do the DA also.

Congratulations on your new bike :D I'm insanely jealous, my dream bike is a six13 with Dura-Ace. I'll be even more jealous if you ordered it in blue btw ;)

Originally posted by Nick-NH
Just out of interest, for what reasons are you considering this? From looking at stats and spec sheets, there doesn't seem to be much of a muchness between the 04 SLs and the new Dura-Ace wheels. Anyone out there ridden both and have an opinion?

Originally posted by rek
Congratulations on your new bike :D I'm insanely jealous, my dream bike is a six13 with Dura-Ace. I'll be even more jealous if you ordered it in blue btw ;)

Just out of interest, for what reasons are you considering this? From looking at stats and spec sheets, there doesn't seem to be much of a muchness between the 04 SLs and the new Dura-Ace wheels. Anyone out there ridden both and have an opinion?

Sorry, It'll be red. Red is faster ya know :) I'll post pictures when it arrives - not really expecting it until the week of 4/19 though.
I don't actually have personal experience with either the DA or the 04 SL's. I have heard nothing good about the 03 DA though, and everything good about the SL's. It sounds like once you go with Ksyriums you don't want to go back -

I just bought the Six13 Team Replica. I put on the new Ultegra 10 speed with the Cannondale gold crankset. This bike is real fast and light. I am a fairly new cyclist started this past July and this is the second bike I bought since then.

This is an amazing bike.

Have anybody noticed any significant difference in stiffness between Cannondale SI crankset with C'dale bb and DA10 crankset? I Broke my caad7 down and going to order six13.

I ended up getting the full team edition with record and the hollowgram crank. It's an awesome bike and just the difference in technology / components added 1mph to my average speed. I can't speak to the DA difference but I can say that after 1000 end of season miles I continue to be very very happy. I'm 6'2" and 180lbs and ride a 60cm frame. There's no creaking, no real flex in the bottom bracket, no real noises of any kind. It's quiet, fast, and light - about 17lbs with speedplays. Awesome!