Cannondale Synapse 2 vs. Giant OCR C2 Composite

kokomo61

Oct 19, 2006
Of the bikes I've ridden, the Giant OCR1 and Specialized Roubaix have been my favorites. I'm supposed to ride a Cannondale Synapse Alloy shortly, but I've got an interesting deal in front of me:

Giant OCR C2 Composite: $1200 - Cannondale Synapse Alloy 2 - $1150.
According to the specs, the Giant is the much better deal - AND I liked the ride/handling of the Giant better than the other bikes I've ridden. Is there any reason NOT go go with the carbon fiber bike?

Giant: - $1200
Compact Road Frame SizingsizeMcolorComposite/BlueframefomulaOne Composite, Compact Road DesignforkfomulaOne Composite, 1 1/8" w/Alloy steerershiftersShimano Ultegra STI, 10 speedfront derailleurShimano Ultegrarear derailleurShimano UltegrabrakesAlloy Long Reach, Dual Pivotbrake leversShimano UltegracassetteShimano Ultegra 12/25T, 10 speedchainShimano UltegracranksTruVativ Fouleur GXPTriple, 30/39/52TBBGiga X DriverimsShimano R550hubsShimano R550spokesShimano R550tiresMichelin Pro Race, 700x 25chandlebarEaston EA50stemEaston EA50headsetFSA Orbit ACB, 1 1/8"seatpostGiant Composite w/ micro adjust, 27.2saddleFi'zi:k Vitesse Twinn Tech TI railpedalsShimano PD-M520

Cannondale Synapse Alloy 3 - $1150

FrameSynapse AlloyForkSynapse S.A.V.E., carbonRims/WheelsShimano WH-R550HubsSee Rims/WheelsSpokesSee Rims/WheelsTiresHutchinson Top Speed, 700 x 23cCranksetShimano 105 TripleChainwheel50/39/30Front DerailleurShimano 105Rear DerailleurShimano UltegraRear CogsShimano 105, 10-speed: 12-25ShiftersShimano 105HandlebarsCannondale FireStemCannondale 3-D forged-aluminumBrake LeversShimano 105BrakesShimano 105SaddleCannondale RoadSeat PostCannondale carbon-wrapped

If your question is whether or not carbon fibre is a good choice for a frame material, yes, no and well it depends. Yes carbon is a great ride (often), lightweight (mostly) and definitely high on the sex appeal scale. All frame materials have their pros and cons. Ride the other bikes you're interested in and use your best objective (price to value) and subjective (feelings) to pick the bike you like riding the best. How can you go wrong with any of these bikes, really? You'll hopefully spend more time on it then looking at it, and anyone who matters will be more impressed with your "legs" rather than your bike once you start rolling.

CDAKIAHONDA said:
If your question is whether or not carbon fibre is a good choice for a frame material, yes, no and well it depends. Yes carbon is a great ride (often), lightweight (mostly) and definitely high on the sex appeal scale. All frame materials have their pros and cons. Ride the other bikes you're interested in and use your best objective (price to value) and subjective (feelings) to pick the bike you like riding the best. How can you go wrong with any of these bikes, really? You'll hopefully spend more time on it then looking at it, and anyone who matters will be more impressed with your "legs" rather than your bike once you start rolling.
Thanks for the reply - I'm not buying the bike to impress anyone other than myself. You're right, they're all good bikes - the only thing I worry about is the CF frame - Giant supposedly has a lifetime warranty on the frame, and the components are one level up on the Giant, too (Ultegra 30 sp vs. the 105 drivetrain on the Cannondale). I just don't want to make a mistake and buy a bike that I'm disappointed in......is the Giant a good buy @ $1200 USD?

Frame materials:
I road race a carbon Cervelo R2.5, Time trial an aluminum Cervelo P-3SL, ride an aluminum with carbon stay Bianchi Giro when the weather is bad, and my wife loves her steel custom Serotta CX-IIcs (carbon stays) for tri. Giant has a good reputation, I believe their frames are made in Korea, or Taiwan just like almost everybody else. In-fact, Giant is one of the world's largest maker of bike frames if I'm not mistaken (I am often though.) I believe their frames are re-branded by a score of other manufacturers as well.

The major drawbacks to carbon fibre is that the material does not respond well to impact. You will break carbon fibre before you will bend it so to speak. When it fails, it usually fails catastrophically in that regard. Aluminum is much the same. Both materials can be fixed, but often the expense is not worth it. I have crashed both frame types (only cosmetic damage), and both bikes are fine and raced regularly. I have them inspected for cracks and damage periodically. How likely are you to need to worry about crashing? Are you racing? Triple crank? 25c tires?

The other disadvantage to carbon can come from delaminating. The tubes are joined together and can seperate. I don't know the specifics of this frame, the types of lugs etc... some R-2.5 frames like mine are being recalled by Cervelo right now, mine isn't one or I might be upgrading to a Soloist carbon for $300 (the R-3 is kinda cool though). Oh well. Check the warranty for Giants policy on delamination (do they have a crash program?)

The short of this long post is, Yes $1200 for an Ultegra bike is a "good deal," a carbon frame from Giant just makes it better.

Have you ridden THIS bike???