Cannondale Synapse Carbon frame - Opinions

alig

Sep 21, 2006
Hi all.

I've been given the opportunity to purchase a Cannondale Synapse 2007 carbon frame. I've determined that its the correct size for me.

It includes the Cannondale carbon SI crank with BB, Carbon seatpost, headset and stem, wheel skewers and rear derailleur hanger.

My question is will I be able to use an existing wheelset from a Giant CRX3 (8 speed SRAM cassette and 8 speed KMC chain), along with an 8 speed deore rear derailleur to get the bike running for now until I can upgrade to better components?

Also, are there any issues with the proprietry BB system?

Any advice is very much appreciated

alig said:
I've been given the opportunity to purchase a Cannondale Synapse 2007 carbon frame. I've determined that its the correct size for me.

It includes the Cannondale carbon SI crank with BB, Carbon seatpost, headset and stem, wheel skewers and rear derailleur hanger.

My question is will I be able to use an existing wheelset from a Giant CRX3 (8 speed SRAM cassette and 8 speed KMC chain), along with an 8 speed deore rear derailleur to get the bike running for now until I can upgrade to better components?

Also, are there any issues with the proprietry BB system?
First, yes, your 8-speed components can be used on the Cannondale frame ...

Now, FWIW, I am personally not keen on proprietary BBs ... in fact, it is a nuisance having frames with English (of course), Italian, and French (!?!) threaded BB shells ... but, probably not as much of a potential nuisance as having a proprietary BB ...

The potential nuisance (which doesn't affect most people & their bikes) will come about if you ever decide that you want to change crank arm length because your choices will be limited -- very limited -- unless Cannondale has an insert (like the Pinarello M.O.st) which will allow you to use a standard BB.

In addition to changing to a crank with a different arm length, if you ever damage the crank (that happens), you will be limited in the replacement options if an BB shell insert isn't available.

^^^First of all, yes, Cannondale does make an insert to allow the use of a "conventional" bottom bracket in their Synapse carbon frames. The only caveat is (I believe) once you've installed the insert you cannont un-install it...so you can't change your mind twice.

Furthermore, if you were interested in upgrading from the Cannondale carbon SI cranks you could always do a direct retrofit to the Cannondale Hollowgram cranks, which, by most accounts, are one of the finest cranksets available anywhere. Certainly one of the stiffest & lightest.

I've had a Synapse Carbon 2 since July 2006, and as best I can tell the frame/fork is beyond reproach. I've had some problems with the carbon SI crankset (which, btw, is made by FSA) and apparently I'm not alone in that regard. But the bike rides like butter, so I'm very happy with the purchase overall.