Cannondale?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Luke Schierts, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Luke Schierts

Luke Schierts New Member

I'vr read through a lot of posts on this forum and I never see anyone mention Cannondale. My lbs carries Cannondale & Specalized. I've ridden both and like the Cannondales better. I'm actually trying to decide between the six13 and the systemsix. I was wondering if anyone has any input on either of these two bikes or is there another bike that I should be considering? my price range is around $3000-$3500. Thanks

Tags:

2. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

It really depends on what kind of riding you're going to do and what you're looking for in a Bike...
    I've been riding a Six13 Team (Record) for almost two years now and love it, I haven't ridden a system 6 yet, however, The company’s test lab data indicates that the new System Six down tube is 44 percent torsionally stiffer than the Six13 down tube. The top tube tests 304 percent laterally stiffer. The head tube is 36.8 percent stiffer....

If you're looking for an all Day comfy bike you might also consider the Cannondale Synapse Carbon one...

But like I said, it depends on what you're going to use your next ride for...

3. Luke Schierts

Luke Schierts New Member

I rode the Synapse and didn't care for it, the steering felt too slow. My decision would be getting a systemsix with ultegra or a six13 with DA stuff. The prices are fairly close ($3200 for the six13 or $3500 for the system six) both have the ksyrium elite wheels.

4. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I agree, the Synapse is more of a relaxed geometry, more of a comfy ride, it's pretty much a "Century" Bike, that's what it's designed for and Cannondale did a good job with it....

5. astroluc

astroluc New Member

I don't have much experience with the high-level Cannondales, but I do have experience with both Specialized and Cannondale in general... about 2 years ago I bought a CAAD 7 R700; it was a toss up between that and an Allez Sport. When it ccame to the geometry I liked the 'Dale better; I'm not a big fan of the compact geometry of the Spec's... Though Specialized are a great company (all my gear is their BodyGeometry) I just feel you get more 'bike' with a Cannondale; especially in a road bike.

For MTBs there's no beating the Stumpjumpers.

just my novice $.02 & good luck with whatever you get!

6. graphixgeek

graphixgeek New Member

I'm quite happy with my caad8 R700!! I too decided on the C'dale over the Specialized. I do own a Specialized MTB so it's not that I don't like them. I do second the post that C'dales seem to be more of a traditional road bike in terms of feel and performance; which was what I was looking for.

7. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

I agree with Peter (Jaguar). I've been on the Six13 not quite as long as he has, and I love it. Quick, reponsive, light, climbs like a dream. I like it so well that I sacrificed my left hip to protect the bike in a crit crash two months ago!

I also have a Cannondale R700 and recently bought the new Cannondale Caad 9 for my son. My most recent purchase -- it just came in yesterday -- is a Cannondale Optimo for cyclocross. There were a bunch of brands to choose from, but I've been too happy with Cannondales to go with anything else. (By the way, the Caad 9 is awesome.)

8. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Hey Ash! Sorry to hear about the Hip, is it OK now?

Yes, I've certainly loved every mile on my Six13, however, I'm just about to order my next Ride, an ID8 from Seven Cycles...my first ever Bike made just for me, so I'm looking forward to it!!

9. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Ditto to these comments.
    I have been on my Six13 Pro Shimano compact and love the bike on the hills and the flats. I still love my Felt, but the six13 has become my primary bike.

10. melslur

melslur New Member

Anyone have comments on Cannondale's stock price? The ticker is BikeQ in the US. It's about $0.05. Seems like Cannondale makes great bikes, but makes a terrible investment.

11. navitatl

navitatl New Member

I got a Cannondale SR500 about an hour ago. I rode it home from the shop, and I've loved it so far.
    Sorry, that's probably irrelavent.

12. vascdoc

vascdoc New Member

I have been riding the Six13 for two years and over 6000 miles. It is a great bike. I have typically ridden at least 3 centuries per year. The bike is fantastic and rides well even over gravel roads. It corners well and is very well behaved on descents.

I do not have any experience with the systemsix.

13. hjbiker43

hjbiker43 New Member

I have a CAAD5 R2000 which I trully love. I did test ride a top of the line Six13 a few months ago and it was fantastic (DA and K wheels probably had a lot to do with it)! Cound be one in my future. My point: Cannondale makes great bicycles!!!

14. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I too am becoming enamored with the SystemSix and its awesome rigidity figures. I just bought a bike three months ago or I'd be seriousely looking at it. Last I knew Cannondales rode horribly, but I guess thats not the case anymore (not for a long time). Understand I was out fo cycling for over 12 years!!

15. astroluc

astroluc New Member

really!? I didn't ride for nearly 10 years (1996-2005) but I had always thought of Cannondale as 'the hotness' even back in my (more)naiive days... I love my (bargain)'Dale. rides like a dream for this 200 lb'r

16. Mr. Mxyzptlk

Mr. Mxyzptlk New Member

I just picked up my System Six this past weekend. My first road bike in many years. It is a rocket.

17. janiejones

janiejones New Member

I have always thought of Cannondale making excellent bikes - I was almost going to buy one, but what you can get over here for the same price - I thought the C'dales were a little too pricey.

18. LBCBJ

LBCBJ New Member

IMO, Cannondale can't be beat. I own a Synapse Carbon myself (and plan to purchase another cannondale in the future), and have always viewed the companies products as quality, thorough-breed racing machines. I have found their customer service to be unbeatable, as they offered to replace my entire frame after one of the threads which holds the bottle cage screw (and cost about 5 cents) broke off, no questions asked. That being said, while Cannondale is a pretty large company relative to others in the bike market, they seem to have been overshadowed recently by some of the more "trendy" bike manufactures (i.e. trek, cervelo).

And just a word of advice, but if I were you, I'd consider holding off on a purchase of a system six or six 13. With the release of Cannondale's new Super Six all-carbon bike in the next few months, the company has stated that the price of the two bikes will be slashed about $800-1000.

Brent

19. LBCBJ

LBCBJ New Member

Very interesting that you would bring that up. Cannondale is actually no longer a public company, having been recently bought out by a private equity firm after Cannondale filled for Ch. 11 in 2003.

But you're right, the bicycle industry is quite a horrible investment, even as many thought that Lance Armstrong could revive cycling in the U.S., I believe that bicycle sales continue to decline, in addition to a very competitive market (especially in time when many companies have outsourced to Asia while cannondale has kept production in the U.S., with the exception of the Synapse carbon model). The only exception I can think of is Trek, whose profits have increased nearly 10 fold since they began sponsering Armstrong in the late '90s.

In any case, from what I understand, Cannondale's bankruptcy was not due in part to losses from its cycling division, but due largely to its attempt to enter the ATV and motorcycle market, which was a flop, and has since been dropped as Cannondale has re-focused on its bicycles.

20. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

I am very fond of my Cannondales. I've ridden a Six13 for the last two years and before that I had a CAAD5. I love them both...particularly the Six13. I guess the best compliment I can give it is that I don't think about the bike at all while riding it. It simply does what I want it to do.

There probably won't be much of a difference in the Six13 and the SystemSix. They both have the same geometry and the CAAD9 rear end. I think the only difference is that the SystemSix has a beefed up bottom bracket and a carbon head tube. I don't really know what x% torsionally stiffer means. Sometimes I think that stuff is just marketing. Anyhow, its been proven that 83% of all statistics are just made up. So, if you don't notice any difference in the stiffness, it probably doesn't matter in the real world. If you notice a difference, go with the bike you prefer.

There will be a huge difference between these bikes and the Synapse. Synapse is a century/comfort bikes. The Six13 and SystemSix are crit bikes.

My only reservation about the Six13 is that they originally had a reputation for getting cracks in the top tube. In fact, I actually saw a Six13 crack in half during a race...top tube and down tube both snapped so that the bike was in two pieces. I understand that problem was solved when Cannondale shortened the length of the aluminum portion of the top tube.

I understand that the bike portion of Cannondale has always been profitable. Just dragged down by the investment they made in motorcycles. LeBron James just bought a stake in the company.