General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Canon EOS 300D

Started by Paul Saunders · · Last activity · 404 posts · 18,755 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 January 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Paul Saunders
Posts
404
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
18,755
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 404
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Carol Haynes said:
    Quoted message said:

    Going for s339 afterwards

    Not sure if that is a statement or question. I am doing S399 next Feb and the summer
    school in July.

    Carol

    Sounds good. A while back I did a couple of their courses and really enjoyed them. The science
    foundation course was fun - I got two enormous boxes of equipment through the post, containing all
    sorts of goodies to play with for six months or so.

    --
    Paul My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003): paulrooney.netfirms.compaulrooney.netfirms.com 114
    Wainwrights

    Please sponsor me for the London Marathon at: justgiving.comlondon2004

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, Carol Haynes
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    The EOS300D does have a shutter Paul - and as far as I can work out you can't use the LCD for
    composing shots.

    I am the proud owner of one. Very nice too ... just got to work out how it all works now as the
    manual is brief to the point of minimalism, and I haven't had enough spare time to play (what with
    work and exam revision)!

    Carol has persuaded me to buy one - here are a couple of early efforts.

    graigroad.demon.co.ukgyhirych.htm

    " " " " " / landscape.htm

    " " " " " /copse.htm

    " " " " " /pyfview.htm

    The last one is my favourite "test" location for a Pen-y-Fan shot.

    All taken with a polariser attached and taken in point and shoot mode
    :-)

    The original files were 18Mb each.
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> writes

    I'll try to answer ste and Paul in one go,

    Quoted message said:
    ste © said:

    Lucky you Bill! And nice photos too.

    Yes, I'll second that, very nice photos Bill.

    Thanks both of you for your nice comments

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'll look forward to seeing your other images as you get them. I bet you've made Paul really
    jealous by getting this camera? ;o)

    You just wait, I'll catch up...

    Maybe but HE has a Nikon scanner :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    And 18mb a photo? Was this on a TIF mode? My RAW photos are only about 4mb and that's for 5
    megapixels.

    Must have been. RAW images are compressed (that's non-lossy compression as compared to jpeg's
    lossy compression). I believe that at full size 1MP = roughly 3 meg (for a 24 bit image, double
    for a 48 bit).

    Well as you may know you can select the resolution you want and it ranges from small fine or coarse
    through medium fine or coarse to large fine or coarse then you can also save in Raw mode. Mine were
    in large "smooth" mode which is a jpg file. At least that was the file size when I saved it in PS.

    Quoted message said:


    My new scanner produces 120 meg images at 48 bit, that's 60 meg at 24 bits. So that's 20MP
    images. ;-)

    Good old film eh?

    What's that?

    Quoted message said:


    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003 wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html wilderness-wilderness-
    wales.co.uk photosig.comuserphotos

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Well it is an SLR, and as such, you'll probably want to put different lenses on it, so there
    wouldn't be much point in having a case that would only fit with one particular lens attached.

    But CANON do have a case which fits the 300D + 18/50..lens, but as an optional accessory :-(

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Ah, well if you saved it as a jpeg in PS, then that may explain it. You have a habit of saving at
    quality 12, don't you Bill?

    Have I?...:-) Well you told me to save at high quality :-)

    Quoted message said:

    At that quality there is virtually no quality lost at all in a jpeg, so the file size is
    practically as big as if it weren't compressed at all.

    I have to say the quality IS very good.

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Bill must have saved his file in BMP, TIFF or PSD format for it to have been that large.

    At the expense of repeating myself, I took the photo in the 300 D at "Large-fine" setting then
    opened the file in PS. When I saved the file,
    PS set the quality to high (10/12) and the file size was then 18Mb.

    In the camera you get 38 shots of image size 3.1 Mb at this resolution as JPG

    As for TIFF, BMP or PSD in a nut shell. what are they ;-/ really they were JPG.
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  7. Quoted message said:

    Re the 300D, Capture one have announced 300D raw conversion software. Capture one is very popular
    with "pros"

    see pictureflow.compictureflow.com

    Thanks Mark.

    The link to Michael Reichmann's review of the 300D is interesting. He points out that the quality of
    the 300D's images are every bit as good as the 10D, but that the mirror slap is quite strong and
    resulted in a number of blurred images, even on a tripod. This is not what I wanted to hear. For
    hand held shots fine, but on a tripod I expect sharp images, so the mirror lock up on the 10D is
    looking even more important.

    Also, he doesn't have much praise for the 18-55mm lens that comes with it. If the quality difference
    is that obvious with a 6MP camera then I'll need a better lens anyway, so that ceases to be so much
    of an advantage.

    I still think the 300D is the best digital camera buy at the moment, when cost is a major factor,
    but if it isn't...

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  8. ste © said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've got a huge photo collection stretching back 19 years, I estimate something in the region of
    35,000 photographs now.

    That's a lot of photos! :-o

    Didn't I say that I took about 2,500 photographs last month? I've had the G3 for nearly a year now
    and I've probably been taking a lot more photos than I used to. I used to estimate an average of
    2,000 photos a year or thereabouts, but I've just taken more than that in one month. It's possible
    that my collection numbers nearer 40,000 now then!

    Once I get my photos reasonably well sorted I'll make a better estimate. I may even get an accurate
    count one day.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, the scanner is definitely your priority then. How much is it, about a grand?

    £900

    Quoted message said:

    In work, we have a HP ScanJet 5470C flatbed scanner, and it's fine for scanning photos. It came
    with a transparency adaptor, and even at 2400dpi, the output is [censored]!

    It's not a proper film scanner. Mainly good for prints. Should be okay for medium format and large
    format, but 35mm it too small for a flatbed, even with a high res like that.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I really don't understand why so many people rely on auto, it's just sheer laziness IMO, and most
    of the time auto gets it wrong anyway!

    I mostly use Aperture Priority now (does that count?)

    Not really, it's still auto, but at least it makes you aware of what the aperture is.

    Quoted message said:

    Though I was taking a shot at the weekend, and it was coming out too bright. So I changed it into
    Manual and manually changed the aperture to f8 and the shutter speed to a slightly shorter speed.
    See, I'm learning! ;o)

    Good! Here's a tip. When you go out to take photos, assuming that the light is fairly stable, start
    by taking a few test shots (in manual mode) to determine the best exposure, then save that to one of
    your custom settings. From then on, every time you turn your camera on with it on that custom
    setting, the exposure will probably be correct, or just require a slight adjustment. So using manual
    doesn't mean that you have to calculate the exposure for every single shot, only when the light
    changes or you take a different kind of shot (like shooting into the light or in a dark shadow).

    Quoted message said:

    I *never* use the full Auto mode,

    Good, that's the idiot mode, and it only saves in jpeg format.

    Quoted message said:

    or the P Mode (what's the point in the P mode?),

    It seems to be a more intelligent auto mode. For one thing, I think you can turn flash on or off
    whereas auto decides for you. With shutter or aperture priority, although the aperture or shutter is
    decided automatically, it may sometimes result in over or underexposure because it can't alter the
    aperture or shutter enough. With P mode it alters both of them.

    Quoted message said:

    but I do sometimes use the Portrait and Landscape scene modes. I know these aren't manual, but
    after seeing the results, I can tell you that they are more or less an aperture priorty mode (with
    Portrait being f2, and landscape being f8), depending on the light.

    Yep, they are effectively aperture priority with fixed apertures.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A 10D with an equivalent lens would cost nearly twice as much!

    I know, but after the £1250, I could have bought a cheap second hand lens and then saved for the
    other lens on a rolling basis.

    But your cheap second hand lens wouldn't be very wide at all. A typical cheap zoom might be 28-
    something mm, which would equate to 45-something mm. So you wouldn't have a wide angle lens, and
    trust me, you'd miss it! The ultra-wide lenses necessary for digital SLR's are very expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    But to be honest, it would have worked out expensive, I know. ...but after the initial purchases,
    I'm sure I wouldn't notice the extras, just the same way that I haven't noticed the extras I've
    bought for the G5...

    But the extras for the G5 are very cheap by comparison. Extras for SLRs can be very expensive, some
    lenses can cost more than the camera.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So there's really *no* reason to use fancy auto modes at all.

    There's always the reason of convenience on certain occasions.

    Like when a black labrador is running around? ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I have no problems with noise on my G5,

    You probably don't fiddle with your photos as much as me then! ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    I know that extra noise at ISO 100 isn't very good, but the review also says: "Overall the G5 has
    the sharpest image with the most detail, it also has the least amount of sharpening artifacts
    (such as halos around dark detail)." So surely, it's a balance of personal preference between
    noise and detail?

    Yep, I'd agree with that.

    Quoted message said:

    Plus, perhaps I should start turning the sharpening and saturation etc down to their lowest
    settings like you do? To make it even better, and more pure for post-processing?

    After some experimentation I decided to stick to normal contrast and saturation, I just set it to
    "Low Sharpening" now. The contrast and saturation are fine in most images, I could always go back
    and reduce them for a specific image if necessary (one of the benefits of using RAW mode).

    Quoted message said:

    So noise-free plus extra detail? That's the perfect compromise then isn't it? ;o)

    Yeah, and the interesting thing about being able to shoot at high film speed with virtually no noise
    is that I'd be able to use fast shutter speeds on waterfalls and still get the quality and depth of
    field of a small aperture. Should please Bernard.

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  9. "Paul Saunders" wrote

    much snipping

    (I'm not sure if anyone's ever managed to make an f1

    Quoted message said:

    lens).

    In the early '60's the Canon 7 (35mm,rangefinder type) was produced with the f0.95 "Dream" lens.

    (Sorry,just had to pass that bit of useless info on.)

    ejb

  10. Jim Ford said:

    Concerning 'depth of field':

    A point of light will only be brought to focus at _one_particular_focal_point. Anything either
    side of that point _will_ be out of focus (by definition). However, our eyes cannot distinguish
    out of focus points within a certain range, as long as their diameters are within this 'circle of
    confusion'. This range is called 'the depth of field' (of focus).

    A very important point, and why I usually focus on infinity for most landscape shots, where the
    distant hills are the most important thing in the photograph.

    Quoted message said:

    Within this range, the image may still be technically out of focus, but our eyes can't detect it.

    However, sharpness is relative. It's relative to the size of the print, and depth of field figures
    into that. What may appear to be sharp (within the depth of field) at a certain magnification or
    print size, may not be at a larger magnification or print size, so the exact point of focus is still
    very important. As a general rule, when judging depth of field (in critical situations) with the
    markings on lenses, I used to reduce by one stop, so if I was taking a shot at f22 for example, I'd
    use the f16 depth of field markings. This equated better to what my eyes could detect when looking
    at 35mm slides projected onto a 40" screen.

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  11. ejb said:

    In the early '60's the Canon 7 (35mm,rangefinder type) was produced with the f0.95 "Dream" lens.

    What? How can more light pass through it than entered in the first place?

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  12. John Laird said:

    Have you looked more closely at what goes on around the front ? I don't possess a digital SLR, so
    they may well be quite different, but my Olympus zoom digicam appears to have an iris that
    functions as a mechanical shutter.

    Yeah probably.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Small delay (probably as focus and exposure calculated).

    With manual focusing and exposure there's no delay.

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  13. Carol Haynes said:

    The EOS300D does have a shutter Paul -

    Yes of course. What I read obviously applied to cheaper digital cameras.

    Quoted message said:

    and as far as I can work out you can't use the LCD for composing shots.

    This is obvious too when you think about it, being an SLR it uses a mirror to see through the lens,
    so that blocks the sensor. A slight annoyance, since I'm becoming rather fond of composing shots on
    the LCD, but looking through the lens is a far better advantage for focusing anyway, and I've been
    finding that my film SLR shots usually tend to come out better composed than the digital shots that
    I compose on the
    LCD.

    Another thought that's just occured to me is that since the 10D has a mirror lock up, maybe that
    would allow the LCD to be used as a preview?

    Quoted message said:

    I am the proud owner of one.

    Good for you. Am I the only one who doesn't have one of these yet?

    Quoted message said:

    Very nice too ... just got to work out how it all works now as the manual is brief to the point of
    minimalism,

    Oh come on, how hard can it be? Put it in manual mode, pick a film speed, shutter speed and an
    aperture and focus it. That's all you need to know. ;-)

    Paul
    --
    The October Project 2003
    wildwales.fsnet.co.ukoctober.html
    wilderness-wales.co.ukwilderness-wales.co.uk
    photosig.comuserphotos

  14. Paul Saunders said:
    ejb said:

    In the early '60's the Canon 7 (35mm,rangefinder type) was produced with the f0.95 "Dream" lens.

    What? How can more light pass through it than entered in the first place?

    f stop is a ratio of aperture to focal length. In this case it is wider than 35mm.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  15. Following up to Paul Saunders

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I hope this will be a sensible appraisal of the facts.

    But no such luck. We only heard one side of the argument - the bad side.

    what did they say about artery clogging with a high fat diet?
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso UK walking & photos
    "fellwalk.co.ukfellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain,cuisines and walking "fell-fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  16. Following up to W. D. Grey

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    2. There is good fat and bad fat. Not all fat is bad, some is positively essential. I haven't
    read what he has to say about this aspect yet but I'm sure he will have plenty to say
    about it.

    saturated, unsaturated probably?

    Quoted message said:

    I don't wish to worry Paul as there must be things of which I am unaware, but a friend of Anne has
    tried this diet and has lost weight. The cost is that her colesterol is sky high at about 10.3

    If the Atkins diet is responsible - I don't know -if not it is one hell of a coincidence.

    I would want to read some other author on the subject before I considered going down the line of a
    potentially high risk strategy that might cause serious heart problems etc.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso UK walking & photos
    "fellwalk.co.ukfellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain,cuisines and walking "fell-fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  17. "W. D. Grey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | In article <[email hidden]>, Carol Haynes
    | <[email hidden]> writes
    | >The EOS300D does have a shutter Paul - and as far as I can work out you can't use the LCD for
    | >composing shots.
    | >
    | >I am the proud owner of one. Very nice too ... just got to work out how
    it
    | >all works now as the manual is brief to the point of minimalism, and I haven't had enough spare
    | >time to play (what with work and exam revision)!
    |
    | Carol has persuaded me to buy one - here are a couple of early efforts.
    |
    | graigroad.demon.co.ukgyhirych.htm
    |
    | " " " " " / landscape.htm
    |
    | " " " " " /copse.htm
    |
    | " " " " " /pyfview.htm
    |
    |
    | The last one is my favourite "test" location for a Pen-y-Fan shot.
    |
    | All taken with a polariser attached and taken in point and shoot mode
    | :-)
    |
    | The original files were 18Mb each.
    | --
    | Bill Grey

    Lucky you Bill! And nice photos too. I'll look forward to seeing your other images as you get them.
    I bet you've made Paul really jealous by getting this camera? ;o)

    And 18mb a photo? Was this on a TIF mode? My RAW photos are only about 4mb and that's for 5
    megapixels.

    Ste

  18. Following up to Paul Saunders

    Quoted message said:

    but if Atkins is right then my high fat consumption wasn't actually bad at all, and paradoxically,
    that might have been a factor in me not putting on weight when I was younger.

    You probably, like me, didn't put on weight when younger because of your metabolism, which has now
    slowed down :-(
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso UK walking & photos
    "fellwalk.co.ukfellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain,cuisines and walking "fell-fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  19. Paul Saunders said:

    Metabolism can vary, and it seems to me that it's closely related to exercise (or at least one's
    usual activity level). Those with high metabolisms tend to be very active (as most youngsters are)
    and those who complain of low metabolisms tend to be sedentiary types. If I didn't have such an
    active lifestyle I suspect I would have put on weight much earlier in life with the eating habits I
    used to have.

    The more I read, the more I believe that "different metabolisms" is a myth. Metabolic rates
    (measured by mass of lean tissue) have been found to be

    probably demands it is so.

    Ideal diet: eat less, move more.

    --
    The scenery only changes for the lead dog.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  20. Robert Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Interesting stuff, I was wondering abt the 18mb file. But


    can a 3-4mb image, taken on a 6mp camera, increase to 18mb via PS?

    Yes. It all depends on format and compression. I have a 1600x1200 that is a 268 kb jpeg out of the
    camera [1] The .psd file with two adjustment layers is 10,736 kb and a jpeg saved from that at
    maximum resolution is 696 kb. The reason it is so small as a jpeg is that there is a lot of sky,
    water and land with no detail in it, just plain blocks of colour. If you repeatedly save as a jpeg
    you can introduce artifacts which will add to the "detail" and hence increase the file size.

    [1] I set my Canon A40 to fine compression because there isn't that much difference between fine and
    ultrafine when you only start with 2Mpix.

    p-t-cook.freeserve.co.ukexp5.htm is a smaller version of the 1600x1200 file.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.