Can't afford a power meter - how do I train better?

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I'm a recent convert to the benefits of L4 intervals on performance, and I've done my best to simulate these without the benefit of a power meter - basically riding on feel. I've had some success recently, where I've been training less hours, but getting faster and stronger :) . I put this down to smarter training - doing what I perceive to be L4 intervals.

I simply can't afford a power meter.

Should I:
i) continue to do my own interval work on "feel" (I often remind myself that Eddy Merckx didn't have a power meter), or

ii) use my HRM to simulate these intervals more accurately? I'm happy to do intervals on an indoor trainer to exclude outdoor factors on HR.

If ii), how?

You could just ask yourself two questions as you ride.

1. Am I going to fast to take a swig from my water bottle? if yes slow down a little.
2. Am I going so slow I could take a swig without having to take three quick breaths before it? If yes speed up a little.

During the last 5 minutes of the interval your heart rate will correspond to 91% FTP plus or minus 5 bpm stay in this semi comfortable hurt zone for a 3x20.

Walrus said:
I'm a recent convert to the benefits of L4 intervals on performance, and I've done my best to simulate these without the benefit of a power meter - basically riding on feel. I've had some success recently, where I've been training less hours, but getting faster and stronger :) . I put this down to smarter training - doing what I perceive to be L4 intervals.

Should I:
i) continue to do my own interval work on "feel" (I often remind myself that Eddy Merckx didn't have a power meter), or

ii) use my HRM to simulate these intervals more accurately? I'm happy to do intervals on an indoor trainer to exclude outdoor factors on HR.

If ii), how?

iBike might be a more economical option and should be much better than nothing. Wait for later this month, supposedly they are bringing out a new model.

sogood said:
iBike might be a more economical option and should be much better than nothing. Wait for later this month, supposedly they are bringing out a new model.
Even that's a decent chunk of $$ to throw at an accessory (for a recreational rider)...but I've been watching the iBike chatter with interest. Will look for this new model. Thanks.

Go as hard as you can for the interval you have planned.

1 minute ints: You must die in the last 10 seconds, so go pretty hard.

20 minute ints: Adjust accordingly.

You are right, Eddy didn't have power meters. You can do 'natural' intervals by targeting a duration (CP) and targeting your effort over that duration. When you recover, do it again. When you can't do any more, you're done. Pay attention to Perceived Effort (PE) and the way a given speed (use speed on your trainer) feels easy at the beginning of a long interval but can be painful at the end.

Ride till you crack, recover, repeat.

Walrus said:

Should I:

If ii), how?
Actually, if you train indoors on a trainer with a rear mounted computer like a Cateye Astrale ($40-$50), you can quantify intensity with speed, thereby having a proxy for power. For example, warm up thoroughly, ride "all out" for an hour to estimate your threshold speed, then complete interval protocols such as those discussed on this forum using speed...obviously looking to increase it!...similar estimates can be done for VO2 power with a 4-6' TT on the trainer. If you want to get "fancy", look up the power curve on the manufacturers site and you can see what an estimate of wattage is required to "go" a given speed. You don't have to always train on the trainer, once weather gets nice "test" on it occasionally/regularly. Cheers! Mike

Get a used Polar from ebay. The power kits can go for $150 to $240 used. But then you should get the S720i HRM which is another $290.

JTE83 said:
Get a used Polar from ebay. The power kits can go for $150 to $240 used. But then you should get the S720i HRM which is another $290.
iBike is $399 retail. I'd say forget about Polar.

iBike, Polar...you'd be better off with a simple HRM with downloading and perhaps a visit to a local coach to do periodic testing.

sogood said:
iBike is $399 retail. I'd say forget about Polar.

Coming from a collegiate cycling background, I have an interest in powertraining on the cheap.

If you're in the US, then watch for one of the Performance 20% off coupons and you can pick up an iBike for $320. The coupons forum on bikeforums.net usually posts up the latest Performance coupons.

If you go the trainer route that Monastero mentioned, I have a page that handles the speed/power calculations for several trainers: http://curveship.dyndns.org/trainerpower/

Even if you don't work out any way to train with power, the Coggan & Hunter book is still well worth picking up, just for the knowledge you'll get from it.

sogood said:
Minoura has a new product coming out next year ( think) which whould be around the $150 mark (roughly)

It's a cycle computer which will show power etc.

It will be part of that FLEX system they have. I think that is being released this year but the power version is to be released end of the year / next year.

The computer will also be wireless (2.4GHz + coded)

Looks good from the pics anyawy!

http://www.minoura.jp/flex-e.html

giannip said:
Minoura has a new product coming out next year ( think) which whould be around the $150 mark (roughly)

It's a cycle computer which will show power etc.

I thought I read somewhere that it's only power on the trainer, i.e., the same kind of speed / power equations that Kurt Kinetic uses. It does look cool, though.

ahaile said:
I thought I read somewhere that it's only power on the trainer, i.e., the same kind of speed / power equations that Kurt Kinetic uses. It does look cool, though.
No. It will be a cycle computer.

giannip said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I read (can't remember where ... this forum?) was that it worked as a cyclecomputer either on the trainer or on the road, but only did power on the trainer. I may be wrong. The Minoura page is ambiguous about whether power works on the road. If you've heard more info, I'd be interested in seeing it.

giannip said:
I just don't believe they have a way of actually measuring power. They may impute power from other data (e.g., Ciclio, iBike), but I just don't buy that they have a technology for measuring power.

RapDaddyo said:
I just don't believe they have a way of actually measuring power. They may impute power from other data (e.g., Ciclio, iBike), but I just don't buy that they have a technology for measuring power.
Don't knwo the details. All I've heard is that it will show power and erm.....it's not anything mathematical they use to show the power.

That's the extremely detailed info I got :D

I've been looking around and this company in germany has a power meter, but I've never heard of it and I don't know anybody who is using it. I've fired off an e-mail to them for some more information. It's a bottom bracket sensor system like SRM. http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html

-bikeguy

bikeguy said:
I've been looking around and this company in germany has a power meter, but I've never heard of it and I don't know anybody who is using it. I've fired off an e-mail to them for some more information. It's a bottom bracket sensor system like SRM. http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html

You mean like the Ergomo.

Hi Andy, yes, the Ergomo, SRM measures between crank and chainring. Had them mixed up.

Know anything about Busch & Müller's power meter?

-bikeguy