Can't afford SRM or PT right now, other power measurement tools?

Rideastrong said:
RD - thanks for your info. After talkign with the wife i am going to just buy another good trainer for this winter (last one lasted 6 years, and only was warrentied once for a broken weld) and next year i will pick up the PT and build up a new wheel. In the mean time i found a local that has a computrainer that i will visit with and try out and check in with to see how my training pogresses over the next 6 months. Next year i will rebuild my training around the ideas and principles of power training vs just hr training. This fall i am going to see if the OTC in Colorado Springs has the Power Training Seminar that i can attend and learn a little more. But atleast waiting another year will allow me to do some research and figure out how to redo my training.
Good plan. Actually, I hope somebody chimes in with comments (good or bad) on my quick and dirty protocol for training with power on a trainer with only a speedo. As to the PM Clinic, I know there is one in Clermont, FL December 3-4, but I don't know about CO Springs. Given that CO Springs is USA Cycling's home base, it is only logical that they will have a power clinic there, but maybe not until '06. BTW, I think you may need to have your Expert or Elite Coaching License to attend.

I can't afford a power meter either so i go with a nice approximate approach using a Tacx swing trainer. Each resistance level on the trainer (magnet) is related to a certain force (nice little graph in the instruction book to work this out). Multiply the force of the magnet by the speed (convert to meters per second) on your cycle computer and you have power output. I got the trainer for 115 UK pounds.

How accurate this is I don't know and you have to know a tiny bit about physics to work out what power your producing but its worked for me so far.

Eldrack said:
I can't afford a power meter either so i go with a nice approximate approach using a Tacx swing trainer. Each resistance level on the trainer (magnet) is related to a certain force (nice little graph in the instruction book to work this out). Multiply the force of the magnet by the speed (convert to meters per second) on your cycle computer and you have power output. I got the trainer for 115 UK pounds.

How accurate this is I don't know and you have to know a tiny bit about physics to work out what power your producing but its worked for me so far.
That's interesting to know about the power conversion chart in the instruction book. Frankly, I have never looked at the book. I'll have to see if I can find it. I'd like to compare the computed power numbers with my actual power numbers at different speeds. But, let me clarify something about my training protocol above. My protocol doesn't require that one computes power or converts speed to watts. All you do is determine your maximum sustainable speed at a given duration (e.g., 20 mins) and use that as the basis for an interval session at that duration (specifically .92xMS). This also gives one a way to track progress because one's maximum sustainable speed at that duration will increase with fitness. The power equivalent is a "nice to know" but not essential to effective training.

Bruce Diesel said:
I have a Tacx trainer. What is interesting is that the trainer provides a booklet with power graphs for the various resistance settings.

CycleOps produces a nice graph for the Fluid2 trainer showing the relationship between power/cadence/gear. I haven't checked it against my PT SL yet but the graph numbers match what I "feel" on a local test hill I ride (average power calculated at kreuzotter.de).

It's unlikely to be perfect but I think it's a good estimate for someone without a power meter.

RapDaddyo said:
Good plan. Actually, I hope somebody chimes in with comments (good or bad) on my quick and dirty protocol for training with power on a trainer with only a speedo. As to the PM Clinic, I know there is one in Clermont, FL December 3-4, but I don't know about CO Springs. Given that CO Springs is USA Cycling's home base, it is only logical that they will have a power clinic there, but maybe not until '06. BTW, I think you may need to have your Expert or Elite Coaching License to attend.
that is ok. I just ordered my club coach materials from Sam down in C-springs. If i need to get my expert to attend i will make plans to attend those clinics prior. I have alot to learn and am eager to do so. So this should be no problem.

Rideastrong said:
that is ok. I just ordered my club coach materials from Sam down in C-springs. If i need to get my expert to attend i will make plans to attend those clinics prior. I have alot to learn and am eager to do so. So this should be no problem.
If you move quickly, you can do the Expert Clinic in CO Springs in October and then attend the Power Clinic in FL in December. I'll be at both.

F1_Fan said:
CycleOps produces a nice graph for the Fluid2 trainer showing the relationship between power/cadence/gear. I haven't checked it against my PT SL yet but the graph numbers match what I "feel" on a local test hill I ride (average power calculated at kreuzotter.de).

It's unlikely to be perfect but I think it's a good estimate for someone without a power meter.
I happened to be passing and thought this might help you out:

http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/trainerpower/

Apologies if it's been posted already.

L.

Picked up a Powertap Pro hub built into a DT Swiss RR 1.1 32 2-cross DB-spokes wheel and a similar front wheel built with a Simano Ultegra hub, shipped 2nd Day Air from AirBomb.com for $965.66. Used coupon code TPM77 for 10% off. The full CPU, harness, software kit arrived with the wheels 5 business days after I placed the order.

I had doubts about Airbomb based on others' comments, but they tracked fine online and delivered as ordered.

CPU SN 504XX, does that seem to be recent production?

Do hubs have a SN anywhere?

Now to put on tires and install! :)

RapDaddyo said:
If you move quickly, you can do the Expert Clinic in CO Springs in October and then attend the Power Clinic in FL in December. I'll be at both.
i won't have time to complete it to get to FL for the December clinic. I am thinking that maybe over the winter completing the expert clinic and attending the power and nutrition clinics in 2006.

velomanct said:
Perhaps you might be interested in my used powertap pro I am selling for $460. A lot cheaper than the new ones.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1068
Thanks for the link. But i need to wait till next season to buy one. I have a few other things i need to take care of first. We decided to put in hardwood floors and the wife wants a new Audi. So my powertap will have to wait till 2006 sometime. But this gives me time to learn more and figure out how i am going to use it before i buy it.

I used the Polar Power unit for a long time, and had very good reults with it. I never felt it was as "real time" or reactive as Powertap, but it gave me great training data, and ultimately improved my riding. It will serve you well as long as you accurately plug in weight and length measurements of chain, and install the unit correctly on the chainstay. I have a perectly good unit that I am willing to unload very cheap. Not trying to sell it, simply offering the option. I traded up to an SL on a ZIP 303....got a good bonus at work! :D

Rideastrong said:
I am not in a position to purchase a PT or SRM right now. Maybe for next year. I do need a new trainer for those bad days outside. Are there any trainers that have a somewhat accurate power meter? I know it won't be as good as a PT or SRM, but i would like to get a temp fix right now. I also use a Polar 720i, but the power interface looks kind of weak in the design and have read too many mixed review. Any suggestions? Thanks.