Can't believe what it took to fix this &%$@ creaking

Vate

Oct 1, 2004
All it took was tightening the rear skewer - the wheel wasn't loose in there, but it was apparently loose enough that when I was standing the in pedals, the downstroke on the left side caused an infernal metallic creaking/ticking.

Thanks to AlanFD for tipping me that the rear dropout could be the problem:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t395029.html

Of course, I had already swapped pedals, put on new cleats (Speedplay), pulled the cranks and greased the splines (Octalink), pulled the bottom bracket and greased it up, pulled the seat and seat post, heck, I even pulled off the water bottle brackets trying to isolate the noise.

And, while I was buying a new crank puller at the LBS, seriously thought about the Seven Elium that is $2K reduced, thinking "I bet that beauty doesn't creak".

Wow, this is a new one for me. Thanks for the information. Noe I have one more thing to check when creaking occurs.

Well Vate, look on the bright side, you have already carried out your two-year maintenance plan!

Happy you got rid of that creak. Those things drive me crazy!

I had one that drove me nuts too. I finally found that it was one of my aluminum bottle cages. It always amazes me how sound can travel. It can seem to be in one area and end up up being somewhere else altogether. Glad you found your squeak; I bet you let out a scream for joy!

Scott

In the old days, when I was still using a full length aluminium Zefal frame pump, my most baffling creak ended up being the pump rubbing against a bottle cage bolt! The bike shop guy found it, only after I'd spent hours checking all the usual culprits. I didn't have a cage on the seat tube, but I had bolts in there thinking I was keeping water out (???). The bolts had worn grooves in the pump shaft, and as the bike moved side to side, the pump clicked as the bolt went in and out on the groove.

531Aussie said:
It turns out I had worn grooves in the pump shaft....

Man, if you're wearing grooves in your pump shaft, then you either need to not rub it so hard or use more lube.