Cant close rear v-brakes

tilemyroof

Sep 2, 2009
Hi guys,

I bought my first new bike in ages today! A giant crx 4. I had to take both wheels off to get it home and I have been having trouble getting it back together. I am finally done except I cant close the rear brake. It's a v brake. I just try to pull and it wont go in the bracket/clip. I had no trouble with the front brakes. Can anyone help me? I really want to ride tomorrow!

Check that you have seated the rear wheel properly in the dropouts. Check also that one of the cable sheaths hasn't slipped out of one of the brackets, or the lever socket.

artemidorus said:
Check also that one of the cable sheaths hasn't slipped out of one of the brackets, or the lever socket.

You lose me here. What does this mean? I'm a n00b.

I managed to fix it this morning. It just seemed to have worked. however, then the cables on the brake lever came out or something... i managed place them in the divet to screw them back in using the silver knob... it brakes properly... have I done this correctly? I am really new to this. Am hoping to go on my maiden ride really soon and I dont want the wheels to fall off or not stop! haha

P.S. I saw on a video tutorial about making sure the brake pads have to travel equal distance to the wheel... if that makes sense. Mine arent quite spot on... does that matter much? I am not really up to fiddling around anymore....

It doesn't really matter if the pads aren't centred - the brake will still work, there's just more likelihood of a pad rubbing against the rim.

Sometimes, when the brake calipers are opened, the loss of cable tension can allow the cable guides/sheaths/casings (the black tubes that the cables run through) to slip out of the brackets that hold them, and then jam against the bracket when you try to close the brake calipers. This will make it seem as if the brake cable has magically shortened itself.