Can't Cycle after Spill

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

>I'm very upset about this.
>
>By evening, I was unable to start at all. Simple paralysis. I cannot put that initial pedal down
>and let go of the brakes and move. After wheeling her home I tried starting on the easier Myrtille,
>in the security of the underground parking where there is no traffic, no weather, and completely
>flat conditions. Same result: complete paralysis at startup. My brain says "Go on, you can do
>this", but my body just will not respond. I can no longer ride a bike.
>
>EFR Depressed in Ile de France

You can do it, Eliza. At times like this it is good to remember "Things Take Time". Sleep on it a
few days, take a rest, put your focus on other things for a while. Then maybe clean and polish your
"Myrtille", lower the seat a little, and practice starts in your underground parking or on a level
footpath. You don't need to push yourself too hard, just go easy, and practice moves that your mind
and body already have learned. Think about new moves to learn, like starting from standing astraddle
the bike with your right foot firmly on the ground and left on the pedal at about 8 o'clock. Push
the pedal and gently glide a little. You'll be smiling before you know it! Peace, Bernie

"Elisa Francesca Roselli"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone here had to deal with this sort of situation? I'm at
loss
> what to do. I think this weekend I shall have to go back to the
very
> first thing I ever did on a bike: put the seat way down to
kiddie-height
> and try to balance her downhill without pedalling. But I trust
neither
> bike: Behemoth is too difficult overall and Myrtille really
needs to
> have her brakes softened before I will risk her again.

You've lots of other good advice and encouragement. If it doesn't work, maybe another way around it
would be to take up weight lifting and judo or some other martial art that involves falling and
bashing / getting bashed around. This should improve upper body strength making it easier to avoid
falls and getting used to falling should make it less unusually exciting as well as giving you
practice in how to minimze injury when falling.

You seem like a determined, adventurous type of person who might be able to do that.

Doug For email, a sense of wonder.

I had a similar experience twice. Once when I got hit by a car riding the bike and suffered a broken
collarbone and a concussion, and another time when I broke my leg skateboarding on a ramp. Each time
I experienced an almost crippling fear after I was healed enough to resume. On the bike every time a
car would pass by me I would be so stricken with fear that I had to force myself to keep riding.
That lasted strongly for a week, pretty strongly for two weeks and would pop up once in a while out
of the blue for a long time after. Same thing with the skateboard ramp, only worse. I would drop in
and be overcome with intense fear accompanied with a horrible visualization. It would then be
compounded knowing that having my mind and body that distracted would bring my fear to reality in
the next split second. It was nasty. I forced myself through it and it also lasted about a week with
the out of the blue re-occurrences for a long time after.

I feel now that had I not flown in the face of those fears when they were so strong, that I
would never have been able to surmount those out of the blue occurrences later on. It was really
hard when I had total confidence and then suddenly such an intense fear would come completely
unexpected. I needed the memory and experience of pressing through when the fear was constant in
order to get through those unexpected moments.

Now I occasionally experience the same levels of fear regarding my children. I consider myself
blessed to have had those past experiences to know how to relax through them, know that they
don't have to be actualized and press on.

For me fear is the absolute worst.

My advice would be as stated above: relax, know that having the fear doesn't have to create the
reality, and keep going.

Love and Light

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:401643E8.E5B65F8@quadratec-
software.com...
> I'm very upset about this.
>
> I mentioned that last Friday, riding a bike with recently upgraded brakes that I was unused to, I
> had my two first falls in traffic. I was unhurt both times, and conscientiously got back in the
> saddle both times immediately, because I was afraid of going phobic.
>
> Unfortunately, by the time I took Behemoth out to go to work on Monday, phobia had well and truly
> set in. I was unable to start the bike up the initial hill from my home. I wheeled her to a
> flatter section on a secure bike path, and was able to start. But then I was unable to start on
> another uphill and had to wheel her into work. On arrival, I was shaky and weepy.
>
> By evening, I was unable to start at all. Simple paralysis. I cannot put that initial pedal down
> and let go of the brakes and move. After wheeling her home I tried starting on the easier
> Myrtille, in the security of the underground parking where there is no traffic, no weather, and
> completely flat conditions. Same result: complete paralysis at startup. My brain says "Go on, you
> can do this", but my body just will not respond. I can no longer ride a bike.
>
> I'm particularly worried because about ten years ago I abruptly lost the ability to mount an
> escalator. Unlike this occasion, it was not the result of an accident, but to this day escalators
> are such an issue to me that I have to go out of the way on my trips on the Paris metro to avoid
> them, and cannot use certain shops that have no elevators or stairs. I am sometimes able to get on
> an up-escalator (never a down), but it takes so long, and so much psych-up, and raises blood
> pressure so high, and keeps so many people waiting, that it is no longer worth it.
>
> Every time I think about biking now I have an anxiety attack, and I had anxiety dreams about
> biking all last night. I was delighted with a weather warning of black ice conditions because that
> gave me an excuse to come to work on foot and just not face the bikes today. (In fact, the morning
> was warm and there was no ice or snow). All the pleasure has gone out of it.
>
> Has anyone here had to deal with this sort of situation? I'm at loss what to do. I think this
> weekend I shall have to go back to the very first thing I ever did on a bike: put the seat way
> down to kiddie-height and try to balance her downhill without pedalling. But I trust neither bike:
> Behemoth is too difficult overall and Myrtille really needs to have her brakes softened before I
> will risk her again.
>
> EFR Depressed in Ile de France

Thanks to all for the kind words and advice.

I've decided to leave this until the weekend. Snowy and icy weather today lets me off the hook
anyway. Even before the spills I certainly would not have ridden under these conditions. The other
reason is that there is a time imperative in taking the bike to work, because I have to _get_ to
work at a reasonable hour, so that involves rushing, which adds another level of panic. On the
weekend, I won't need to get anywhere within a specific time-frame, so I can practise slowly and
then perhaps redo my very first route, to the local supermarket along flat bike-paths.

I shall also devise myself a magical fetish to touch. Irrational fear, irrational solution.

EFR in snowy Ile de France

"J. Richard" wrote:

> I would drop in and be overcome with intense fear accompanied with a horrible visualization. It
> would then be compounded knowing that having my mind and body that distracted would bring my fear
> to reality in the next split second.

Don DeMair wrote:
:It is nice to see someone ask beginner-type questions and get
:respectful answers. It must be your style which is open and honest. I
:would miss you.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:58:03 +0100, Elisa Francesca Roselli <Elisa.Francesca.Roselli@quadratec-
software.com> wrote:
>Gosh, people are so nice here.

We can't be anything but nice to you; between your style (described as "open and honest"), your
pleasant attitude, your strong desire to succeed, and your patient requests for help, we can't
resist! :)

The advice given by others is good; try relaxation exercises, wait until the pleasant weather before
you ride (and tell yourself that you're ONLY doing it for the weather), and as scary as they sound,
rollers would probably take care of all your problems.

With rollers, you can work on your balance without ANY other worries. There's no traffic to watch
out for. There's nothing unexpected in the road. You can surround yourself with soft things to land
on in case you fall; or you can put the rollers halfway through a doorway to always have something
to hold on each side of you.

Some models even offer a stabilizer that mounts to your fork to keep your bike still; riding like
that would probably not help your balance on the road any, but it would help you get comfortable
with the trainer. Once you are comfortable, it may become easy.

Of course, the big issue with rollers would then become cost; you've poured a lot of money into
cycling, and your money is probably not unlimited.

Good luck and best wishes, Rick Onanian

In article <[email protected]>,
Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]> writes:
> Thanks to all for the kind words and advice.
>
> I've decided to leave this until the weekend. Snowy and icy weather today lets me off the hook
> anyway. Even before the spills I certainly would not have ridden under these conditions. The other
> reason is that there is a time imperative in taking the bike to work, because I have to _get_ to
> work at a reasonable hour, so that involves rushing, which adds another level of panic. On the
> weekend, I won't need to get anywhere within a specific time-frame, so I can practise slowly and
> then perhaps redo my very first route, to the local supermarket along flat bike-paths.
>
> I shall also devise myself a magical fetish to touch. Irrational fear, irrational solution.

Actually, I wonder if your current reluctance to ride is fear-based at all. It may be that you just
need some time to mentally assimilate and process a lot of new input -- after all, you've just
gotten your Myrtille back from the shop handling much differently from when she went in, and you've
just listened to/read some conjectures & speculations about Behemoth's quirks. And you've been doing
some analyzing about the subject, yourself.

So, by all means, take some time off from riding until you're ready to try again. There's no
pressure. The quality of enjoyment is not strain'd.

When you next set foot to pedal, perhaps think to yourself: "Thank goodness this is just bicycle
riding -- not rollerblading, or chainsaw juggling, or basic training in the army." :)

cheers, Tom