Can't Decide On New Carbon Tri-wheels

Ironmanfinisher

May 31, 2015
Training for my second full Ironman and want to upgrade to some carbon clincher wheels.

Don't want to spend $3k so looking for a more mid-level wheel around or under $2k.

Thinking:

Vision Metron 81, Profile Design 78/twentyfour, or Fluid F90's

Any thoughts would be appreciated... :D

Do you have a powermeter?

A nice mid-depth powertap wheelset can be had for 2ish. You can get a wheelbuilder rear cover for race day.

The Visions are nice for mid-level wheels, though the MSRP for the wheelset is like 2400, Probably pay around 2100 for them. Never touched a Profile Design or Fluid Wheelset - not saying they are not good, just have no info on them.

Though slightly shallower, the 61mm Reynolds Strike SLG are nice and in your range. Got to be honest, never ridden on a $2,000+ wheelset that I DIDN'T like. That's not to say "bad" ones don't exist. But I've never gotten off a ride with some Roval, DT Swiss, Mavic, Reynolds, Enve, HED, Zipp etc wheels and been "Wow, what awful wheels".

I've even found some dodgy $6-700 carbon wheels off ebay feel as fast as my zipps. I dunno that i'd buy zipps again.

ambal said:
I've even found some dodgy $6-700 carbon wheels off ebay feel as fast as my zipps. I dunno that i'd buy zipps again.
I would.

I know there is this trend where be buy stuff direct from China to save considerable sums of money for what often seems like the same product. But I like sticking to name brands. Zipp, Mavic, HED, Enve, Easton, DT Swiss, Roval... This applies to other industries as well like electronics. I've heard the argument that I am paying for the name, but I see it as I am paying for future innovation. The name brand companies put considerable sums of money into R&D and that money has to come from somewhere.

That frame that LOOKS like a pinarello, isn't a Pinarello. It's a factory making a copy, but using cheaper resins, cheaper carbon, the factory does not design, the factory does not understand why a curve is the way it is or why the layup is thicker in one area. You can build a frame or a wheel in the same mold, but it does not mean that it's the same.

If I'm going to buy wheels, they're going to have a name brand on them. Same for just about everything else I own.