Can't decide Trek Pilot 5.2 or Specialized Roubaix Expert

Ebergram

Jul 28, 2006
I've ridden both and they both feel great. It's a Toss up. Please help. I ride 10 to 20 hours a week and don't race. I Occasional do centuries. I am currently ridding a Jack Taylor Super Tourist 1986 it's the Bentley of the bike world (comfortable smooth & heavy). I most concerned with the frame performance not the components (plan on making extensive component changes).
Where can I find competent reviews of these bikes?
Thanks

I ride the Roubaix. I'm sure that you can't go wrong with either one but the Roubaix has recieved consistent excellent reviews. Mine is complete Ultegra with Mavic SL wheels and while I don't have much to compare it to, can say that it is an awesome ride.

I was in the same position about two months ago. I test road the 2006 Specialized Roubaix Elite and the 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2. I wanted to ride the Pilot 5.0, but my LBS did not have any more 06 models in my size, and was going to be another month before the 07 models were shipped. The only thing I really liked better on the Pilot 5.2 compared to the Roubaix Elite was the saddle, and that certainly was not worth the price difference. The Pilot 5.0 compared more closely to the Roubaix Elite, and the Pilot 5.0 did not have the same saddle as the Pilot 5.2.

I do not race, and I weigh 192 pounds, so the few grams savings between the Ultegra and the 105 and the differences in the frame weights did not matter to me. I ended up ordering the 2007 Roubaix Elite. It was received three days later, and I love it. The 2007 Roubaix Elite has 10 speed 105 instead of 9 speed Ultegra rear derailleur. The saddle is also improved compared to the 2006 model. My LBS told me to try the saddle for a few hundred miles, and if I did not like it, they would allow me to trade it in on a different model. I ended up keeping the saddle. I road in the MS 150 two weeks ago, and my butt did not complain.

As Jeff said, you cannot go wrong with either bike.

I think my next step is evaluated which LBS will go to bat for me if I ever have any warranty issues. How will i do this? Ask allot of questions.
Thanks for the advise gentlemen

See my other post about this. I liked the Trek Pilot series and I liked the Roubaix series. I was about to go with the Trek when the LBS carrying Specialized found out they could order a 2007 at the 2006 price. They got me a Comp Triple and when I had the most minor little frame issue, Specialized promptly sent the LBS a new 2006 Roubaix Pro frame. The Pro frame is stronger and lighter.

I can't say enough about the level of customer service I got from the LBS and Specialized. Plus, there are lots of Treks out there (for good reason) but not nearly as many Roubaixs!

John

I tried several Trek series when I was shopping too and went with an 06 Roubaix Comp double (10 speed ultegra rear, 105 front). I agree, the saddle sucks (I'm a female, but the discomfort isn't in a gender-specific area). I could never do a century in it. I liked the Comp much better than the Elite, so I bet if I could afford the Expert or Pro I'd be in heaven. For comfort and handling, the Roubaix was an easy choice over a Trek for the same price point.

Rick, what's different about the 07 saddle?

aicabsolut said:
Rick, what's different about the 07 saddle?
The main difference is that the '07 saddle is smoother than the older ones. Thje older model was more textured, especially along the sides, and I found it to be less comfortable. I did not ride far enough to get chaffed, but I felt sure that I would at some point.

I road the MS 150 (75 miles each day) on September 9 and 10, and the saddle on my '07 Roubaix Elite did not bother me at all. I pushed myself on the first day to keep up with a bunch of 20 somethings (I am 54). I started to cramp at mile 73, but other than that, I was fine. On the second day I took it a little easier, and could have easily kept going for another 75. I found the bike to be extremely comfortable.

Ditto what Rick said. My bike has all the 2007 Roubaix Comp components except the frame, which is now a 2006 Roubaix Pro frame. I went from a long ride of 10 or 12 miles on my old hybrid to a couple of long rides of 36+ miles on the new bike, in a matter of weeks, and have had zero butt pain.

I don't know what the difference is between the seats, but I can tell you the 2007 seat hasn't caused me any discomfort at all.

John

Thanks. It's definitely the sides of the saddle that have been bothering me along the pelvic bones and inner thigh. I'm not sure if the women's saddles will fix it (they seem the same there).. When I go saddle shopping, I'll be sure to check out the newer ones.

I test rode a Tarmac and I remember liking that saddle a lot better, but I couldn't figure out any difference other than color (it was white). Know if they use a different saddle? Maybe it was a newer one.

aicabsolut said:
I test rode a Tarmac and I remember liking that saddle a lot better, but I couldn't figure out any difference other than color (it was white). Know if they use a different saddle? Maybe it was a newer one.
The Tarmac comes with the Toupe Team, and the Roubaix comes with the Avatar. They are different. You might want to ask the LBS if they will allow you to trade one saddle for another. My LBS was willing to do this, although I decided to keep the '07 Avatar. The difference in the MSRP between the two is $75 (the Avatar is $75, and the Toupe is $150). Both come in multiple widths and in black or white.

Aha! Thank you.

Know anything about the Alias? It looks thinner and more finely textured in the middle (around the cutout) like the Toupe. And price is somewhere in the middle. But pictures can be deceiving. Seems to have nicer sit bone pads, though those haven't been my problem.

My LBS can be finicky about some components. We'll see what they say.

I stripped my 2012 Specialized Roubaix and put the components on a 2006 Trek Pilot. They Trek Pilot is hands down a better frame. I have ridden Roubaix bicycle for 8 years now and the pilot rides circles around them in all catagories. Hope i am not to late, did you purchase yet, LOL????

Harry, gotta love your sense of humor. But thanks for the enthusiastic report on the performance of the Pilot 5.2. I think the last time I read about this bike was around 2009.

Originally Posted by Harry Brubaker .

I stripped my 2012 Specialized Roubaix and put the components on a 2006 Trek Pilot. They Trek Pilot is hands down a better frame. I have ridden Roubaix bicycle for 8 years now and the pilot rides circles around them in all catagories. Hope i am not to late, did you purchase yet, LOL????
Yet Trek quit making the Pilot after the 2008 model year and Specialized still makes the Roubaix. Go figure.

I get to work on a few Pilot 5s every year. I work on a lot more Roubaixs. In my experience, most Roubaix riders are the most loyal Specialized customers and Roubaix salesmen. Whatever you think of the Roubaix, you can't beat that marketing.

Perhaps if USPS/Discovery had taken the spring classics seriously and commissioned Trek to build a run of Pilots with normal cockpits, the story would have been different. Like they're trying to do with the Domane.