Can't drop it!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Matthew Collin, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    running and 15 minutes swimming. I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not
    had any empty calories (i.e alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25 grams
    of fat per day) I've only lost one pound in weight!! Can anybody explain this to me? Its very
    disheartening.

    Tags:

  2. Kate Dicey

    Kate Dicey Guest

    Matthew Collin wrote:

    > I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    > I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    > running and 15 minutes swimming. I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not
    > had any empty calories (i.e alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25
    > grams of fat per day) I've only lost one pound in weight!! Can anybody explain this to me? Its
    > very disheartening.

    You could be turning it into muscle, which weighs more than fat. Forget the scales for a week and
    check your measurements instead - if your chest stays the same and your waist loses an inch, the
    weight will soon catch up (or down!).

    Don't restrict your calories too much, or your body will go into conservation mode! And drink plenty
    of water - at least 4 pints a day, in addition to any tea, coffee, coke, or whatever you drink
    normally. You can flavour the water with squash, but don't forget to count the points/calories in
    your daily total.

    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

  3. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:31:14 -0000, "Matthew Collin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    >I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    >running and 15 minutes swimming. I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not
    >had any empty calories (i.e alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25
    >grams of fat per day) I've only lost one pound in weight!! Can anybody explain this to me? Its very
    >disheartening.

    You aren't drastically overweight , are you targetting somewhere around 12stone?

    Counting calories isn't very easy. There is a website that will help - www.fitday.com. The free
    account there helps you count calories, keep an eye on the composition of your food and keep track
    of your weight.

    Your resting BMR is around 1900 calories. http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html This goes
    to 2500 assuming you have a fairly sedentary job., so limiting your food to 2000 calories would
    yield about 1lb a week loss which is about right. If you have recently started exercising, your
    muscles will have taken on some water to help recovery. This probably accounts for the extra weight
    you might otherwise have expected to lose at the start of a 'diet'.

    You are doing fine. Keep up the exercise and carry on eating right and you'll lose weight slowly.
    1lb a week is exactly right. If you carry on as you are you'll be on target before the summer :)
    Have you thought about doing weight training at the gym? It's very good to do whilst losing weight
    as it tends to conserve muscle, and so facilitate fat loss.

    Good luck

    Ray

    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

  4. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    You are most likely turning fat into muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, just because the scale
    says 1 pound does not mean you are not doing well. I wish I had the motivation to workout as often
    as you do.

    Keep it up..

    Charlie

    "Matthew Collin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    > I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    > running and 15 minutes
    swimming.
    > I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not had any empty calories (i.e
    > alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25 grams of fat per day) I've only
    > lost one pound in weight!!
    Can
    > anybody explain this to me? Its very disheartening.

  5. Petal

    Petal Guest

    Sorry, I have to pitch my 2p in here and I sincerely hope that no one takes offence...

    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat - I see this statement a lot and it's a bit misleading. A pound
    of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is *denser* than fat (i.e. takes up less room in
    the body - think of it like a pound of feathers vs. a pound of butter), so I think what people are
    trying to say is that although the weight may not be coming off, your measurements may have changed.

    Just a few quick tips: -make sure you're eating enough. Max. 2000 a day is probably fine but don't
    go much below that on a regular basis. If you don't eat, you don't lose weight (believe it or not).
    -try incorporating weights into your exercise routine. Lifting really helps build those muscles,
    which in turn burns off a lot more calories. -take your measurements and take them again in a month.
    Also, try to get your body fat measured (see if your gym has this facility). This is a much more
    accurate way to measure your progress. -if you're just starting out, be patient. :) Average out your
    losses/gains over a longer period of time (e.g. a month) and see how you're doing. Some weeks are
    better than others, but it's the total number that matters. -try doing 20-30 minutes of more intense
    cardio (i.e. you have to huff and puff your way through it) 3 times a week. Sometimes lots of
    sessions of "lighter" cardio (I assume there's a bit of a break between the running and swimming)
    doesn't work as well for some people.

    Don't give up! All the best to you and congrats on sticking to an exercise routine so diligently!
    That's no small feat.

    Cheers, Petal

    "Matthew Collin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    > I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    > running and 15 minutes
    swimming.
    > I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not had any empty calories (i.e
    > alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25 grams of fat per day) I've only
    > lost one pound in weight!!
    Can
    > anybody explain this to me? Its very disheartening.

  6. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    >-make sure you're eating enough. Max. 2000 a day is probably fine but don't go much below that on a
    >regular basis. If you don't eat, you don't lose weight (believe it or not).

    BMR for a guy this size and weight is 1900. He's already relying on exercise to bring him into
    calorie deficit. Going down a bit further would probably speed up weight loss a bit, especially if
    he doesn't keep up the cardio. IMO he should suck it and see. If after a month he's still losing
    1lb/wk then thats good, but if the weight loss tails off he should try lowering calories slightly.
    I'm slightly heavier (205) and slightly taller (6'2") and I target 2000 calories to lose about 1lb a
    week with a fair amount of cardio and lifting. I think the OP might find lowering another 300
    calories a day achieves a slightly better weight loss over time.

    I agree though that there is an optimum range and if you go over or under weight loss will be
    adversely affected

    >-take your measurements and take them again in a month. Also, try to get your body fat measured
    >(see if your gym has this facility). This is a much more accurate way to measure your progress.

    This is a really good idea. Especially if you want to lose fat and gain muscle. as opposed to merely
    losing weight.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

  7. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Thank you for saying this petal! I have tried in the past to say the same thing .. muscle does NOT
    weigh more than fat .. but have never been able to say it as eloquently as you. It is one of the
    biggest misconceptions I seem to hear in weightloss issues though, even hear it from the drs. on
    occassion. I am a firm believer ... a pound is a pound is a pound ... regardless as to what that
    pound is. It is better to have that pound of muscle though, as it will burn continue to burn off
    more calories. I have noticed that since starting on the treadmill early in the fall, my weight has
    stayed pretty much the same - flucuating up and down a bit, but the body has definitely changed
    (hence the falling down sweatpants ... and new jeans that are now sliding down the hips).

    I have been watching the silly monitor on my new treadmill ... just for grins (we all no how
    unreliable those electronic lcd monitor things are). It gives readings for calories burnt and fat
    calories burnt. It is rather disheartening to see that you may have walked off 300 calories during
    your workout, but only 95 of those were fat calories. Dang, those things are hard to get rid of yet
    so easy to accumulate! <G>

    Joyce

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:52:04 -0000, "Petal" <[email protected]#NoSpam#yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Sorry, I have to pitch my 2p in here and I sincerely hope that no one takes offence...
    >
    >Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat - I see this statement a lot and it's a bit misleading. A
    >pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is *denser* than fat (i.e. takes up
    >less room in the body - think of it like a pound of feathers vs. a pound of butter), so I think
    >what people are trying to say is that although the weight may not be coming off, your
    >measurements may have changed.
    >
    >Just a few quick tips: -make sure you're eating enough. Max. 2000 a day is probably fine but don't
    >go much below that on a regular basis. If you don't eat, you don't lose weight (believe it or not).
    >-try incorporating weights into your exercise routine. Lifting really helps build those muscles,
    >which in turn burns off a lot more calories. -take your measurements and take them again in a
    >month. Also, try to get your body fat measured (see if your gym has this facility). This is a much
    >more accurate way to measure your progress. -if you're just starting out, be patient. :) Average
    >out your losses/gains over a longer period of time (e.g. a month) and see how you're doing. Some
    >weeks are better than others, but it's the total number that matters. -try doing 20-30 minutes of
    >more intense cardio (i.e. you have to huff and puff your way through it) 3 times a week. Sometimes
    >lots of sessions of "lighter" cardio (I assume there's a bit of a break between the running and
    >swimming) doesn't work as well for some people.
    >
    >Don't give up! All the best to you and congrats on sticking to an exercise routine so diligently!
    >That's no small feat.
    >
    >Cheers, Petal
    >

    >"Matthew Collin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size is about 38 and chest 46.
    >> I've recently been working out everyday approx for and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes
    >> running and 15 minutes
    >swimming.
    >> I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not had any empty calories (i.e
    >> alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and not more than 25 grams of fat per day) I've
    >> only lost one pound in weight!!
    >Can
    >> anybody explain this to me? Its very disheartening.

  8. Petal

    Petal Guest

    Thanks, Joyce. :)

    Hee hee I never look at those "calories burned" numbers because they're usually pretty inaccurate.
    Plus, it's very annoying to look down after sweating your buns off to see that you've burned off the
    equivalent of a piece of toast!!

    Well done on sticking with the treadmill. I think that's one of the hardest cardio machines (running
    has been the most difficult exercise for me to do), so congrats to you!

    Cheers, Petal

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    > >routine so diligently! That's no small feat.
    > >
    > >Cheers, Petal
    > >

    > >"Matthew Collin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I'm a 35yr old male. I'm 5ft.9,inches and weight 13st 7. My waste size
    is
    > >> about 38 and chest 46. I've recently been working out everyday approx
    for
    > >> and hour at a time in the gym. Ten minutes running and 15 minutes
    > >swimming.
    > >> I've watched what I've eaten for the past week and a half and not had
    any
    > >> empty calories (i.e alcohol etc).( no more than 2000 cals per day and
    not
    > >> more than 25 grams of fat per day) I've only lost one pound in weight!!
    > >Can
    > >> anybody explain this to me? Its very disheartening.

  9. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Don't I know it! I pump away, huffing and puffing, swear I've been going forever ... and see 100
    calories have barely been moved. LOL I try so hard not to look at those numbers, more because it
    seems to me that the time drags on slower if I *know* how long I've been working. But it also
    seems that they keep making the displays bigger and bigger - pretty hard to ignore. And the only
    way to turn them off (on my machine anyway) is to unplug the dang thing. Kind of defeats the
    purpose then. <G>

    I don't run on the treadmill, probably should but my knees just won't take it. I'm currently
    walking at 4MPH, sometimes just a tad over - and with my short lil legs, that's dang near a light
    jog to keep up.

    Joyce