cant find 27.2-)29.8 seatpost shim

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Baker, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    like this?

    thanx,

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. On 17 Jan 2003, dan baker wrote:
    > I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    > the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    > like this?

    If you can find the appropriate thickness, else you can make it out of thinner layers, a mylar film
    would be just great, and inexpensive too.

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On 17 Jan 2003 07:42:31 -0800, [email protected] (dan baker) wrote:

    >I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    >the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    >like this?
    >
    >thanx,
    >
    >Da

    Post Moderne and X-Lite both make this size, so find an online shop that trades with either of these
    companies.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    > the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    > like this?

    Any competent LBS should have a selection of seatpost sleeves to cover unusual sizes. For example,
    adding a Campagnolo Carbon post to a werido ID frame upwards of 27.2 is a not-so-unusual application
    for a sleeve.

    Popular items include the Tamer brand post sleeves which are 26.8 IDx29.8 OD. USE, for example, are
    25.0IDx29.8OD. This sort of thing runs $10~$20 depending on brand and material.

    Trans-X has a cute continuously adjustable unit that spans a wide range of ODs with a two-part
    interlocking sleeve set. ( sorry I am out and can't recall the exact range but 29.8 is within it)

    If you want to take that route it is certainly doable although you're adding the cost of the adapter
    and the post to the stem.

  5. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On 17 Jan 2003 07:42:31 -0800 [email protected] (dan baker) wrote:

    >I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    >the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    >like this?

    29.8 - 27.2 = 2.6mm, the diametral difference.

    This means that you need material that is half that thick, or
    29.1i/.052" to wrap around your post.

    Start measuring.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  6. Dan Baker

    Dan Baker Guest

    Sergio SERVADIO <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 17 Jan 2003, dan baker wrote:
    > > I have been looking all over for 27.2->29.8 seatpost shim without much luck. found some shims on
    > > the canecreek.com site, but not this size. Does anyone have a retail source online for something
    > > like this?
    >
    > If you can find the appropriate thickness, else you can make it out of thinner layers, a mylar
    > film would be just great, and inexpensive too.
    > --------------------

    that would be a hell of a lot of layers of mylar! In any case, I would hesitate to do multiple
    layers of anything since it would be so much more likely to slip and be a mess to install.

    anyway, turns out that cane creek DOES have that size, it just is not displayed on the website
    detail page.

    Also, I found out that for thin shims not normally offered as post collars, like to go from 28.6 ->
    29.8 (.025 inch shimstock and roll your own), you can buy little sheets of AL shim stock from
    mcmaster.com tool supply.

  7. On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Jim Adney wrote:
    > On 17 Jan 2003 07:42:31 -0800 [email protected] (dan baker) wrote:
    > 29.8 - 27.2 = 2.6mm, the diametral difference. This means that you need material that is half that
    > thick, or
    > 1.3mm/.052" to wrap around your post. Start measuring.

    No, not necessarily so. Not mandatory to wrap it around the full circumpherence at all. When I made
    my shims I made them like so

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx

    and I inserted them only as far as needed. Thus, I did not have to have the 'exact thickness' to
    start with, since what I gained depended on how much the shim did get into the tube. Later, the part
    sticking out was easily trimmed off.

    Sergio Pisa

  8. Thomast41

    Thomast41 Guest

    Go to your local bike shop and have them look in the Quality Bicycle Catalog. QBP has a whole line
    of nice shims covering almost any situation

    Tom @ TET Cycles

  9. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:19:26 +0100 Sergio SERVADIO <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not mandatory to wrap it around the full circumpherence at all. When I made my shims I made
    >them like so
    >
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxxxx
    > xxxxxxxx
    >

    >and I inserted them only as far as needed. Thus, I did not have to have the 'exact thickness' to
    >start with, since what I gained depended on how much the shim did get into the tube. Later, the
    >part sticking out was easily trimmed off.

    I'm not exactly sure what you're describing, but it sounds like a wrapped shim made of thin material
    so that the effect is that of a tapered shim.

    Any kind of tapered shim won't give you the support that you need to keep the post tight without
    excessive tightening and distortion of the seat lug. You really need consistent thickness for about
    2-2.5" down into the frame.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA