Can't find any good reviews of the 2 bikes that I want

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by TuTall76, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TuTall76

TuTall76 New Member

Hey all,

I'm currently undecided between 2 hybrids. I see a lot of others on this forum and others posting about many bikes but i'm torn between 2 that not many speak of, the 2 bikes are the Giant Escape 2 and the Jamis Allegro X Sport.

The Giant I can get for $400 and the Jamis, I can get for $575. Both are a good fit for me (i'm 6'6" 235lbs) and both ride nice but the Jamis has a few extra trinkets like disk brakes and a suspension fork. I really like the ride of the Escape 2 but the Jamis keeps calling me. Now don't get it twisted, I like the ride of the Allegro X as well but I am seriously torn between the two.

If anyone out there can give me any kind of advice it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on pulling the trigger by Friday.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, since you've pedaled both bikes, no one is going to be able to add anything more clarifying. Both will be fine bikes. Both are made by stand-up companies.

3. TuTall76

TuTall76 New Member

That's an honest answer and I appreciate it. I like both but am leaning towards the Jamis and can't find a review on this bike at all.

4. TuTall76

TuTall76 New Member

Just trying to find out if these are descent bikes, well at least the Allegro. I've already read reviews on the Escape 2 but if im leaning toward to the Allegro X, I would like to hear something, anything, positive or negative.

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

If you like it - buy it and ride it.

As said above, both companies make good bikes and the components will stand up to the intended abuse.

Whichever one inspires you to ride more is the bike you should buy...

When I last went out shopping for a new bike I just rode as many as I could and bought the one I liked the best. That policy always works like a charm.

Just look for dings and things that might be physically wrong with the bike rather than what other people might say the ride is like.

6. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

As is stated above, they are both reputable bike brands. Don't let a lack of reviews deter you from the bike you want most.

That being said, maybe the type of terrain you plan on riding could help you decide. The Giant is more of a road bike hybrid, whereas the Jamis is more mountain bike hybrid (suspension fork and disk brakes). A suspension fork will make the ride less harsh on rough terrain, but it's also more money, more weight, and more maintenance. Disk brakes excel over rim brakes in wet/muddy conditions, but have the same drawbacks as the suspension fork. At almost 50% more purchase price, make sure you determine if you really need those "extra trinkets".

7. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

Please do yourself a favor and get the Giant.

They both have very similar drive trains and components. The real difference is that the Jamis has a suspension fork and disk brakes. The brakes will be a little better but unless you are going downhill for an extended time or a very very steep hill then you will never know the difference and the rim brakes are just fine. The Jamis fork on the other hand is a low grade fork and will not help you at all and will rob you of pedaling power. Nothing good can come from that fork especially at your weight (please do not take offense but a low quality fork with a heavy person will not work well).

Don't take this post as negative, I just want to see you get a bike you will like and ride. I can't believe this has not been said already.

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

IMO, if you choose the Hybrid with the RIGID Fork then you will be much happier in the long run ...

• the suspension forks on most Hybrids are probably marginal ...
    • THAT's "okay" because the larger tires on a Hybrid will supply most of the cushioning that you may want
    • but, then that means that the suspension fork on a Hybrid is superfluous -- aka dead weight & therefore an unnecessary added expense

If you want a bike which has 700c wheels + a suspension fork then you should consider a 29er or, at least, a 29er fork.

Disc brakes are a good thing if you ride in wet conditions, otherwise they, too, are dead weight.

FWIW. While I don't own one, the JAMIS CODA is very high on my list of bikes and would probably be my choice if I were in the market for a new bike.

• I would choose the base model (why pay more?) because it has a steel frame (about a 2 lb. weight penalty over an aluminum frame) & the money saved up front could be spent later on different-or-better components in the future.

9. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

I'm with Alf on this. A shock fork on a bike that's ridden primarily on the road is a waste. Besides adding weight and not working very well, they screw up what would otherwise be crisp handling.

The Giant sure hits the feature-price point hard, but if you'd like a basis of comparison, try a Trek 7.2 FX or a Specialized Sirrus. I think you could be happy with any of these bikes.

10. Nightfader

Nightfader New Member

I would suggest the Trek 7.2 FX as well my roomate owns one of these and is rather satisfied with the quality of the frame