Can't find pannier bag for large notebook! Please help.

Brian Hay

Guest
I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike but I need to transport a large
notebook (and other gear) regularly.

The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing Targus notebook case is 46cm x
17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under 7-10kg.

I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb, Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty
"office" or "briefcase" panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook and
the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not solid/padded enough for a notebook.

Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into or a way to securely (and
quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard
pannier for clothes etc.

Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?

Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well cushioned?

I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public transport if I don't have to.

Regards, Brian Hay.

Try a large Carradice saddlebag. I've been carrying notebooks to and from work each day for about
three years with no problems, though my notebooks are rather smaller and lighter.

Nick

Try to get hold of a copy of a British Magazine (i.e.) the CTX magazine). I have seen notebook
carriers advertised and reviewed in them.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well cushioned?

I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy by modern standards) into a Crumpler
messenger bag. I think this model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.

Seems ok so far. Only been using it for about 8 weeks.

-kt

kingsley wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:25:12 +1000, Brian Hay wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>>
>>Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well cushioned?
>

> I stuff my clunky old Dell inspiron 7000 (quite big & heavy by modern standards) into a Crumpler
> messenger bag. I think this model is the 'Wonder Weenie' not their special laptop bag.
>
> Seems ok so far. Only been using it for about 8 weeks.
>
> -kt

The Crumpler web site is hilarious (turn your speakers on):

http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/home.ehtml

&roo

"Brian Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm new to commuting via bicycle. My work is 30-40mins away by bike but I need to transport a
> large notebook (and other gear) regularly.
>
> The notebook alone is 36cm x 4cm x 27cm (W x H x D) and the existing Targus notebook case is 46cm
> x 17cm x 38cm (approx). Weight is under 7-10kg.
>
> I've looked at many online pannier manufacturers (Ortlieb, Bushwhacker, Arkel etc). The specialty
> "office" or "briefcase" panniers with notebook inserts are too small for my oversized notebook and
> the other standard panniers are mostly too small or not solid/padded enough for a notebook.
>
> Ideally I'd want a jumbo pannier to stuff the entire Targus bag into or a way to securely (and
> quickly) strap the Targus to the top of the rack. Regardless, I'll probably need a second standard
> pannier for clothes etc.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or direct experience with this?
>
> Will a modern notebook survive repeated bicycle transit if well cushioned?
>
> I'm really enjoying riding so I don't want to go back to car or public transport if I don't
> have to.

Hi Brian,

Just thought I would share my thoughts...

I have been carrying laptops for years adhoc home on my bike, only in a standard backpack, or more
recently slinging a toshiba leather carry bag over my shoulders. Never had a problem with the laptop
(although my palm IIIx died after jogging to work with it in my bum bag).

As far as suits etc go, I have always kept stuff at work and dry cleaned there as required. Saves on
having to bring stuff in from home.

I would think that the computer will be under a fair bit more stress on a pannier than strapped to
the back however...

Tim