Can't Get My Ergo Levers Tightened Onto 3t Bars..

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kinch, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kinch

Kinch New Member

I've built up quite a few bikes but never experienced this problem. My Campagnolo Ergo lever won't grip tightly enough on a new pair of 3t carbon bars. Even 10nm isn't enough torque to keep them in place.
    The levers can be mounted on Deda bars without problems, and the older style ergo levers can be mounted on the 3t without problem. I just can't figure out what the problem is, or how to get around it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Where on the forward bend of the handlebar are you trying to mount the levers?

3. Kinch

Kinch New Member

I've attached an image of the location of the levers. It's well within the normal range.

Attached Files:

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Crazy. Have you tried carbon assembly paste?

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Okay ...

I'm not really sure how your brake levers are actually oriented when on the bike ...

Regardless, if it doesn't offend your sensibilities ...

Then, buy some RUBBERMAID SHELF LINER & cut a 1-to-2 inch wide band that you will partially wrap around the handlebar where you want to clamp the shifter (you can hold it in place with some masking tape on the upper & lower edges OR with some cellophane-type tape) ...

The shelf liner can be compressed to a fairly thin dimension ...

Remove the shifter from the clamp, or vice versa ...

Slide the clamp in place (remove as of the shelf liner as necessary until you can get the clamp to sleeve over the handlebar + liner -- you may only need a couple of inches of the shelf liner material) ...

Install your cables ...

Attach the shifter ...

Tape the housing down onto the handlebars ... .

Wrap the handlebars.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Before you try shimming, remove the lever from the bar and try tightening the clamp. Look to see that it is not binding as it is tightened. A little oil on the bearing surface (not on the clamp band) may be required.

Tighten it and verify how much smaller than the diameter of the bar you can get the clamp band tightened.