Cant get the hang of SPDs

ignition

Jun 7, 2003
I dont know whether it is me or a setting or what but I do not seem to be able to get the hang of SPDs.

More to the point the getting your foot in and out of the pedal in time- I have fallen over more than I should. It is not that I cant do it at all it seems to be more of a confidence thing- so that I often slow and have to get my foot out long before a traffic light for example- this become more of a problem in heavey traffic.

Does anyone have any advice on optimum tension settings- I have them very loose, but then then foot sometime seems to catch them when pulling it out.

Would I benefit from trying an alternative such as Look-

Cheers

It really is just a question of practice. You can make things a little smother when you clickin and out by applying a light lubricant on the cleats / where the cleats connect with your pedals. But really it just is a matter of practice - don't give up it really is worth persevering with.

When I got my first SPD pedals I sat on my bike in my lounge room and clicked in and out for a long time until I felt confident to get in and out of the pedals. This avoids the worry of falling over in traffic. Also I wouldn't set the tension too low if anything have it a bit on the high side while you are practicing so that you really know when you have clicked in and when you have dissengaged the pedal - (because with higher tension you get a more positive feel) if you are worried you can always back the tension off when you go for a ride.

Good luck.

Rob.

so there would be nothing gained by choosing a different system ? (obviously I dont want to spend more cash)

I'll try the lubricant.

Thanks

Yeah, look there are different views on which system is best for the type of riding you are doing and the type of rider you are, for example many competitive mountain bike riders swear by TIME attack pedals and competitiv road riders have their favourites too but by the sounds of it SPD is as good a place as any for you to get used to clicking in and out so I wouldn't reach for the wallet until you have few more clicks under your belt.

Good luck

Rob.

This is a problem with SPD. Difficult to find the correct tension. Other brands have different mechanism, that might help you:
- I use Speedplay. Allows a lot of sideway movement (30 degrees), but when I extend this movement it releases with almost no power needed. (On the newer Speedplay Zero, there are more options to adjust the free movment).
- I think that Campa also has solved this problem, quite different than Speedplay, but don't know how.

But it's worth to do some "exersices" first - we usually need some time to get used to clip-on pedals. (It's common with some "fall over's" on the first rides)

Funnily enough lubricating the cleats has done the trick.

Dont ask why I didnt think of this before- I suppose I assumed that as they were new then this wouldnt be an issue