Can't remove crank - thread stripped

On 4 Jun 2006 09:07:40 GMT, Anthony Campbell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Anthony

Bearing puller if your LBS doesn't have one, try a washing machine
repair shop.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>
> Any ideas?

Automotive ball joint extractor. New LH arm.

Chalo Colina

On 2006-06-04, Kinky Cowboy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2006 09:07:40 GMT, Anthony Campbell <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Anthony

> Bearing puller if your LBS doesn't have one, try a washing machine
> repair shop.

Thanks to both for replies. LBS got it off with an over-sized extractor.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anthony,

Ah, notice the use of the passive voice. I've stripped a few myself,
by being in a hurry, and forgetting to first remove the bolt that holds
the crank to the spindle.

An alternative method for removing the crank is to get a (large) hammer
and a (small) piece of scrap lumber. Place the bike on the ground,
gently place the lumber on the inside of the errant crank (as a
protective shield), and repeatedly wack it hard until the crank is
removed.

Works for me,
Larry

wrote:

>I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>
>Any ideas?

If there's room for the jaws between the back of the crank and the end
of the BB, a regular automotive gear puller does the job nicely. If
you are not concerned about saving the crank to reinstall, then there
are a number of options available involving various impolite
implements and techniques.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

For me, a cold chisel as a wedge between the crank and the BB has worked fine for me.

On 05 Jun 2006 00:59:29 GMT, [email protected] (Bonnell Frost)
wrote:

>For me, a cold chisel as a wedge between the crank and the BB has worked fine for me.

Care is needed with that or a ball joint separator; it's easy to tear
up the left BB retainer on some setups.
--

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have
> stripped.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anthony

Here's a bad one that works: ride it bolt-free till it falls off.
--
Phil

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.

Is it a good crank, worth saving? I use a piloted oversize tap to cut
23mm threads, so the damaged crank can be removed with an old TA-sized
puller.

If the crank isn't worth saving, then loosen the bolt and ride it
carefully to loosen the crank on the taper.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

"Anthony Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I nee to remove a LH cotterless alloy crank whose threads have stripped.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Campbell - [email protected]
> Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
> http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
> on-line books and sceptical articles)

Actually the most marvelous method is to remove the locking bolt. Then go
for a ride, I can pretty much guarantee that it will come loose on you, no
problrm.
You might want to stay close to home though, for when it comes loose.