Can't remove Pedal

Peter Rollason

Guest
What Do I do if I can't shift a pedal from the crank. I think lbs used a special tool to
tighten it ?

Neither pedal will shift - any tips

Pete.

Have the same LBS remove the pedals and buy a pedal wrench while you're there and install/remove
yourself in the future.

You do realize that the left pedal is a left handed thread?

"Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What Do I do if I can't shift a pedal from the crank. I think lbs used a special tool to
> tighten it ?
>
> Neither pedal will shift - any tips
>
> Pete.

Well I have removed before without to many problems

what is the issue with the thread - which way should I be pushing ?

Pete. "RoyG" <royg at nospam> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have the same LBS remove the pedals and buy a pedal wrench while you're there and install/remove
> yourself in the future.
>
> You do realize that the left pedal is a left handed thread?
>
> "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What Do I do if I can't shift a pedal from the crank. I think lbs used a special tool to
> > tighten it ?
> >
> > Neither pedal will shift - any tips
> >
> > Pete.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:26:30 +0100, "Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote:

<top posting fixed>

>"RoyG" <royg at nospam> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Have the same LBS remove the pedals and buy a pedal wrench while you're there and install/remove
>> yourself in the future.
>>
>> You do realize that the left pedal is a left handed thread?

>Well I have removed before without to many problems
>
>what is the issue with the thread - which way should I be pushing ?

The left pedal is reverse threaded, so you turn the wrench clockwise to loosen.

Pedals can be very stubborn, you (or the LBS) may even need to heat the crank with a torch. Make
sure to grease the threads when you install the new pedals (and take care not to cross thread,
pedals are marked L and R).
--

Chris Bird

> Well I have removed before without to many problems
>
> what is the issue with the thread - which way should I be pushing ?
>
> Pete.

The right pedal is right-hand threaded, meaning that it tightens when you turn it clockwise as
viewed from the outside end of the pedal axle. It loosens anti-clockwise.

Opposite direction for the left pedal, which is left-hand threaded.

Most pedals take a 15 mm wrench (spanner) but a standard one is often too thick to fit onto the axle
flats. Hence the "special" tool at the bike shop. Buy one. It will pay for itself.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"Peter Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Well I have removed before without to many problems
>
> what is the issue with the thread - which way should I be pushing ?

left hand pedal is left hand threaded. this meansn that it is threaded opposite the intuitive
'righty-tighty' thread. so, lean your bike against a wall, with the bike facing left. put the wrench
on the left pedal, and turn the pedal clockwise to loosen it. opposite for the right pedal.

i find that with tough pedals, it is easier to get them undone on the ground than on a stand. i have
good luck by rotating the pedal to the
9:00 position, forward, putting the wrench facing backwards, 6:00. hold the other pedal in my
hand, and lean my chest on the saddle while i push down on teh wrench and hold the opposite
pedal. if you're absolutely sure you're turning in the right direction, you can really put some
effort into it.

On 30 Jul 2003 19:44:44 -0700, [email protected] (ant) wrote:

>i find that with tough pedals, it is easier to get them undone on the ground than on a stand.

I've had good luck by taking the crankarm off the bicycle and putting it into a vise. I protect the
crank by wrapping in strips of aluminum can. The pedal wrench is long and I can pull pretty hard.
The pedals to loosen.