Can't ride out of saddle on trainer - why?

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
I'm riding weeknights on mys KK trainer with Carmichael or Spinervals DVDs for company. I'm not having any problem keeping up with the various programs, but I can't for the life of me stay out of the saddle for more than 10-15 sec. It feels incredibly awkward and blows my legs out in no time. I can ride out of the saddle on outdoor hill climbs when I need to just fine. What could I be doing wrong, or do others have this problem on trainers too? Is it possible my front wheel is too low (i.e. not "up" as it would be if I was climbing outdoors)?

genedoc said:
I'm riding weeknights on mys KK trainer with Carmichael or Spinervals DVDs for company. I'm not having any problem keeping up with the various programs, but I can't for the life of me stay out of the saddle for more than 10-15 sec. It feels incredibly awkward and blows my legs out in no time. I can ride out of the saddle on outdoor hill climbs when I need to just fine. What could I be doing wrong, or do others have this problem on trainers too? Is it possible my front wheel is too low (i.e. not "up" as it would be if I was climbing outdoors)?
I experienced the same thing last winter when i was living in Wisconsin and riding on the trainer a lot. First I should point out that i RARELY if ever get out of the saddle when climbing. I've read that it takes about 8% more energy to climb out of the saddle. That being said, what I do notice about people that climb out of the saddle is that they do so at really low RPM. So what RPM are you doing when you get out of the saddle during these videos? My guess is that you are doing a pretty high RPM compared to what you would do outside when you get out of the saddle and that is why you get tired more quickly.

Because I wasn't used to getting out of the saddle I would skip a time or two that i was told to get out of the saddle (Spinervals videos especially as Troy is really random and likes to make you get out of the saddle) until I got more used to it and then i could do all of them, I'm guessing you will have the same results.

genedoc said:
I don't try to ride out of the saddle on the trainer. Because the back wheel is fixed the riding characteristics are completely different from the road. On the road when I'm out of the saddle on steeper climbs, the bike will often be moving from side to side, which is impossible on the trainer.

genedoc said:
What could I be doing wrong, or do others have this problem on trainers too?
You really have to shift into a high gear to get out of the saddle on the trainer. I shift to the 53x12 whenever I need to give the boys a little breathing room. ;)

frenchyge said:
You really have to shift into a high gear to get out of the saddle on the trainer. I shift to the 53x12 whenever I need to give the boys a little breathing room. ;)
Ahem, new knicks a little tight?:p

OK, I don't feel like such a Spinervals failure. I can sprint out of the saddle and on steep climbs, but in both cases it takes so much torque to move the cranks that standing feels like...well, standing. Coach Tony wants us to spin at 90-95 rpm in medium gearing with too little crank resistance to hold the rider up in a "standing" position. Does anyone know what CT is trying to accomplish with this exercise?

genedoc said:
Does anyone know what CT is trying to accomplish with this exercise?
I can't think of anything specific (well, actually that cadence choice seems rather non-specific, from your comments). My guess is that it just provides an opportunity to stretch and change things up so the DVD stays interesting, without interrupting the workout.

fastcat said:
I don't try to ride out of the saddle on the trainer. Because the back wheel is fixed the riding characteristics are completely different from the road. On the road when I'm out of the saddle on steeper climbs, the bike will often be moving from side to side, which is impossible on the trainer.
Incidentally, Kurt Kinetic has a new trainer that does have a "side to side" movement. It's called the Rock and Roll.

Kind of pricey, but it's cool. I'm hoping they integrate it to work with cycling software, like the Fitcentric or other "game-like" software.

Shea
https://www.usasportstraining.com