Can't say I've noticed it before

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Andy Crawford, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
    Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    to another!
    Anyone got an answer?
    --
    Regards

    Andy

    www.chiadfhear.co.uk

    Tags:

  2. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:07:40 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    >the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
    >Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    >money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    >to another!
    >Anyone got an answer?

    No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
    service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
    making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
    replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
    you bought it.

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  3. "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:07:40 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    >>the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
    >>Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
    >>spend
    >>money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
    >>department
    >>to another!
    >>Anyone got an answer?

    > No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
    > service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
    > making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
    > replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
    > you bought it.
    >

    > Best wishes,
    > --
    > ,,
    > (**)PeeWiglet~~
    > / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow expansion
    of the fluid in the compass.

  4. "Andy Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    > the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
    > Anyone got an answer?
    > --
    > Regards
    > Andy

    They repaired / replaced mine (a 54) when it deveolped the same fault. It
    was some time ago, and I have a feeling that there was no charge.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

  5. > It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow
    expansion
    > of the fluid in the compass.

    ## I think you're wrong there :) what if it wasn't there before but has
    suddenly appeared? where did it come from?
    I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
    any slight expansion of the fluid.
    Having said that I've had it happen with at least two Silva compasses
    and contacted them in the past. They'll replace the capsule at a cost.
    It isn't a problem and the compasses seem to function perfectly well.

  6. Amicus

    Amicus Guest

    Even stranger, years ago quite a large bubble appeared in my ancient
    Type 4S, and disappeared just as mysteriously, no bubble 'at this
    time'

  7. Amicus

    Amicus Guest

    Just had a thought, could air travel be doing this, checked baggage??

  8. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
    graham blamey contained the following:

    >I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
    >any slight expansion of the fluid.

    Not unless it was flexible.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  9. Thanks guys and gals! I'll see what Silva say.
    Your input appreciated.
    --
    Remove my boots to email me ...
    Regards
    message news:[email protected]
    > "Andy Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble
    >> in
    >> the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
    >> Anyone got an answer?
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >> Andy

    > They repaired / replaced mine (a 54) when it deveolped the same fault. It
    > was some time ago, and I have a feeling that there was no charge.
    >
    > --
    > M Stewart
    > Milton Keynes, UK
    > http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Andy Crawford wrote:
    > I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
    > the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)

    They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed
    compass housing expands a little. And then they go again when the
    pressure goes up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very
    big, indicating the seal has gone quite badly.

    > Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
    > money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
    > to another!

    Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
    its not a congenital customer service problem.

    > Anyone got an answer?

    I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  11. Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
    Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :)

    --
    Remove my boots to email me ...
    Regards
    <snip>"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Andy Crawford wrote:
    >> I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble
    >> in the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)

    > They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed compass
    > housing expands a little. And then they go again when the pressure goes
    > up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very big, indicating
    > the seal has gone quite badly.
    >
    >> Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
    >> spend money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
    >> department to another!

    > Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
    > its not a congenital customer service problem.
    >
    >> Anyone got an answer?

    > I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:19:09 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
    >Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :)

    Very cool! I'm glad you got a good outcome :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~