Can't say I've noticed it before

Andy Crawford

Guest
I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
to another!
Anyone got an answer?
--
Regards

Andy

www.chiadfhear.co.uk

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:07:40 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
>the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
>Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
>money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
>to another!
>Anyone got an answer?

No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
you bought it.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:07:40 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
>>the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
>>Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
>>spend
>>money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
>>department
>>to another!
>>Anyone got an answer?

> No, but I've read that Silva are normally very good indeed at customer
> service, and so this might be a case in which a phone call is worth
> making. Based on what I've read, there's a good chance that they'll
> replace it for you if the bubble constitutes a problem, no matter when
> you bought it.
>

> Best wishes,
> --
> ,,
> (**)PeeWiglet~~
> / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow expansion
of the fluid in the compass.

"Andy Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
> the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)
> Anyone got an answer?
> --
> Regards
> Andy

They repaired / replaced mine (a 54) when it deveolped the same fault. It
was some time ago, and I have a feeling that there was no charge.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

> It's there to cater for one of the laws of physics i.e. to allow
expansion
> of the fluid in the compass.

## I think you're wrong there :) what if it wasn't there before but has
suddenly appeared? where did it come from?
I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
any slight expansion of the fluid.
Having said that I've had it happen with at least two Silva compasses
and contacted them in the past. They'll replace the capsule at a cost.
It isn't a problem and the compasses seem to function perfectly well.

Even stranger, years ago quite a large bubble appeared in my ancient
Type 4S, and disappeared just as mysteriously, no bubble 'at this
time'

Just had a thought, could air travel be doing this, checked baggage??

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]> from
graham blamey contained the following:

>I think the (sealed) capsule is sufficiently strong enough to withstand
>any slight expansion of the fluid.

Not unless it was flexible.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Thanks guys and gals! I'll see what Silva say.
Your input appreciated.
--
Remove my boots to email me ...
Regards

Andy Crawford wrote:
> I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble in
> the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)

They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed
compass housing expands a little. And then they go again when the
pressure goes up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very
big, indicating the seal has gone quite badly.

> Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll spend
> money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one department
> to another!

Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
its not a congenital customer service problem.

> Anyone got an answer?

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :)

--
Remove my boots to email me ...
Regards
<snip>"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Crawford wrote:
>> I recently noticed that my Silva Type 54 compass has a small air bubble
>> in the fluid and wondered if it's always been there. :)

> They often appear as atmospheric pressure goes down and the sealed compass
> housing expands a little. And then they go again when the pressure goes
> up. They're not generally a problem unless they get very big, indicating
> the seal has gone quite badly.
>
>> Silva in Livingston have ignored my emails and I'll be d****d if I'll
>> spend money on a phone call to more than likely get 'shunted' from one
>> department to another!

> Silva were pretty responsive when Roos' compass flipped 180 degrees, so
> its not a congenital customer service problem.
>
>> Anyone got an answer?

> I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:19:09 +0100, "Andy Crawford"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Decided to phone Silva and got through to 'Technical' without a problem.
>Invited to return the compass for replacement ... FOC :)

Very cool! I'm glad you got a good outcome :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~