Can't Seem To Pull the Trigger!

Not a dig at your shop obviously.

I'm just discouraged by the offerings, service and general atmosphere of my shops within a half hour's drive. For the sake of remaining reasonably pleasant I will refrain from going into the specifics of what makes these specific shops depressing places to visit.

There is a shop about a 2 hour drive out that I happen to respect a lot. The mechanics there are great and the selection is good to very good. Unfortunately, the shop employees have major attitude. I've seen it many times directed at myself and others.

This is a trend I've seen: quality shops with competent employees who undermine your trust with snarky attitude, vs the stoned out, zombie incompetent employees who prey on tourists, total novices and the completely desperate at the worst of shops.

I can see why a company like bikesdirect has become a major player in the quality bikes market.

LBS's are certainly hanging on: the data I've seen suggests that indie shops have enjoyed stable bicycle sales for at least a decade if not longer.

Quote by new_rider:
"This is a trend I've seen: quality shops with competent employees who undermine your trust with snarky attitude, vs the stoned out, zombie incompetent employees who prey on tourists, total novices and the completely desperate at the worst of shops."

I've seen way too many shops with loser, know-nothing, ham-fisted kids that are passed off as mechanics or sales representatives. Just listening to them makes me want to take up sky-diving.

The snarky ones that 'think' they have some knowledge are pretty few and far between around here.

I have to agree about the stoners and drugaholics. I can't believe the number of decent local shops that hire these losers. I guess scraping the bottom of the minimum wage bracket barrel and hiring the wife's nephews is par for the course in my area.

Buy a complete bike. Buy a basic set of tools - Allen wrenches, pedal wrenches (if needed - not needed if Allen hex is present on the axle). Small torque wrench with hex fittings. Buy basic - lubes and goo. Oil, grease, threadlocker. Download the techdocs for your frame and components and follow to the letter and enjoy a trouble free life of riding.

Yes it feels good to get yourself something like this. I wonder which one he got. I don't know it all depends upon how important it is to you to get something that costs that much. I'm happy with a good basic bike.

Have you considered a slightly used bike? My 2013 Giant TCR SL1 was a $2,000 bike when new, but I bought it for $900. It's a great aluminum frame with full Ultegra components. The previous owner even swapped the wheels right away for a different set, so the wheels/tires that came with it are brand new. I'm not against new bikes, but there are great deals to be had on the used market.

The question to ask yourself is, do you really want to ride? If not, go invest in something else. Spend on what your heart really wants. I think that if you have not "been able to pull the trigger" then you do not truly want to ride and therefore investing in a bicycle is not for you. In that frame of mind you can't be convinced to buy a good one. Perhaps in some future phase of your life? But not now. Not at this time. You need to go elsewhere and do other things.

Bob

I need to look more carefully at the original post if it happens that user "JSWin" commented on it -- the thread is likely to be very old and the original poster no longer cares about or is even aware of subsequent posts.

Bob