Can't select all gears !!

gorris1

Mar 11, 2005
Hi,
I have a 7 speed mountain bike ( Shimano 13-34 ) & have just fitted a new rear wheel. The new wheel is designed for a 9 speed cassette but i was sold a 7 speed cassette ( Shimano 11-28 ) with a spacer which i was told would work.
I used the bike yesterday & found that i could not use the smallest ( Highest )gear. The chain will go onto the smallest gear but seems to be riding up on the teeth before dropping back into place.
Is this something to do with the chain ?
Would be grateful for any input, many thanks..... G.

gorris1 said:
Hi,
I have a 7 speed mountain bike ( Shimano 13-34 ) & have just fitted a new rear wheel. The new wheel is designed for a 9 speed cassette but i was sold a 7 speed cassette ( Shimano 11-28 ) with a spacer which i was told would work.
I used the bike yesterday & found that i could not use the smallest ( Highest )gear. The chain will go onto the smallest gear but seems to be riding up on the teeth before dropping back into place.

You need to adjust the rear derailer... see www.sheldonbrown.com and look for the section on gears and drivetrain.

Good luck with it,
Ritch

gorris1 said:
Hi,
I had the same thing happen to my road bike.....anytime you modify your equipment, ie: install derailleurs, change cables, etc., you have to double check everything... I had my shifters replaced and as such, I had to get my derailleurs adjusted. However, because my front derailleur was off by just a tad, I could not get my chain to get to the largest ring. All it took was a small adjustment to a screw and voila!

Thanks chaps,
I've checked both websites suggested & will go through the adjustments.:)

Well i had a good look at the bike on Saturday intending to adjust the rear derailleurs. However, i noticed that the spacer supplied with the cassette to go between the smallest gear & the lockring ( A metal castellated ring ) was showing signs of chewing. Looking closely whilst turning the pedals i could see that the chail was riding up on the castellations so i removed the ring.

Cycled for 15 miles with no problems selecting gears, just hope the cassette doesn't mind having no ring fitted !:eek: