Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by NYC XYZ, May 8, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    over yet or kicked me out. =)

    Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    for the heck of it! Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    all...). =D

    Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    indirect heat might damage the helmet.

    Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????

    Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    the styrofoam's molecular structure??? (Materials Science is such an
    interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    then manipulating subatomic physics!)

    I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...but this Giro Roc Loc
    4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now. Just funny to think
    that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    direct sunlight!

    Tags:

  2. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    > far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    > comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    > over yet or kicked me out. =)
    >
    > Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    > wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    > for the heck of it! Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    > warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    > all...). =D
    >
    > Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    > manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    > Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    > indirect heat might damage the helmet.
    >
    > Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????
    >
    > Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    > aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    > the styrofoam's molecular structure??? (Materials Science is such an
    > interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    > Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    > come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    > then manipulating subatomic physics!)
    >
    > I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...but this Giro Roc Loc
    > 4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now. Just funny to think
    > that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    > direct sunlight!

    The marketeers would like you to believe that you should replace your
    helmet if:

    - You drop it
    - You leave it in a hot car
    - It is exposed to UV
    - It is more than X years old
    etc., etc.

    The truth is that most helmets are *very* profitable and thay will say
    and do nearly anything to get you to ditch the one you have now and buy
    a new one.

    Just use common sense

  3. Ken C. M.

    Ken C. M. Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    > far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    > comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    > over yet or kicked me out. =)
    >
    > Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    > wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    > for the heck of it! Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    > warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    > all...). =D
    >
    > Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    > manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    > Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    > indirect heat might damage the helmet.
    >
    > Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????
    >
    > Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    > aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    > the styrofoam's molecular structure??? (Materials Science is such an
    > interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    > Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    > come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    > then manipulating subatomic physics!)
    >
    > I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...but this Giro Roc Loc
    > 4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now. Just funny to think
    > that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    > direct sunlight!

    Well UV rays damage lots of things, the most important being your skin
    plus rubber, plastics and painted surfaces, just to name a few. So it
    sounds logical that the foam in your $100 plus helmet might be damaged
    by those blasted UV rays also.

    Ken
    --
    New cycling jersey: $49
    new cycling shorts: $39

  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ozark Bicycle wrote:

    > The marketeers would like you to believe that you should replace your
    > helmet if:
    >
    > - You drop it
    > - You leave it in a hot car
    > - It is exposed to UV
    > - It is more than X years old
    > etc., etc.
    >
    > The truth is that most helmets are *very* profitable and thay will say
    > and do nearly anything to get you to ditch the one you have now and buy
    > a new one.
    >
    > Just use common sense

    Right -- I was only wondering, though, how they could sound as if
    they're admitting that their helmets are useless! I mean, I was always
    suspicious of mere styrofoam, but if even they themselves will say that
    mere sunlight and heat can damage it -- and thus negate the whole point
    of wearing one...well, I dunno, maybe helmets are for dummies who can't
    see the contradiction in that!

  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Ken C. M. wrote:
    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >

    > Well UV rays damage lots of things, the most important being your skin
    > plus rubber, plastics and painted surfaces, just to name a few. So it
    > sounds logical that the foam in your $100 plus helmet might be damaged
    > by those blasted UV rays also.
    >
    > Ken
    > --
    > New cycling jersey: $49
    > new cycling shorts: $39
    > Not being a slave to the petrol pump: priceless.

    Yes, I know, but for a helmet maker to say that is tantamount to saying
    that the helmet is...basically useless! I mean, it's supposed to be a
    critical part of one's riding gear, but it's got an undetermined "shelf
    life!"

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Ozark Bicycle wrote:
    > >

    > > The marketeers would like you to believe that you should replace your
    > > helmet if:
    > >
    > > - You drop it
    > > - You leave it in a hot car
    > > - It is exposed to UV
    > > - It is more than X years old
    > > etc., etc.
    > >
    > > The truth is that most helmets are *very* profitable and thay will say
    > > and do nearly anything to get you to ditch the one you have now and buy
    > > a new one.
    > >
    > > Just use common sense

    > Right -- I was only wondering, though, how they could sound as if
    > they're admitting that their helmets are useless! I mean, I was always
    > suspicious of mere styrofoam, but if even they themselves will say that
    > mere sunlight and heat can damage it -- and thus negate the whole point
    > of wearing one...well, I dunno, maybe helmets are for dummies who can't
    > see the contradiction in that!

    By "heat", I would assume that they're referring to what it might get
    sitting on a steam radiator in your house, or on the dash of your
    closed-up car in the middle of the summer. Not what it would get from
    you wearing it during the summer.

    newsgroups if possible).

  7. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ken C. M. wrote:
    > > NYC XYZ wrote:
    > >

    > > Well UV rays damage lots of things, the most important being your skin
    > > plus rubber, plastics and painted surfaces, just to name a few. So it
    > > sounds logical that the foam in your $100 plus helmet might be damaged
    > > by those blasted UV rays also.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > > --
    > > New cycling jersey: $49
    > > new cycling shorts: $39
    > > Not being a slave to the petrol pump: priceless.

    > Yes, I know, but for a helmet maker to say that is tantamount to saying
    > that the helmet is...basically useless! I mean, it's supposed to be a
    > critical part of one's riding gear, but it's got an undetermined "shelf
    > life!"

    Get a clue, NYC...many outdoor products have a "shelf life" (e.g., tents,
    lawn furniture, etc.), due to the effects of UV and heat.

    In the case of helmets, there's also the fact that they are designed to be
    light and comfortable. You could probably design a stainless steel helmet
    that was not subject to UV breakdown...but, you wouldn't want to wear it.

    GG

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    GaryG wrote:

    > In the case of helmets, there's also the fact that they are designed to be
    > light and comfortable.

    Relatively light and not especially uncomfortable is nearer the mark.

    > You could probably design a stainless steel helmet
    > that was not subject to UV breakdown...but, you wouldn't want to wear it.

    Knowing the specification to which cycle helmets are built, and knowing
    they are considerably less comfortable than a cotton cap, and knowing
    they don't have any track record of saving serious injuries, I don't
    really want to bother myself with the polystyrene ones as far as normal
    road riding is concerned.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  9. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    GaryG wrote:

    > Get a clue, NYC...many outdoor products have a "shelf life" (e.g., tents,
    > lawn furniture, etc.), due to the effects of UV and heat.
    >
    > In the case of helmets, there's also the fact that they are designed to be
    > light and comfortable. You could probably design a stainless steel helmet
    > that was not subject to UV breakdown...but, you wouldn't want to wear it.
    >
    > GG

    The point, again, is that this is a piece of safety equipment --
    CRITICAL, to hear folks speak of it -- which can somehow fail simply
    from being in "heat"...which I take to mean sunlight as well, most of
    all. Considering that most biking is done in the summertime, in
    daytime, etc., this characteristic seems to fundamentally contradict
    the very purpose of the product!

  10. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    UseNet via Cable Modem wrote:

    > By "heat", I would assume that they're referring to what it might get
    > sitting on a steam radiator in your house, or on the dash of your
    > closed-up car in the middle of the summer. Not what it would get from
    > you wearing it during the summer.
    >
    > --
    > Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    > newsgroups if possible).

    That's the thing -- the exact wording is "direct or indirect heat" --
    which I take to mean sunlight as well, and UV exposure in particular.

    Just seems an astounding fine-print, if I'm reading this correctly! I
    mean, we're talking about the most critical piece of safety equipment
    for an activity that generally takes place at daytime in summer....

  11. Tom

    Tom Guest

    The "shelf life" of a helmet is VERY long. While sun and UV lights do
    degrade a helmet, this degradation is very slow and only effects the
    surface layers. Over time the foam does change it's characteristics but
    that changes appear to be a wash as far as protection ability of the
    helmet.

    That being said a helmet offers almost no protection. Do NOT be fooled
    into thinking that a helmet will protect your head in all but the very
    slightest of accidents.

    While 90% of all accidents fall into that catagory you should probably
    be aware that just falling over and hitting your head against a curb
    will substantially exceed the protective capacity of a helmet.

    Wear a helmet if you prefer but don't let it take the place of
    intelligent riding. Don't run stop signs. Always ride on the correct
    side of the road. Remember that riding with others is perhaps the most
    dangerous part of a ride since touching wheels will take you down
    faster than anything else.

  12. dvt

    dvt Guest

    From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:

    /Don't excessively cross-post/

    * Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one group
    at a time, in the same post.
    * If a message truly belongs in multiple groups, by all means
    cross-post. In fact it is better to cross-post than to post the same
    message separately to different groups.
    * Be careful when replying to a post. The initial post may have
    been inappropriately cross-posted; if you do not edit the list of
    newsgroups, your reply will also be inappropriately cross-posted.
    * Consider setting "followups" to one group. Your post may be
    relevant to 3 groups, but you can set followups to one group and then
    the discussion will continue there. When using the followup header, it
    is nice to put in the message somewhere "Followups set."

    And from http://www.use-net.ch/netiquette_engl.html:

    /Avoid posting to multiple newsgroups/
    Few things annoy Usenet readers as much as multiple copies of a posting
    appearing in multiple newsgroups.

    NYCXYZ, please stop cross-posting or at least set the Followup-to for
    one group. Thanks.

    The followups to this message are set to rec.bicycles.misc, a group that
    I rarely visit but seems most appropriate for this discussion.

  13. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > UseNet via Cable Modem wrote:
    > >

    > > By "heat", I would assume that they're referring to what it might get
    > > sitting on a steam radiator in your house, or on the dash of your
    > > closed-up car in the middle of the summer. Not what it would get from
    > > you wearing it during the summer.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    > > newsgroups if possible).

    > That's the thing -- the exact wording is "direct or indirect heat" --
    > which I take to mean sunlight as well, and UV exposure in particular.
    >
    > Just seems an astounding fine-print, if I'm reading this correctly! I
    > mean, we're talking about the most critical piece of safety equipment
    > for an activity that generally takes place at daytime in summer....

    Uh, no...."the most critical piece of safety equipment" sits behind
    your eyes and between your ears. Always take it with you, wherever you
    go, whatever you do.

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    {newsgroups restored}

    dvt wrote:
    > From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:
    >
    > /Don't excessively cross-post/
    >
    > * Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one group
    > at a time, in the same post.

    > * If a message /truly belongs/ in multiple groups, by all means
    > cross-post. In fact it is /better/ to cross-post than to post the same
    > message separately to different groups. {italics added}

    HELLO?!? Which of the groups above are inappropriate???

    While I'm 92.3% sure the OP was a troll, it WAS on topic for the groups in
    which it was...cast.

    By posting your holier-than-thou admonition to just ONE group, people in the
    others were deprived of your much-needed {netcop sarcams mode} wisdom.

    Bill "and no, sarcams ain't no typo" S.

    > The followups to this message are set to rec.bicycles.misc, a group
    > that I rarely visit but seems most appropriate for this discussion.

    What a maroon...

  15. > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >> Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    >> far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    >> comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    >> over yet or kicked me out. =)
    >>
    >> Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    >> wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    >> for the heck of it! Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    >> warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    >> all...). =D
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    >> manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    >> Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    >> indirect heat might damage the helmet.
    >>
    >> Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????
    >>
    >> Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    >> aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    >> the styrofoam's molecular structure??? (Materials Science is such an
    >> interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    >> Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    >> come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    >> then manipulating subatomic physics!)
    >>
    >> I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...but this Giro Roc Loc
    >> 4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now. Just funny to think
    >> that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    >> direct sunlight!
    >>

    > Well UV rays damage lots of things, the most important being your skin plus
    > rubber, plastics and painted surfaces, just to name a few. So it sounds
    > logical that the foam in your $100 plus helmet might be damaged by those
    > blasted UV rays also.
    >
    > Ken

    The UV rays will not reach the foam inside your helmet.....

    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu

  16. On Mon, 08 May 2006 06:15:09 -0700, NYC XYZ wrote:

    > Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    > manuals with his cereal??

    You're supposed to read the cereal box.

    > Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    > aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    > the styrofoam's molecular structure???

    The helmet manufacturers would love you to think that. For me, it's so
    hard to get one that fits that I wear it until the straps decompose.
    Which, last time, was only a couple years.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
    _`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
    (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  17. > Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    > manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    > Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    > indirect heat might damage the helmet.
    >
    > Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????

    No. What it means is that it may, in fact, "melt" if left in your car with
    the windows rolled up. This does happen; car interiors can get incredibly
    hot under certain conditions. Worse things happen than melted helmets inside
    cars. Giro, and probably most other helmet manufacturers, get a lot of
    claims (warranty demands) for helmets that were subject to such heat. The
    materials used in a helmet are chosen for suitability in the environment
    they're normally used.

    But it absolutely, positively will not be rendered useless by riding in
    normal conditions. If you were doing a tour on Mercury or Venus? Yeah, it
    would probably melt. Don't do that.

    As for warnings that the helmet is useless for any and all purposes, those
    are standard disclaimers found on many safety products, meant to deflect
    lawyers who would argue the absurd notion that the helmet should have been
    able to protect in virtually any foreseeable circumstance; thus, helmets are
    marketed as much as a fashion item as they are anything having to do with
    protecting your skull. Don't blame the helmet companies for that one; in
    general, the easiest way to be a target is to manufacture something,
    anything, and claim it will make you safer.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    > far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    > comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    > over yet or kicked me out. =)
    >
    > Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    > wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    > for the heck of it! Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    > warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    > all...). =D
    >
    > Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    > manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    > Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    > indirect heat might damage the helmet.
    >
    > Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????
    >
    > Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    > aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    > the styrofoam's molecular structure??? (Materials Science is such an
    > interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    > Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    > come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    > then manipulating subatomic physics!)
    >
    > I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...but this Giro Roc Loc
    > 4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now. Just funny to think
    > that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    > direct sunlight!

  18. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 8 May 2006 06:15:09 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Okay, so I got a nice new helmet for club rides and such. Luckily, so
    >far, no one's been a Helmet Nazi about it -- just mild chiding
    >comments, but I just smile and keep pedalling and no one's pulled me
    >over yet or kicked me out. =)

    <mode="snarky">

    Shouldn't that be <=) now? No, wait, it's a Giro, make it {=)

    >Thing is, I actually like this helmet. It's so comfortable I not only
    >wouldn't mind wearing it if I had to, but I almost want to wear it just
    >for the heck of it!

    Mantra: This will not prevent STDs.

    Oh, wait, it will prevent the *cause* of STDs. Unless she's...no,
    let's not go there.

    >Maybe in winter-time I will, for a bit of head
    >warmth (which I really don't need, but it's a $100 helmet, after
    >all...). =D

    Damn, that's more than I've paid for every bike helmet I've ever had,
    altogether.

    >Anyway, I'm reading the manual -- am I the only guy who likes reading
    >manuals with his cereal?? -- and I notice in Giro's one-size-fits-all
    >Owner's Manual that they explictly state *twice* that direct or
    >indirect heat might damage the helmet.

    Giro is reportedly owned by Bell. Such exactness is therefore
    expected. Or else, obviously, the only safe way to store or use the
    helmet is in the absence of heat, i.e. at 0 K, which would necessitate
    that the wearer would need to be similarly cool-headed. Perhaps this
    could afford us the opportunity to investigate Niven's postulate that
    the brain might become a superconductor at that temp. Inquiring minds
    want to know!

    >Could that mean that the summer sun's going to damage the helmet????

    If you're in the habit or parking under magnifying glasses, quite
    possibly.

    >Are we supposed to replace our helmets every year or two, even if they
    >aren't banged up, simply due to, I dunno, UV-induced deterioration of
    >the styrofoam's molecular structure???

    This message brought to you by the marketing department of the Sirius
    Cybernetics Corporation.

    >(Materials Science is such an
    >interesting field...they're building the world's biggest Neutron
    >Smasher or whatever-it's-called down in TN or somewhere...they hope to
    >come up with all kinds of exotic materials due to understanding and
    >then manipulating subatomic physics!)

    Sigh.

    >I still hope no one forces me to wear a helemt...

    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    I Will Refrain From Saying "Or A Helmet, Either."
    Really, I will. I promise.

    >but this Giro Roc Loc
    >4 is so comfy I would hardly mind wearing one now.

    I -do not- want to know what you were doing when you wrote that. In
    fact, I am reasonably certain that I actively want to -not know- what
    you were doing, and have a strong interest in failing to investigate
    whether that is an accurate perception.

    >Just funny to think
    >that it might not do any good anyway due to prolonged exposure to
    >direct sunlight!

    Oh, the opportunities.

    </mode> (regrettably, I am unable to find an example of a "rolling
    the eyes and shaking the head" smiley.)

    Remember: The important part of the helmet is the part on your head,
    not the box or the propaganda.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  19. dvt

    dvt Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > dvt wrote:
    >> From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:
    >>
    >> /Don't excessively cross-post/
    >>
    >> * Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one group
    >> at a time, in the same post.

    >> * If a message /truly belongs/ in multiple groups, by all means
    >> cross-post. In fact it is /better/ to cross-post than to post the same
    >> message separately to different groups. {italics added}

    > HELLO?!? Which of the groups above are inappropriate???

    r.b.marketplace.

    > While I'm 92.3% sure the OP was a troll, it WAS on topic for the groups in
    > which it was...cast.

    No, it was not on topic. See above. And thanks for snipping the other,
    more pertinent parts of my post.

    > By posting your holier-than-thou admonition to just ONE group, people in the
    > others were deprived of your much-needed {netcop sarcams mode} wisdom.

    > What a maroon...

    Thanks, Bill.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  20. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    We had joy, we had fun, we wore helmets in the sun,
    But the pedals we could reach wouldn't take us to the beach.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.