Canti Brake Pad w/ Linear Pull Brake

Reid

Guest
I have a great deal of space between rim and pad on a commuter bike with
linear pull brakes. I would like to put some Kool Stop Eagle II pads on
the brake. Clearance won't be an issue, though the KS pads are much
thicker than the Cane Creek pads. Are there any other issues I should
think about? Thanks.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:44:28 -0700, Reid <[email protected]> may have
said:

>I have a great deal of space between rim and pad on a commuter bike with
>linear pull brakes. I would like to put some Kool Stop Eagle II pads on
>the brake. Clearance won't be an issue, though the KS pads are much
>thicker than the Cane Creek pads. Are there any other issues I should
>think about? Thanks.

As long as they fit, mount 'em up and ride.

On Apr 12, 7:44 pm, Reid <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a great deal of space between rim and pad on a commuter bike with
> linear pull brakes.  I would like to put some Kool Stop Eagle II pads on
> the brake.  Clearance won't be an issue, though the KS pads are much
> thicker than the Cane Creek pads.  Are there any other issues I should
> think about?  Thanks.

Great classic pads. Last forever on the road. Only drawback I can
think of is that I don't remember if the threaded version's hardware
allows for toe-in adjustment. It might, or you may just need to
recycle the rounded washers from your old pads.

On Apr 13, 8:54 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 7:44 pm, Reid <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a great deal of space between rim and pad on a commuter bike with
> > linear pull brakes. I would like to put some Kool Stop Eagle II pads on
> > the brake. Clearance won't be an issue, though the KS pads are much
> > thicker than the Cane Creek pads. Are there any other issues I should
> > think about? Thanks.

> Great classic pads. Last forever on the road. Only drawback I can
> think of is that I don't remember if the threaded version's hardware
> allows for toe-in adjustment. It might, or you may just need to
> recycle the rounded washers from your old pads.

They do allow for toe-in just not as much. They're just _slightly_
rounded. If you reuse most other rounded washers, they'll be too thick.

In article <[email protected]>,
Reid <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a great deal of space between rim and pad on a commuter bike with
> linear pull brakes. I would like to put some Kool Stop Eagle II pads on
> the brake. Clearance won't be an issue, though the KS pads are much
> thicker than the Cane Creek pads. Are there any other issues I should
> think about? Thanks.

I have Paul Neo Retro brakes that came with the black-compound Koolstop
"Thinline" pads; they are similar in thickness to the Cane Creek pads.
When I switched to Salmon pads, I specifically got the much thicker
"Eagle 2" pads with the threaded post. These thicker pads fit fine when
used with the rounded washers from the "Thinline" pads, if the thinner
washer pair is used on the inner side; you'll need to remove all the
washers that come with the "Eagle 2".

As a bonus for weight weenies, the nuts that are included with the
"Eagle 2" threaded pads are made of aluminium.