cantilever brake chatter

Limbatus

Jul 12, 2010
Hello everybody,
I'm new to cyclingforums, as well as a new cyclist. I have been riding my bicycle to work recently, and I love the commute. It is about 5 and a half miles downhill mostly along country roads. the last part of my ride takes me down a very steep hill into the heart of town. There is consistently a lot of traffic along this road, and I ride pretty fast to keep up with the flow of cars.
I'm finding that I have some problems with my cantielever brakes. I get a ton of brake chatter when I try stopping at a couple of intersections along the way. I have learned to pulse the brakes to alleviate some of this vibration, but the loss of control makes me slightly nervous, and i'm also dissatisfied about the increased stopping distance. How do you resolve this problem; are the brakes in need of tuning, or have my wheels become eccentric? I need to be able to stop on a dime in case of emergency. My first concern with my ride to work is being safe. thanks in advance - limbatus

The forums have been a little slow since the transition, so I'll start a thread to get things moving.

Riis has officially let Fabian off his contract, so he's free to go where he likes. Where do you think he'll end up?

I reckon BMC. Apparently Team Sky and the Virgin team is interested in him, I doubt he would choose either of them over BMC.

Originally Posted by steve .

I reckon BMC. Apparently Team Sky and the Virgin team is interested in him, I doubt he would choose either of them over BMC.
Why would he wanted to go to Team Fail (aka Team Sky)? BMC - they really don't have anything big to offer. Sure there's Cadel but he'll not win a Grand Tour and isn't as strong as Fabian in the classics. I could see him either going to the latest incarnation of reynolds, banesto, caise despicable or Radio Shack. I think he's learned how valuable a good DS is and those two teams have one...

Team 'we don't have a pro tour license - or any license to speak of yet' Luxemburger with the Shreks is an option but do they have the money required, not just for Fabians contract but for the required Pro Tour "bank roll" that needs to be sitting in the bank for UCI approval?

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Why would he wanted to go to Team Fail (aka Team Sky)? BMC - they really don't have anything big to offer. Sure there's Cadel but he'll not win a Grand Tour and isn't as strong as Fabian in the classics. I could see him either going to the latest incarnation of reynolds, banesto, caise despicable or Radio Shack. I think he's learned how valuable a good DS is and those two teams have one...
Sky did have a shocker of a year. BMC would have the money, they would be best to drop Cadel and hire some riders to support Spartacus. I hadn't considered RS, my feeling is there are much better options than RS.

I thought he still had a year left on his currnet contract. Why would a Team owner let someone who is as good as Fabin Cancellara is go ?.

Quote: “I would say that Fabian and I have made an agreement that he can be released from his contract. This means that he is not looking at our team for next year,” Riis said in an interview on TV 2 SportenSaturday afternoon.

Maybe contracts are meaningless in pro cycling?

Originally Posted by steve .

Sky did have a shocker of a year. BMC would have the money, they would be best to drop Cadel and hire some riders to support Spartacus. I hadn't considered RS, my feeling is there are much better options than RS.

There's quite a bit of really good young talent at RS... Not having a potential Tour winner on the roster right now could make them reconsider running after some classics...

Seemed like things turned pretty sour, pretty quickly at Saxo over the past few weeks. Schleck getting booted because he boozed it up and Spartacus up and leaving the Vuelta without much explanation seemed to **** a few people off, especially Bradley McGee.

I would agree with Steve that BMC seems like the front runner in acquiring FC out of the other teams mentioned. However, I don't think it would be a slam dunk for BMC. Apparently he is being wooed by Pegasus Racing, who are trying to get a Pro Tour license, and are willing to pay top dollar. Team Sky and the Luxembourg team are in the mix as well. I'm sure there will be other teams trying to contact him.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/chase-steps-up-after-cancellara-quits-tour-20100919-15hxt.html

Why would he wanted to go to Team Fail (aka Team Sky)?

I didn't realise just how bad sky's season has been, they're ranked 15th! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Now what if Fabian went over to the Schlecks new team? Anyone thought of that possibility? Than you have tour and classics winners and they already have experience together and can build from that.

Team Oh No!! or Team Britney Spears: Team Oops I did it Again!! :)

Quote:

There's quite a bit of really good young talent at RS... Not having a potential Tour winner on the roster right now could make them reconsider running after some classics...

I don't think it will happen, but I also don't think RS would be a bad fit. Other than Brajkovic there isn't anyone on the team that I could see on a podium in a GT in 2011; he [Brajkovic] could place high, although a podium position might be a stretch - maybe the vuelta. RS has strong riders and I could see them doing well in classics and short stage races if that is their focus. If RS changes its season ambitions than I think FC would have a fine season. Then again he will probably have a good season regardless of where he goes.

i'd also have to figure fabu will wander over to bmc. more interesting to me would be what precipitated this falling out. fabu feeling slighted with contador's signing and taking that much of the spotlight off him?

2.5 million dollar offer from BMC but I stll hear he is going with the Schlecks . Jens Voigt , Stuart O'Grady are already hired. Linus Gerdemann, Fabian Wegmann and Dominic Klemme, 3 other Germans, look to sign there too.
Pretty strong team.

curse you, jhuskey and your reliable sources! perhaps, next time you shan't be so lucky and my unfounded and highly unlikely rumours will win the day!