cantilever brake problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matty Messinger, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. I just got an older mountain bike that needed new brakes.
    It seems that the rear posts (the braze ons) are slightly larger than
    standard. They are large than the posts for the front fork and all
    the brakes that I have tried.

    I don't have a lot of experience with this, but this seemed odd. Are
    there different brakes that require (or allow) a larger post?

    Thanks,

  2. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    If you measure them, how different is the diameter?
    I've seen ones that are very slightly out of spec, as in a couple of
    hundreths of a mm. Different brake sleeves are machined slightly
    differently as well, the same for a lot of parts like this, such as
    headsets, etc.
    I've fixed the above problem with slight difference with a couple of swipes
    using some emery paper.

    -pete

    news:[email protected]

  3. Matty Messinger wrote:

    > I just got an older mountain bike that needed new brakes.
    > It seems that the rear posts (the braze ons) are slightly larger than
    > standard. They are large than the posts for the front fork and all
    > the brakes that I have tried.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of experience with this, but this seemed odd. Are
    > there different brakes that require (or allow) a larger post?

    Are the posts above or below the rim? In the late '80s there was a fad
    for "U-brakes" which mounted outside the rim, and I believe they used a
    thicker post as well.

    You can still get U brakes, they remain popular for BMX Freestyle.

    Sheldon "Ancient History" Brown
    | People are more violently opposed to fur than leather |
    | Becaue it’s safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Matty Messinger wrote:

    > I just got an older mountain bike that needed new brakes.
    > It seems that the rear posts (the braze ons) are slightly larger than
    > standard. They are large than the posts for the front fork and all
    > the brakes that I have tried.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of experience with this, but this seemed odd. Are
    > there different brakes that require (or allow) a larger post?
    >
    > Thanks,

    If this is a frame with 9mm U-brake posts you could probably fit Magura
    hydraulic brakes (adapters upside down) with a coupla strokes of a file.
    (now isn't that a nice excuse ;))

    OTOH it is quite common to find cantiposts where the ends are slightly
    mushroomed. These can be filed back to fit
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Matty Messinger wrote:

    > I just got an older mountain bike that needed new brakes.
    > It seems that the rear posts (the braze ons) are slightly larger than
    > standard. They are large than the posts for the front fork and all
    > the brakes that I have tried.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of experience with this, but this seemed odd. Are
    > there different brakes that require (or allow) a larger post?

    Are they above the rim? That's a mount for a UBrake or an
    ABrake

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Matty Messinger wrote:

    > I just got an older mountain bike that needed new brakes.
    > It seems that the rear posts (the braze ons) are slightly larger than
    > standard. They are large than the posts for the front fork and all
    > the brakes that I have tried.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of experience with this, but this seemed odd. Are
    > there different brakes that require (or allow) a larger post?

    Are the posts above or below the rim? In the late '80s there was a fad
    for "U-brakes" which mounted outside the rim, and I believe they used a
    thicker post as well.

    You can still get U brakes, they remain popular for BMX Freestyle.

    Sheldon "Ancient History" Brown
    | People are more violently opposed to fur than leather |
    | Becaue it’s safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

    Another telltale location; U-brakes are typically located on the chainstay,
    instead of the canti's seatstay mounting point.

    David