cantilever brake stops

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Panda, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Panda

    Panda Guest

    this may be a stupid question, but am i right to say that in order for cantilever brakes to be
    fitted there needs to be a stop for the outer cable to push against?

    do mini-v-brakes work with drop levers?

    many thanks

    panda

    Tags:

  2. Whitfit

    Whitfit Guest

    "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > this may be a stupid question, but am i right to say that in order for cantilever brakes to be
    > fitted there needs to be a stop for the outer cable to push against?

    Yes. Absolutely.

    > do mini-v-brakes work with drop levers?

    I think yes, but better wait for someone who has tried it to respond.

    > many thanks
    >
    > panda

    Whitfit

  3. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    panda at [email protected] wrote on 4/22/03 2:34 AM:
    > this may be a stupid question, but am i right to say that in order for cantilever brakes to be
    > fitted there needs to be a stop for the outer cable to push against?

    Yessir.

    > do mini-v-brakes work with drop levers?

    Which drop levers? Basically, you'll have to pull more cable than the levers do - Travel Agents and
    their ilk are popular.

    Here's a good basics article from Sheldon: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem-brakes.html#levers

    If the problem is that you lack the cable stops, that is an easily and cheaply addressed
    issue. There are all kinds of front and rear stops that attach - should be easily available
    through your LBS.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > this may be a stupid question, but am i right to say that in order for cantilever brakes to be
    > fitted there needs to be a stop for the outer
    cable
    > to push against?
    >
    > do mini-v-brakes work with drop levers?

    Yes, that's correct, you need a casing stop.

    There are a few stops available which bolt to a shock fork bridge ( but not all forks can use these
    and not all stops fit every fork with a hole in it).

    Yes, Mini-V are designed expressly for road levers. They do share some linear brake foibles like
    very close clearances at setup.