Cantilever brakes and Shimano STI

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jonathan Kaplan, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Is there any problem using STI brake/shifter combos with Cantilever brakes? I know that I could not
    use V brakes without an adapter or the Diacomp V287 lever.

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Is there any problem using STI brake/shifter combos with Cantilever
    brakes?
    > I know that I could not use V brakes without an adapter or the Diacomp
    V287
    > lever.

    Nope. That's what they were designed for (well, sorta).

    Mike

  3. insure-<< Is there any problem using STI brake/shifter combos with Cantilever brakes? >><BR><BR>

    Generally not but the higher profile the canti, the better. Also a wide straddle carrier
    always helps...

  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > the higher profile the canti, the better. Also a wide straddle carrier always helps...

    what is a 'high profile' canti?

    and does a wide straddle carrier help with wheel removal? the only problem i have with my cantis is
    that i cant get the caliper QR disengaged without unscrewing the barrel adjuster a few turns. which
    isn't so quick.

    anthony

  5. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is there any problem using STI brake/shifter combos with Cantilever brakes? I know that I could
    > not use V brakes without an adapter or the Diacomp V287 lever.

    Aren't this setup very common? The X-cross bikes all use this set up.