Cantilever to V-brakes...what's involved

Meek One

May 5, 2004
My father has a beautiful old school Schwinn Series 90 PDG (purple-ish color MTB) that needs some TLC. First thing would be to upgrade brakes to V-style. Is this as simple as buying a pair of V Brake calipers? Thank you.

Sorry, just noticed the Mountain Bike forum. Will repost there...

Meek One said:
My father has a beautiful old school Schwinn Series 90 PDG (purple-ish color MTB) that needs some TLC. First thing would be to upgrade brakes to V-style. Is this as simple as buying a pair of V Brake calipers? Thank you.

Ya also need levers with the proper pull or a 'travel agent' adapter.

Meek One said:

buy some v-brakes, v-brake compatible levers, new cables and stick them on the bike. It isn't that hard.

Rideastrong said:
buy some v-brakes, v-brake compatible levers, new cables and stick them on the bike. It isn't that hard.
Shimano EF-29 and EF-35 shifter/lever sets come in 7 and 8 speed rear with triple fronts. Tektro, Promax, Shimano, all make good cheap V brakes.