Canty setup Q (avid shorty 6)

Anton S.

Guest
I'm trying to get my shorty 6's set up on my cross bike for optimum braking power and seem to have
some problems. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could help me out with this...

To get more braking power do you want the cantilevers as far away from the rim as possible (by
placing the spacers on the inside of where the pads attach to the cantilever)? Or the other
way around.

The shorties came with a short wire bridge thing, and a longer one, if I can get it to work with
both, which one will theoretically give me more stopping power?

Not sure if this is even going to make sense to anyone, but if you read it thanks for your time...

Anton.

Anton S. wrote:
> I'm trying to get my shorty 6's set up on my cross bike for optimum braking power and seem to have
> some problems. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could help me out with this...
>
> To get more braking power do you want the cantilevers as far away from the rim as possible (by
> placing the spacers on the inside of where the pads attach to the cantilever)? Or the other
> way around.
>
> The shorties came with a short wire bridge thing, and a longer one, if I can get it to work with
> both, which one will theoretically give me more stopping power?
>
> Not sure if this is even going to make sense to anyone, but if you read it thanks for your time...

I have an exhaustive treatise on this at: http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

and a more practical how-to guide at: http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html

Sheldon "Countervailer Brakes" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| One measurement is worth 50 expert opinions | --Howard Sutherland |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

"Anton S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to get my shorty 6's set up on my cross bike for optimum braking power and seem to have
> some problems. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge could help me out with this...
>
> To get more braking power do you want the cantilevers as far away from the rim as possible (by
> placing the spacers on the inside of where the pads attach to the cantilever)? Or the other
> way around.
>
> The shorties came with a short wire bridge thing, and a longer one, if I can get it to work with
> both, which one will theoretically give me more stopping power?
>
> Not sure if this is even going to make sense to anyone, but if you read it thanks for your time...

The spacers allow you to adjust for the framebuilder's placement of the brake bosses. Some are
farther apart than others.