Cape Argus 2006

neilHH

Feb 6, 2006
Anyone experienced enough to help an novice riding the Cape Argus 2006? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
Thanks

neilHH said:
Anyone experienced enough to help an novice riding the Cape Argus 2006? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
Thanks

The race is not as steep as it used to be. A 12/25 cassette will be fine dependant on fitness and ability obviously. You will have to be honest with yourself as to whether you require more gears or not!

Check out http://www.cycletour.co.za/ for route profiles etc but the climbs/hills shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks. I'm aiming for a sub 3:30 so it seems as if my existing setup should be OK given that I'm OK fitness -wise! (or at least I hope so....)

neilHH said:
Thanks. I'm aiming for a sub 3:30 so it seems as if my existing setup should be OK given that I'm OK fitness -wise! (or at least I hope so....)

give em hell!! you'll be fun just be aware for the first 20km as average joe often tries to take the buch down... nerves Vs excitment i guess...

good luck

I have done it three times and it is quite tough. The main problem is that you get a nasty hill about 15km from the end and that is when you've already done quite a few of them. Just take it easy until you reach Chapman's Peak. There you can get into a nice rythm and after that you get Suikerbossie (translated = Sugerbush) After that it's downhil towards the end.