Cape Argus 2006

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by neilHH, Feb 6, 2006.

1. neilHH

neilHH New Member

Anyone experienced enough to help an novice riding the Cape Argus 2006? I'm wondering if a "standard" 12/25 rear cassette is sufficient for this race? Not too sure how steep the hills are!
    Thanks

Tags:

2. bomber

bomber New Member

The race is not as steep as it used to be. A 12/25 cassette will be fine dependant on fitness and ability obviously. You will have to be honest with yourself as to whether you require more gears or not!

Check out http://www.cycletour.co.za/ for route profiles etc but the climbs/hills shouldnt be a problem.

3. neilHH

neilHH New Member

Thanks. I'm aiming for a sub 3:30 so it seems as if my existing setup should be OK given that I'm OK fitness -wise! (or at least I hope so....)

4. bomber

bomber New Member

give em hell!! you'll be fun just be aware for the first 20km as average joe often tries to take the buch down... nerves Vs excitment i guess...

good luck

5. Mampara

Mampara New Member

I have done it three times and it is quite tough. The main problem is that you get a nasty hill about 15km from the end and that is when you've already done quite a few of them. Just take it easy until you reach Chapman's Peak. There you can get into a nice rythm and after that you get Suikerbossie (translated = Sugerbush) After that it's downhil towards the end.