Cape Argus Cycle Tour

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
Yip, the 2002 Argus is just around the corner. If you entered and have'nt started training yet, I have nothing to say to you but "good luck, you're going to need it!"
Believe it or not, but I used the 94.7 as a hard training ride in preperation for the Argus. Many cyclists saw the 94.7 as an end to the season ride, and I know a few riders that have'nt touched their bikes since. To me, the 94.7 was the start of my training for the Argus, and my bike has'nt been resting for more than two days at a time since then.
I've been doing alot of base rides - long rides where I try and keep my heart rate between 60-80% of MHR. Sometimes during my rides I see a cyclist in the distance or ahead of me on a climb, and my killer instinct takes over. I throw my whole training programme (for that day) over-board, just to catch the cyclist ahead! I think most cyclists suffer from "seek and destroy" syndrome?
For me, it's target specific and interval training from now on, mixed with base training and races in between.

Well for about a month after th 94.7 I did not touch my bike due to various reasons one of wich was a problem back.

Got back on the bike last week and am feeling great. I've ridden every day (except friday - was raining). I'm actually preparing for the Hyper to Hyper and after that will go into hill training for the Argus. Still need to change my front wheel bearings though.

Although I'm doing almost 50k's a day (30 in the morning + 20 at night) and really starting to feel good, I'm taking a 48hr break. This morning I went out and just could'nt get my legs going. I was'nt feeling tired, just heavy.
Hows the rest of you guys training going?

Well,
The old problem with a husband and wife team. I got "fitter" and "stronger" quicker than she did!!!! What to do now???? I took the bull by the horns and bought a tandem. We have done about 950km on the bike and it works!!!! We did our first race on Saturday, a 62 km race in Bronkhorstspruit in Gauteng Province. What a pleasure, we worked real hard, threw our front chainring two times and stil managed a time of 30,9 km/ hour. We both entered for the Argus but I have since changed our entry to a tandem entry and we aim to do a sub 4 hour Argus.

Keep those wheels spinning !!!!!

;) I also have not stopped since the 94.7. The previous year, I did nothing from 94.7 in November, until January. Then I put in serious training for my first Argus. This time around, after 94.7, I've kept on the bike, and have ridden everyday except Xmas Day & New Year's Day. Last week intensity was increased, and I started feeling it in the legs as well. Did my first long race on Saturday, and feel that Hyper to Hyper will be here too soon! I'm not too troubled though, because even though I want to do good times on all the local rides, the target is Argus, so these other races are seen with a view to improve fitness and have mileage on the legs. Here goes to another week of training. Oh, by the way, today is :
R E S T D A Y ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

After a weekend layoff, it's back on the bike for me today. Also starting with a 'nutrition plan' as from today.

These are the races that I have decided on as build-up towards the Argus:

• 20 Jan: Hyper 2 Hyper - 100k
  • 26 Jan: Berge en Dale - 111k
  • 10 Feb: Edenvale Challenge - 92k
  • 16 Feb: Kormorant Festival - 107K
  • 17 Feb: Germiston Century 100k
  • 23 Feb: NECSA - 95k
  • 2 March: Falcon Autumn Ride 97k

Thats a good collection of long races in a short time period

;) I also have not stopped since the 94.7.  The previous year, I did nothing from 94.7 in November, until January.  Then I put in serious training for my first Argus.  This time around, after 94.7, I've kept on the bike, and have ridden everyday except Xmas Day & New Year's Day.  Last week intensity was increased, and I started feeling it in the legs as well.  Did my first long race on Saturday, and feel that Hyper to Hyper will be here too soon!  I'm not too troubled though, because even though I want to do good times on all the local rides, the target is Argus, so these other races are seen with a view to improve fitness and have mileage on the legs.  Here goes to another week of training.  Oh, by the way, today is :
R E S T   D A Y    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

Elsa you dont by any chance work in the Woodmead area do you ?

VO2 - I'm doing pretty much the same races as you've listed, except the Kormorant Race, the day before the Germiston Century. You have a (?) for 2 March - yep, I'm not aware of any races in the Greater JHB area on that day - week before Argus, however there is one in the Vaal:

Name: Falcon Autumn Ride
Place: **** Fourie Stadium, Three Rivers
Distance: 96/46/12
Contact No: 016-429-1994

Depends what area you're in, the local clubs / cycling shops might have more info. on other races.

Ouzo - nope, I don't live or work anywhere near Woodmead, why, got me confused with someone else?

Cool, thanks Elsa. I live about 30k from Three Rivers 8)
I've updated.