Cape May, NJ

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Bikerider7, May 20, 2003.

  1. Bikerider7

    Bikerider7 Guest

    I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing my
    bike -- are there any interesting road biking routes in that area worth doing?

    Tags:

  2. Billcotton

    Billcotton Guest

    http://www.billcotton.com/Bill%20cotton%20cue%20sheets.htm The above page is a cue from Philadelphia
    to Cape May that I used for my ride there. The canals into Cape May both have heavy traffic. Once in
    Cape May you can ride out to the point and through the city on good roads. There are many back roads
    going north and west from Cape May also. http://www.shorecycleclub.org/ This is the web page for The
    local club.
    --
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

    "bikerider7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing
    > my bike -- are there any interesting road biking routes in that area worth doing?

  3. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    (bikerider7) writes:

    >I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing
    >my bike -- are there any interesting road biking routes in that area worth doing?

    I've been there but not spent a lot of time there. I've lived in Ocean City, NJ and so I can make
    some general comments.

    The last time I was in Cape May the traffic was very heavy and the bicyclers were moving a lot
    faster than the cars :) I would get a good map of the area and look for secondary roads away from
    the cape it self, these are often lightly traveled and in good repair. I would also consider taking
    the ferry to Lewis, DE for rides in that area, but only after having a good look at a map. The only
    hills will be bridge access ramps.

    A caution: draw bridges have grates for road beds and could swallow a wheel.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    My mother lives in Cape May so I spend a lot of time there in the summer months. I do not go to
    visit with out my bike. Biking in town is conjested with cars pedestrians and bikes, but there is a
    lot to see. The walkway along the beach is open to bikes until 10:00am.

    Outside of the town there are many good biking roads espicially to the west. These are all flat and
    lead through farm land. I love riding in the Cape May area - Have fun!!

    "bikerider7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing
    > my bike -- are there any interesting road biking routes in that area worth doing?

  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    My mother lives in Cape May so I spend a lot of time there in the summer months. I do not go to
    visit with out my bike. Biking in town is conjested with cars pedestrians and bikes, but there is a
    lot to see. The walkway along the beach is open to bikes until 10:00am.

    Outside of the town there are many good biking roads espicially to the west. These are all flat and
    lead through farm land. I love riding in the Cape May area - Have fun!!

    "bikerider7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing
    > my bike -- are there any interesting road biking routes in that area worth doing?

  6. Dstra999

    Dstra999 Guest

    >I'll be staying at a beach town on the south tip of NJ for a few days. I was thinking of bringing
    >my bike -- are there any interesting road biking

    check out NJ state Coastal Heritage Trail. This is a backroad bicycle route that runs from Cape May
    north past Atlantic City(i think) and west to Pennsville(i know). I have ridden from Pennsville to
    Bridgeton and found it to be a very pleasant ride. Good luck

  7. Frank