Capital Crescent Trail - Snow Status

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Harry, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    I tried commuting home on the Capital Crescent trail last night from Georgetown, D.C. to Bethesda,
    MD. The trail is clear and dry to the tunnel under MacArthur Blvd., but then 2-4 inches of thick
    slush from that point on; pretty much impassable, even with knobbies. (At least for my skill level.)

    I'll give it another try on Monday 3/10. If anyone finds it clear before then, let us know.

    Harry

    Tags:

  2. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    by Sunday it will all be gone.

    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/DCZ001.php?warnzone=dcz001&warncounty=dcc001

    Harry wrote:

    >I tried commuting home on the Capital Crescent trail last night from Georgetown, D.C. to
    >Bethesda, MD. The trail is clear and dry to the tunnel under MacArthur Blvd., but then 2-4 inches
    >of thick slush from that point on; pretty much impassable, even with knobbies. (At least for my
    >skill level.)
    >
    >I'll give it another try on Monday 3/10. If anyone finds it clear before then, let us know.
    >
    >Harry

  3. Harry

    Harry Guest

    As of Sunday evening, March 5, the trail is clear from Bethesda to Georgetown except for about 500
    feet of heavy granular just east of the 6 mile marker. Given the forecasted temperatures the next
    couple of days, it might be there until Wednesday; but it certainly looks like the worst is over,
    hopefully for the rest of the season.