Capital crescent trail

scorch

Sep 25, 2003
Here is a little dilemma. I live int he d.c. metro area. Work in arlington, and if i want to ride my bicycle i have to drive to the trail and park the car and ride on it.

But i really would like to get rid of the middle man(the car). So im wondering what i could do to get down there. Im in burtonville, which is really bad off. No good way of getting downtown, even thou its only 20 miles away. Route 29 has no shoulder, and all the other roads need to cross the beltway at some point. I've tried it, and its just really dangerous. I hear there is a bicycle route being planned, but it wont happen for a long time im sure. Not a priority around here.

So im wondering if i can leave my bicycle locked in bethesda near the trailhead of the cct and ride my motorcycle down there.

Or maybe if there is a easier route to take on a bicycle?

Nah, moving isnt in the cards. :(

A couple of options, in no particular order:

- There are bike lockers at the Bethesda Metro station. I believe there's a waiting list, but you could probably get one eventually.

- The Georgetown Branch trail is viable from downtown Silver Spring to connect to the CCT. But a long ride.

- WABA has good maps. I'm pretty sure there are viable routes from further east to downtown. I think the CCT is further west than your most direct route.

- I've seen a couple of people apparently drop their cars for a while in the parking lot west of the Bethesda pool where the CCT crosses Little Falls Pkwy. But not regularly, I think the cops watch for day parkers and eventually sting them. And I don't think your bike would last too long over-nighting it there.

slcbob1 said:
A couple of options, in no particular order:

- There are bike lockers at the Bethesda Metro station. I believe there's a waiting list, but you could probably get one eventually.

- The Georgetown Branch trail is viable from downtown Silver Spring to connect to the CCT. But a long ride.

- WABA has good maps. I'm pretty sure there are viable routes from further east to downtown. I think the CCT is further west than your most direct route.

- I've seen a couple of people apparently drop their cars for a while in the parking lot west of the Bethesda pool where the CCT crosses Little Falls Pkwy. But not regularly, I think the cops watch for day parkers and eventually sting them. And I don't think your bike would last too long over-nighting it there.

I ran into the bike lockers yesterday, but if there is a waiting list im sure my chances are slim to get one. They apparently cost 70$ a year, which isnt bad.

I like the cct because its a path without cars. I've had many incidents while riding on the street and if i can avoid it i will. Riding around rockcreek on the road is good, but if you try to cycle on most routes using by car commuters then you will find that its pretty difficult.

I would like that route 29 bike path to be built, it would sold my probs.

Im going to look into the locker option

Thanks