Capitol 10K Austin TX

David Forbes

Guest
A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a very
light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners. Usual number of costumes/flag bearers etc. You can see
the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ Being still a long way from being in
competitive shape, I hung back at the start and ran a 7:49 first mile which was a little slower than
I had intended but given the circumstances about right. The course starts with a long gradual climb
up from the river to the Capitol building and then has 2 miles of short steepish ascents and
descents before dropping back down to the river. The last 2.2 miles are pretty flat along the banks
of the river. Splits were: 7:49, 6:49, 6:49, 6:44, 6:45, 6:40, 1:38. My age group (50-54) was won in
35:28 by some young (50 yr old) speedster from Albuquerque NM - the advantage of training at
altitude!! This I believe is a new age group record. 92 year old Sidney Smith finished in 2:17:11.
An 88 yr old man finished in 1:13:32 (11 min/mile
- just a nice LSD pace!!) The better weather this year brought out better runners and faster times.
My third place age group time last year wouldn't have got me into the top ten this year. Oh well,
there is always next year. The weather also brought out some cuties. They seem to get better each
year, or is that just my failing eyesight? I carbo-loaded the night before at the Bitter End (a
micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The strangest sight was the gentleman
holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from finish) saying "Doctors against
Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

"David Forbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> The strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles
> from finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

The relevance, my dear David, is that if he'd been my doctor 49 years ago, my penis would have been
about 12 mm longer, even if it was just flabby foreskin. I would have enjoyed boasting about that,
'cause I'd have been over the mythical six inches.

Roger. <GO! tiny penis Roger, GO!

Roger Hunter wrote:

> "David Forbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > The strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles
> > from finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??
>
> The relevance, my dear David, is that if he'd been my doctor 49 years ago, my penis would have
> been about 12 mm longer, even if it was just flabby foreskin. I would have enjoyed boasting about
> that, 'cause I'd have been over the mythical six inches.
>
> Roger. <GO! tiny penis Roger, GO!>

It would have been more useful if he had been at the Expo. Hanging about on a street corner with a
pretty uninformative sign in front of a bunch of sweaty runners/joggers/walkers seemed pretty
pointless. And as you say, for the majority of us he's left it a little late. Now, if he was
protesting against forced circumcision/mutilation of women, then he should have said so.

In article <[email protected]>,
David Forbes <[email protected]> wrote:

> A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a
> very light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
> another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners. Usual number of costumes/flag bearers etc. You can
> see the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ Being still a long way from being in
> competitive shape, I hung back at the start and ran a 7:49 first mile which was a little slower
> than I had intended but given the circumstances about right. The course starts with a long gradual
> climb up from the river to the Capitol building and then has 2 miles of short steepish ascents and
> descents before dropping back down to the river. The last 2.2 miles are pretty flat along the
> banks of the river. Splits were: 7:49, 6:49, 6:49, 6:44, 6:45, 6:40, 1:38. My age group (50-54)
> was won in 35:28 by some young (50 yr old) speedster from Albuquerque NM - the advantage of
> training at altitude!! This I believe is a new age group record. 92 year old Sidney Smith finished
> in 2:17:11. An 88 yr old man finished in 1:13:32 (11 min/mile
> - just a nice LSD pace!!) The better weather this year brought out better runners and faster
> times. My third place age group time last year wouldn't have got me into the top ten this year.
> Oh well, there is always next year. The weather also brought out some cuties. They seem to get
> better each year, or is that just my failing eyesight? I carbo-loaded the night before at the
> Bitter End (a micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The strangest sight
> was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from finish) saying
> "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

congrats on the race, David. your first mile may have been a little slow (so you say), but you
rallied to run some impressive negative splits! good to keep something in the gas tank til
near the end.

amazing how those old-timers come out to race.... i hope i'll be doing that at 92. and hey, failing
eyesight or not... enjoy the cuties ;-)

don't worry about that guy with the sign. just worry if you see someone holding a knife!

Cam

In article <[email protected]> David Forbes <[email protected]> writes:
>etc. You can see the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ I carbo-loaded the night
>before at the Bitter End (a micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The
>strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from
>finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision"

Hmmm, I sure can't answer that one!

But Good Job on your race! And good report, too.

Teresa in AZ

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:44:26 -0600, David Forbes wrote:

>A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a very
>light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
>another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners.

[report snipped but appreciated]

Man, it's really good news to get this report! You didn't mention the #1 measure of a successful
race, IMHO, - uninjured so I'll take the Polly-freaking-Anna view <G>. That time is pretty amazing
considered your recovery. Congratulations!

"Cuties?" Oh, yeah, the birds that you have around Austin are very nice - painted buntings and the
like. I agree that they are hard to see without some field glasses. That's my public understanding
of "cuties" and I'm sticking with it.

The activist was a little weird but I like a little surreality in a race. I agree with you that if
he was against forced female circumcision, we'd join him. If he was talking about male circumcision,
was he talking retroactive? Still, all in all, I like it.

Thanks, Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running