Capitol 10K Austin TX

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by David Forbes, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. David Forbes

    David Forbes Guest

    A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a very
    light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
    another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners. Usual number of costumes/flag bearers etc. You can see
    the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ Being still a long way from being in
    competitive shape, I hung back at the start and ran a 7:49 first mile which was a little slower than
    I had intended but given the circumstances about right. The course starts with a long gradual climb
    up from the river to the Capitol building and then has 2 miles of short steepish ascents and
    descents before dropping back down to the river. The last 2.2 miles are pretty flat along the banks
    of the river. Splits were: 7:49, 6:49, 6:49, 6:44, 6:45, 6:40, 1:38. My age group (50-54) was won in
    35:28 by some young (50 yr old) speedster from Albuquerque NM - the advantage of training at
    altitude!! This I believe is a new age group record. 92 year old Sidney Smith finished in 2:17:11.
    An 88 yr old man finished in 1:13:32 (11 min/mile
    - just a nice LSD pace!!) The better weather this year brought out better runners and faster times.
    My third place age group time last year wouldn't have got me into the top ten this year. Oh well,
    there is always next year. The weather also brought out some cuties. They seem to get better each
    year, or is that just my failing eyesight? I carbo-loaded the night before at the Bitter End (a
    micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The strangest sight was the gentleman
    holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from finish) saying "Doctors against
    Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

    Tags:

  2. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "David Forbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles
    > from finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

    The relevance, my dear David, is that if he'd been my doctor 49 years ago, my penis would have been
    about 12 mm longer, even if it was just flabby foreskin. I would have enjoyed boasting about that,
    'cause I'd have been over the mythical six inches.

    Roger. <GO! tiny penis Roger, GO!

  3. David Forbes

    David Forbes Guest

    Roger Hunter wrote:

    > "David Forbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles
    > > from finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??
    >
    > The relevance, my dear David, is that if he'd been my doctor 49 years ago, my penis would have
    > been about 12 mm longer, even if it was just flabby foreskin. I would have enjoyed boasting about
    > that, 'cause I'd have been over the mythical six inches.
    >
    > Roger. <GO! tiny penis Roger, GO!>

    It would have been more useful if he had been at the Expo. Hanging about on a street corner with a
    pretty uninformative sign in front of a bunch of sweaty runners/joggers/walkers seemed pretty
    pointless. And as you say, for the majority of us he's left it a little late. Now, if he was
    protesting against forced circumcision/mutilation of women, then he should have said so.

  4. Cam Wilson

    Cam Wilson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    David Forbes <[email protected]> wrote:

    > A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a
    > very light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
    > another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners. Usual number of costumes/flag bearers etc. You can
    > see the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ Being still a long way from being in
    > competitive shape, I hung back at the start and ran a 7:49 first mile which was a little slower
    > than I had intended but given the circumstances about right. The course starts with a long gradual
    > climb up from the river to the Capitol building and then has 2 miles of short steepish ascents and
    > descents before dropping back down to the river. The last 2.2 miles are pretty flat along the
    > banks of the river. Splits were: 7:49, 6:49, 6:49, 6:44, 6:45, 6:40, 1:38. My age group (50-54)
    > was won in 35:28 by some young (50 yr old) speedster from Albuquerque NM - the advantage of
    > training at altitude!! This I believe is a new age group record. 92 year old Sidney Smith finished
    > in 2:17:11. An 88 yr old man finished in 1:13:32 (11 min/mile
    > - just a nice LSD pace!!) The better weather this year brought out better runners and faster
    > times. My third place age group time last year wouldn't have got me into the top ten this year.
    > Oh well, there is always next year. The weather also brought out some cuties. They seem to get
    > better each year, or is that just my failing eyesight? I carbo-loaded the night before at the
    > Bitter End (a micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The strangest sight
    > was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from finish) saying
    > "Doctors against Circumcision" What the f**k was the relevance of that??

    congrats on the race, David. your first mile may have been a little slow (so you say), but you
    rallied to run some impressive negative splits! good to keep something in the gas tank til
    near the end.

    amazing how those old-timers come out to race.... i hope i'll be doing that at 92. and hey, failing
    eyesight or not... enjoy the cuties ;-)

    don't worry about that guy with the sign. just worry if you see someone holding a knife!

    Cam

  5. In article <[email protected]> David Forbes <[email protected]> writes:
    >etc. You can see the pictures at http://www.austin360.com/aas/cap10k/ I carbo-loaded the night
    >before at the Bitter End (a micro brewery in downtown Austin), and very nice it was too. The
    >strangest sight was the gentleman holding a sign near the 1st Street Bridge (about .5 miles from
    >finish) saying "Doctors against Circumcision"

    Hmmm, I sure can't answer that one!

    But Good Job on your race! And good report, too.

    Teresa in AZ

  6. On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:44:26 -0600, David Forbes wrote:

    >A perfect day for running. Cool (low-mid 30's F at dawn, around 40 at start), clear and with a very
    >light NW breeze. What a contrast to last year. Well organized with about 5K timed runners and
    >another 10K walkers/non-competitive runners.

    [report snipped but appreciated]

    Man, it's really good news to get this report! You didn't mention the #1 measure of a successful
    race, IMHO, - uninjured so I'll take the Polly-freaking-Anna view <G>. That time is pretty amazing
    considered your recovery. Congratulations!

    "Cuties?" Oh, yeah, the birds that you have around Austin are very nice - painted buntings and the
    like. I agree that they are hard to see without some field glasses. That's my public understanding
    of "cuties" and I'm sticking with it.

    The activist was a little weird but I like a little surreality in a race. I agree with you that if
    he was against forced female circumcision, we'd join him. If he was talking about male circumcision,
    was he talking retroactive? Still, all in all, I like it.

    Thanks, Layne

    The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running