Caponata (4) Collection

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by tranch, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. tranch

    tranch Guest

    Caponata
    Caponata
    Eggplant Caponata
    Caponata

    > From: "Isabel" <[email protected]>
    > Subject: Caponata
    > I love this stuff. Gimme a recipe, Please!

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Caponata

    Recipe By :Heidi Rabel
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:50
    Categories :

    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 large yellow onion -- peeled and diced
    2 large carrots -- peeled and diced
    1 large eggplant -- stem removed and cut into 3/4" cubes
    1 cup raw zucchini -- diced
    3 cloves garlic -- chopped
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
    14 1/2 ounces premium diced tomatoes in puree
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup capers
    2 tablespoons caper juice
    1/4 cup Marinated Black Olives -- see recipe
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt -- to taste

    In a 3-quart saucepan over low heat, cook the onion in oil until it is
    translucent (about 6 - 8 minutes). Add carrot and eggplant, and steam,
    covered, for 6 - 8 minutes. Add zucchini, garlic, and herbs, and simmer
    uncovered for 10 more minutes, tossing to blend flavors. Add tomatoes and
    wine, and simmer until all the vegetables are completely cooked (10 - 15
    minutes). Add the other ingredients, mixing thoroughly, and simmer for 15
    -
    20 more minutes to blend flavors and thicken the stew. Transfer to a
    non-reactive bowl, cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp towel, and
    let
    it cool to room temperature.

    Taste and correct seasoning if necessary. It should be flavorful, slightly
    tart, and have just a tiny bite from the red pepper. Refrigerate, tightly
    covered, until ready to serve. It will last a week refrigerated if there
    is
    very little air between the sauce and its lid.

    NOTES : Caponata, the Italian version of French ratatouille, is a thick,
    flavorful vegetable relish or stew that is used as a spread for bread. I
    keep it in my refrigerator throughout the summer, and use it as an hors
    d'oeuvre spread, a sandwich filling, or a relish with cold chicken or
    fish.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Caponata

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    2 pounds eggplant -- cut into 1" cubes
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion -- coarsely chopped
    1 red bell pepper -- diced
    1 yellow bell pepper -- diced
    2 cups celery -- sliced
    1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons capers
    1/2 cup black olives -- chopped
    2 chopped anchovy filets -- optional
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves -- thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

    Place the eggplant cubes in a colander and sprinkle them generously
    with
    salt. Let stand at least 1/2 hour; rinse well under cold water, drain,
    and
    pat dry with paper towels.
    Heat 1/4 cup oil in a deep heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute
    eggplant until tender and almost golden. Remove and set aside. Add the
    garlic and onions and saute until softened. Add celery, tomatoes, peppers,
    and eggplant and cook for approx. 15 minutes uncovered. Combine red wine
    vinegar with sugar and add to vegetable mixture. Simmer, uncovered for
    about
    15 - 20 minutes or until mixture is thick and the flavors are well
    developed - add capers, chopped olives (and anchovies, if using.) Continue
    cooking for a few more minutes. Season the caponata with salt, pepper.
    Stir
    in basil leaves, toasted pine nuts, and parsley. Serve hot, cold or at
    room
    temperature!

    Source:
    "http://www.themestream.com/"

    Serving Ideas : Caponata is delicious as a
    topping for bruschettas or crostinis, or served on toasted pita triangles,
    spread on crusty Italian bread or whole grain crackers, or even, coarsely
    pureed to use as a dip with breadsticks. And, although traditionally,
    caponata is served cold or at room
    temperature,you can serve it hot as a vegetable side dish or as a topping
    on
    grilled rainbow trout. You can even combine it with pasta for a quick
    meal!

    NOTES : Traditionally, caponata is cooled, then refrigerated for 24 hours
    before serving. Caponata also keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a
    week and can be frozen for up to 3 months. I like to freeze smaller
    portions
    to have available for a quick appetizer.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Eggplant Caponata

    Recipe By :The Heart of Sicily
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

    2 pounds eggplant, peeled -- cut into 1" cubes
    salt
    1 large onion -- coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup tomato sauce -- (homemade gravy)
    1/2 cup tomato paste -- thinned with 1/2 cup water
    1 stalk celery -- coarsely chopped
    1 cup green olive -- coarsely chopped
    1/4 cup capers -- rinsed and drained
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    black pepper
    olive oil -- for frying
    hard boiled eggs -- halved, for garnish
    parsley -- chopped, for garnish

    Put the eggplant in a colander, salt and let stand for 1 hour to drain
    while you make the sauce.
    Saute the onion in the olive oil for 2 - 3 minutes, until just golden.
    Add the thinned tomato paste and the tomato sauce. Simmer, uncovered,
    until
    thickened, about 5 - 8 minutes. Add the celery, olives, capers and sugar.
    Stir in the vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 15 - 20
    minutes. Transfer sauce to a large bowl, set aside and cool.
    Heat 1 inch of olive oil in a large saute pan. Dry the eggplant pieces
    and fry them, a batch at a time, until golden. Place on paper towels to
    drain.
    Add the eggplant to the sauce and mix well. Taste for seasoning, then
    let
    cool. Garnish with hardboiled eggs and parsley. Serve at room temperature.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Caponata

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizer Sauteed
    Simmered Vegetable

    1 whole globe eggplant -- diced with peel
    1 onion -- coarsely chopped
    1 medium green bell pepper -- chopped
    Salt -- to taste
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3/4 cup tomato paste
    1/2 cup chopped salad olives
    2 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
    2 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
    Black pepper -- to taste
    1 Dash hot sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons capers (optional)
    4 anchovy fillets -- chopped (optional)

    Saute first 5 ingredients in oil in a large skillet. Add tomato sauce and
    next 5 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring
    frequently. Stir in hot sauce, oregano, and salt and pepper; chill 24
    hours.
    Serve with crackers or thin slices of French bread.

    NOTES : Deviations: Omit green pepper for people who don't care for them.
    It
    has little impact on the recipe and, indeed, may even improve it!

    Additions: Add capers. If large, chop; if small, use whole.

    Original recipe also called for chopped anchovy filets. Again, a matter of
    choice four anchovy filets per quart of caponata doesn't add much power.

    This is a highly flexible recipe that can be manipulated, stretched and
    played with as desired. In Italy, no two people make it exactly alike, so
    feel free to make it work. Many think the real secret is the right blend
    of
    sugar and vinegar (balsamic)...i.e. the sweet and sour combination.

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email protected].
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/