Caps, goggles, bodysuits, and shaving

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Chris, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I noticed that Alexander Popov isn't wearing a swimming cap in Barcelona--and certainly doesn't seem
    to need one to swim fast. And the Russian winner of one of the semifinals in the women's 200
    backstroke isn't wearing goggles. A back to basics movement? I'd like to see a long haired woman
    swim without a cap.

    There seem to be four types of caps being used: (1) silicone seamed caps, which have wrinkles down
    the top of the head, (2) latex wavy edged caps (Australia--can't they afford silcone?), (3) a sort
    of cap that looks like an unseamed silicone thing, with no wrinkles in the center when worn (e.g.,
    Japan), which makes the wearer look bullet-headed, and (4) those fabric (nylon?) caps, worn by some
    of the distance swimmers.

    On another topic, wasn't the supposed reason for shaving that your skin would be more sensitive to
    the subtle feel of the water? Don't bodysuits eliminate that? Or rather, expose it as a load of
    crap? I think the latter; but I think the supposed "advantages" of the "high tech" bodysuits are an
    equal load of pseudo-scientific crap.

    Is there a FINA rule against swimming in the nude?

    Tags:

  2. Steve Curtis

    Steve Curtis Guest

    ...."Is there a FINA rule against swimming in the nude?"

    Don't know if FINA prohibits swimming competition in the nude, but ancient olympians routinely
    competed in the nude in other events.

    Steve Curtis

  3. Jill

    Jill Guest

    [email protected] (Chris) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > There seem to be four types of caps being used: (1) silicone seamed caps, which have wrinkles down
    > the top of the head, (2) latex wavy edged caps (Australia--can't they afford silcone?), (3) a sort
    > of cap that looks like an unseamed silicone thing, with no wrinkles in the center when worn (e.g.,
    > Japan), which makes the wearer look bullet-headed, and (4) those fabric (nylon?) caps, worn by
    > some of the distance swimmers.

    Latex seems to give you the tightest fit among the materials. Lycra stretches out too quickly, and I
    could only see wearing it if you're doing a very long swim in very warm water and worried about
    overheating.

    > Is there a FINA rule against swimming in the nude?

    FINA costume rules:

    http://www.fina.org/generalrules.html#COSTUMES

    GR 6 COSTUMES

    GR 6.1 The costumes of all competitors shall be in good moral taste and suitable for the individual
    sports discipline and not to carry any symbol which may be considered offensive .

    GR 6.2 All costumes shall be non‑transparent.

    GR 6.3 The referee of a competition has the authority to exclude any competitor whose costume does
    not comply with this Rule.

    GR 6.4 Before any swimsuit of new design, construction or material is used in competition, the
    manufacturer of such swimsuit must submit the swimsuit to FINA and obtain approval of FINA.

    GR 6.5 The manufacturers must ensure that the approved new swimsuit will be available for all
    competitors.

  4. David Wilson

    David Wilson Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Curtis) wrote in message

    > ...."Is there a FINA rule against swimming in the nude?"
    >
    > Don't know if FINA prohibits swimming competition in the nude, but ancient olympians routinely
    > competed in the nude in other events.
    >
    > Steve Curtis

    Indeed. The word "gymnasium" derives from the Greek verb "gumnazein", to exercise naked, from
    "gumnos", naked.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gymnasium

  5. Colin Priest

    Colin Priest Guest

    GR 6.1 The costumes of all competitors shall be in good moral taste

    news:[email protected]...