Capsaicin increases endurance capacity and spares tissue glycogen through lipolytic function in swim

awilki01

Sep 20, 2011
Maybe adding hot peppers to every meal will help us a little.....

Abstract The influences of various doses of capsaicin on endurance capacity remain to be clarified. The purpose of this study was to determine whether or not capsaicin delays stored tissue glycogen depletion. Rats were orally given either a vehicle or a dose of capsaicin, 6, 10, or 15 mg/kg of body weight, 2 h before exercise. The rats in each group were divided into three subgroups for resting and swimming exercise (30 min, exhaustion). Swimming exercises were performed with a weight corresponding to 3% body weight attached to the tail, and the endurance capacity was evaluated by the swimming time until exhaustion. The 15 mg/kg dose of capsaicin significantly (p < 0.05) enhanced the endurance performance time and plasma concentration of epinephrine, norepinephrine, free fatty acid and glucose rose to significantly higher levels within 30 min; swimming exercise compared to rest (p < 0.05). At the 15 mg/kg capsaicin dosage. the plasma insulin level decreased to significantly lower levels in group subjected to 30-min swimming as compared to the resting group (p < 0.05), while plasma glucagon rose to a significantly higher level (p < 0.05). Liver and gastrocnemius muscle glycogen in the group subjected to 30-min swimming was maintained at significantly higher concentrations in the rats fed 15 mg/kg of capsaicin as compared to the vehicle counterparts (p < 0.05). These results suggest that the improvement in swimming endurance with the high capsaicin dosage is caused by an increase in fatty acid utilization as the energy source, resulting in the sparing of glycogen.
PMID: 12887156 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12887156

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
Interesting.

I wonder if the stuff is absorbed through the skin. I remember racing in the colder climes on England and we always used to put embrocation on that was fairly toasty - loaded with capsicum - definitely didn't want to get any in your nose or eyes...

... although at least once a year someone either mistakenly used some for chamois cream or someone swapped the labels as a prank and sat back and got ready to laugh.

I doubt I'll be chugging the "Zack Wylde - Stronger than Death" hot sauce pre-ride though... It'd give that a miss as it'd give an alternate meaning to the phrase "blazing saddles"

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Sure it can be absorbed. If you rub it inside your nose, it'll get absorbed and will help clear congestion.

awilki01

Sep 20, 2011
Originally Posted by alienator .

Sure it can be absorbed. If you rub it inside your nose, it'll get absorbed and will help clear congestion.

Go stick a ghost pepper (bhut jolakia) up your nose and report back the results :) hehe

maydog

Feb 5, 2010
I am picturing half of the rats drowning and the other half racing around in RC boats while the researchers eat chips and salsa. Sounds like a fun study.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
awilki01 said:
Go stick a ghost pepper (bhut jolakia) up your nose and report back the results :)  hehe
Did you really recommend sticking your nose in butt? ;)

Agustin8100

Dec 1, 2012
Originally Posted by awilki01 .

Maybe adding hot peppers to every meal will help us a little.....

Source:
Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.Improvement in swimming stamina with the high capsaicin dose is caused by an increase in fatty acid usage as the power source, leading to the sparing of glycogen.I agreed what's said above!!!I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC.Everything in this article is completely true!