Car Rack

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by News.Freeserve., Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
    on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
    would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles
    down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you
    recomend??

thanks

mike

Tags:

2. Saris Bones for the back of a car like that - available in halfords - about £100, pricy but just
    about the best boot mount rack available and will fit most small sports cars / roadsters.

To go better than that get a towbar fitted and get a pendle or similar tobbar mounted rack.

HTH

Russ

"news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
    > on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
    > would be able to use
    to
    > securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being
    > a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you recomend??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > mike

3. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

>would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
    >back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
    >small car??

Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted rack,
    rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving around
    ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

>if possible, which rack would you recomend??

I would start at http://www.roofbox.co.uk - the Men who Know :)

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.

4. Dave Le Good

Dave Le Good Guest

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:40:56 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
    >>back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
    >>small car??
    >
    >Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted
    >rack, rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving
    >around ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

Towbar mounted is a good way to go. I use one in conjunction with a removable tow hitch so that the
    car looks ok when not using the carrier. A lot of miles covered and so far nothing has fallen off.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.