Car Rack

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by News.Freeserve., Feb 24, 2003.

  1. I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
    on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
    would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles
    down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you
    recomend??

    thanks

    mike

    Tags:

  2. Saris Bones for the back of a car like that - available in halfords - about £100, pricy but just
    about the best boot mount rack available and will fit most small sports cars / roadsters.

    To go better than that get a towbar fitted and get a pendle or similar tobbar mounted rack.

    HTH

    Russ

    "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
    > on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
    > would be able to use
    > securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being
    > a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you recomend??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > mike

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
    >back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
    >small car??

    Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted rack,
    rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving around
    ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

    >if possible, which rack would you recomend??

    I would start at http://www.roofbox.co.uk - the Men who Know :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Dave Le Good

    Dave Le Good Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:40:56 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
    >>back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
    >>small car??
    >
    >Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted
    >rack, rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving
    >around ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

    Towbar mounted is a good way to go. I use one in conjunction with a removable tow hitch so that the
    car looks ok when not using the carrier. A lot of miles covered and so far nothing has fallen off.

    Dave