Car Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

News.Freeserve.

I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles
down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you
recomend??

thanks

mike

Saris Bones for the back of a car like that - available in halfords - about £100, pricy but just
about the best boot mount rack available and will fit most small sports cars / roadsters.

To go better than that get a towbar fitted and get a pendle or similar tobbar mounted rack.

HTH

Russ

"news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been carrying my bike halfway to work by car (inside a ford galaxy) and I wish to economise
> on motoring costs by selling one of my cars. Question is would I be able to get a car rack that i
> would be able to use
to
> securly carry my hybrid on the back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being
> a little hopefull for such a small car?? if possible, which rack would you recomend??
>
> thanks
>
> mike

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

>would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
>back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
>small car??

Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted rack,
rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving around
ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

>if possible, which rack would you recomend??

I would start at http://www.roofbox.co.uk - the Men who Know :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:40:56 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:46:00 -0000, "news.freeserve.net" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>would I be able to get a car rack that i would be able to use to securly carry my hybrid on the
>>back of my merc 230slk for about 15 miles down the m1 or am i being a little hopefull for such a
>>small car??
>
>Not at all - but I would seriously recommend having a towbar fitted and using a towbar-mounted
>rack, rather than the Merc roof mount system or a hang-on rack. Although watching the bike moving
>around ona boot-mounted rack when you press the Big Red Switch would be rather amusing :)

Towbar mounted is a good way to go. I use one in conjunction with a removable tow hitch so that the
car looks ok when not using the carrier. A lot of miles covered and so far nothing has fallen off.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.